The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sell to whoever? Or sell to the right buyer? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=704299)

SoCoC10 04-16-2016 12:51 AM

Sell to whoever? Or sell to the right buyer?

1 Attachment(s)
Had a potential buyer come and look at my 72 Cheyenne C10 today. He asked all the right questions on the initial phone call, was on time to look at the truck etc. While on the test drive he mentioned he likes fuel injection and would want to put a LS motor in the truck. Well we talked price and didn't come to an agreement. So he left and said he'd get back to me.

Calls me back tonight and is a hundred under my asking, but I'm having 2nd thoughts about selling such a well optioned, mostly original truck to someone who wants to remove the numbers matching 350ci V8 to install a LS motor.

What do you think? Am I crazy for caring about what a buyer does to the truck after its no longer mine? Or am I sane to not want someone to "mess up" a truck that is pretty well optioned, well documented and pretty nice the way it is/came from the factory?

68bowtie 04-16-2016 12:59 AM

Re: Sell to whoever? Or sell to the right buyer?

it's your truck until you sell it. i get it.

geunther 04-16-2016 01:02 AM

Let him change it. It'l make mine worth more :). Kidding of course.

I personally like original, but also must admit, the LS builds on this site are pretty cool. Full on builds do not really need such an optioned truck, all that coolness gets changed anyway.

Id like to see it go to someone who will keep it original. But, I also believe in who owns it, gets to decide. I guess I believe in the choice to do what we want more than I believe in preserving what I would like to see preserved.

One just hopes it goes to someone with the same mindset.

Thats a long way to say, its a tough decision YOU got to make.

SoCoC10 04-16-2016 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the SPID...

truckster 04-16-2016 01:54 AM

You decide what you want to do with your truck. Once you sell it, the new owner decides what he wants to do with his truck. Numbers matching engines don't really mean much in these trucks, but if that is important to the new owner, he can always store the original engine.

Already Gone 04-16-2016 02:56 AM

This is an ongoing discussion between me and my wife with me thinking as you do that I don't want a sell truck to someone that is going to slam it and stick in an LS motor because I love them original. As much as I hate to say this, once someone has paid you and taken ownership of anything, it is theirs to do with as they see fit.

In The Ten Ring 04-16-2016 03:30 AM

It's hard to imagine something original being cut up. The first online forum I joined was a gun collecting one and to even mention "sporterizing" a weapon got the comment/thread deleted and could get you banned. I feel the same way on these trucks: seeing the lowered and shortened frames really bothers me B U T......

FREEDOM! PERSONAL LIBERTY. People have the right to do what they want with their stuff......I have to remind myself of that. Once I sell something or give it away, I have no more say on what that person does to it.

If you want to keep your truck original, keep the truck. You certainly can try to encourage the buyer to keep it original, you have that right also. It comes down to personal choice. Since I have no children, I'll have to figure out who to give all my stuff to when I depart this reality. It would be nice if the heir kept the truck original but that's up to that person.

tristan 04-16-2016 05:29 AM

Usually I only sell my collectibles if I need money for something else and in that circumstance I am not concerned about what happens to them once $$$s have changed hands. I do have a few items though that I have put into a different category. I view myself as their steward and have charged myself with protecting their condition and originality for the sake of future owners. Your truck would be in that category to me but I can see how not everyone would feel that way.

special-K 04-16-2016 07:34 AM

Pretty much anything I buy is special in some way, so I have to feel the buyer appreciates it when I sell. #3 and #4 are going beyond. Once it's theirs they decide what to do with it. I am saying I have prevented sales based on what the buyers plans were or when I saw they were not focused on what makes the truck what it is. I sold my '72 K/20 Highlander to a friend who appreciated it's rarity when I had a guy bugging me for months to sell it to him. I was actually selling the '72 GMC but he wanted the Chevy because he liked the blue & white 2-tone. The GMC was white with lower trim and blue interior. I told him just add upper trim and add blue upper and lower. He said, "But the Chevy is already lifted". I told him I'd put a lift on the GMC if he buys it. I just didn't appreciate his mentality and kept ignoring him or putting him off. My buddy hands me a wad of cash and says "This is for the Highlander. I'll have the rest next week when a couple cars are sold. What do you want for the total?". Well, I don't hate the GMC, so I took the money knowing the truck went to a good home and kept the GMC

Dirt's72 04-16-2016 08:42 AM

The ones in this thread don't look to stock to me why should it matter to you?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=680115

When I seen the paint job on this one after you sold it it took me a while before I could see again. 😳

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=683975

FlameOut 04-16-2016 08:46 AM

Personally I like the original trucks. They seem to be getting more and more rare with these stupid ls motors and bagging to mimic a honda civic, but money is money

special-K 04-16-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirt's72 (Post 7562414)
The ones in this thread don't look to stock to me why should it matter to you?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=680115

When I seen the paint job on this one after you sold it it took me a while before I could see again. 😳

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=683975

I'm sitting here wondering why you just posted all this when it is obvious he is talking about the blue & white truck he showed a picture of. So, you are saying you don't like Grapefruit on these trucks. That's cool, we all have our preferences. But you will find a lot of people who feel quite the opposite. To me, in my taste, GM didn't use a bad color on any 67-72s and it takes a very special custom color to look right. But that's just one man's opinion.

