The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   4bt conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=615724)

eastxbbqman 02-08-2014 11:22 AM

4bt conversion

Been looking at some different 4bt swaps that are in various cars and trucks online. I would really like some input from people that have actually done this. Is the shaking that bad? What trannys can I use? Some of them that are for sale already have ford or gm 4 spds behind them. I can live with some rough edges. I do drive a 42 year old truck, not looking for a smooth as silk ride. My truck is a 71 lwb 1/2 ton 350 350 2wd. Thanks for any help y'all can send this way.

Ackattack 02-08-2014 11:37 PM

Re: 