Ok, let's get back to the topic now.

Dirt's72 04-16-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7562422)
I'm sitting here wondering why you just posted all this when it is obvious he is talking about the blue & white truck he showed a picture of. So, you are saying you don't like Grapefruit on these trucks. That's cool, we all have our preferences. But you will find a lot of people who feel quite the opposite. To me, in my taste, GM didn't use a bad color on any 67-72s and it takes a very special custom color to look right. But that's just one man's opinion.

Ok, let's get back to the topic now.

He stated about changing out matching number 350 motor to an ls that isnt original. Look at his trucks in the first link practically scraping the ground. To my eyes that does not look original. It's pretty obvious and I'm not sure what you are wondering about. Don't get me wrong I love the original gm colors too I just never seen any that were chartreuse. Was that a "special" paint code?

Warrens69GMC 04-16-2016 09:16 AM

I would rather someone tell me their plans for their truck so I can see their vision- when they buy what I have for sale. Beats them lying to me and me seeing them do what they said they wouldn't do.

Who says they will ever do the swap?

Who says the next owner will rebuild the 350 rather than getting a Jeg's crate motor 350 for it?

If you are $100 off from your asking price, its time for it to go...................IMO

truckster 04-16-2016 10:32 AM

Not to be overly critical, but I'd have to ask who added the non-stock wheels and the white paint around the headlight trim. What I'm saying is that you've added touches that make the truck yours. Why try to prevent a future owner from doing the same?

Look at it this way: would you rather sell it to someone who likes the truck but wants fuel injection (and a more reliable, economical, and powerful engine) or someone who tells you what you want to hear?

GASoline71 04-16-2016 10:39 AM

"Anybody can restore a classic. But it takes balls to cut one up." I saw that on a T-shirt at a car show one time and it always come to mind when someone wants to ensure a buyer keeps a vehicle "all original", or maintains it a "certain way". Once money changes hands and titles are signed... all bets are off.

Everybody has their own idea of what they want in an older rig. I met my wife's boss the other day and we went out to his shop and he showed me a very cherry 1968 Camaro RS/SS. I made the comment that it would make a fantastic drag car. He was horrified. :lol:

Again, I don't care all that much for Camaro's but they make great light weight race cars. So views differ no matter who buys or sells a rig. :)

Gary

trac209 04-16-2016 11:17 AM

I've delt with sellers who sort of question what plans are for their vehicle if they sell to you and usually I can just tell them what I think they want to hear. I'm there buy not interview as the buyer. That said when I've sold things I avoid asking any questions about what they plan to do with it for the same reason. Once it's theirs it's not my business.

Dave K. 04-16-2016 12:17 PM

As long as the money is there they can re-enact Ground Hog Day and the quarry scene if they want......

too much stuff 04-16-2016 02:07 PM

Once you agree on a price and the money changes hands, the new owner can do what he/she wants. Part it out, resell the next day...

cypressbog 04-16-2016 03:21 PM

Once the money changes hands, you no longer have any say what happens to the truck. Maybe he'll flip it the next day, maybe chop the top and shorten the frame? Who knows and who cares. Your truck isn't that rare or well optioned anyway.

davepl 04-16-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cypressbog (Post 7562782)
Who knows and who cares. Your truck isn't that rare or well optioned anyway.

Meow.

midniteblues 04-16-2016 04:00 PM

I feel for ya.
The last person that had intrest in my 9ft.c30 wanted too cut it down to a short bed.:crazy:

I sold my Pontiac to a local fella he told me he had a good motor and trans for it.
Thats All it needed was a motor an trans installed after I pulled the bb out of it needed absolutely nothing else.

He took it home rolled it off the trailer and it's been sitting in that field for 3-4yrs untouched.
In the summer the grass almost covers the car.

I would've never sold it too him if I knew that was gonna be it's fate....damn shame.

I cringe and feel disgusted every time I go by it.

cypressbog 04-16-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7562785)
Meow.

Yeah, I guess that didn't come out sounding right.

It's not a factory 2wd blazer, or a factory short bed super with big block, buckets, cruise, tach and tilt.

It's a nice truck that I'd be proud to drive, but just not super rare.

dirtyjim 04-16-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7562327)
It's hard to imagine something original being cut up. The first online forum I joined was a gun collecting one and to even mention "sporterizing" a weapon got the comment/thread deleted and could get you banned.

that sounds like parallax bill's forum, I drove those guys nuts with my builds because I prefer to start off with very good condition undrilled oberndorf gew98's for most of my builds.

well if a potential buyer told me he was gonna do my truck up rat rod style with fake patina, red spray painted wheels and spider webs all over it i'd probably tell him in my best clint eastwood voice to get off my lawn. but then again I never have and never will own a stock all original vehicle because its just i'm my nature to modify everything I own in one way or another.

in all reality as long as the person does a quality job I don't care what they do to it after its theirs

Ruscal 04-16-2016 08:59 PM

Once out of the nest the babies fly away and go as they wish.
Russ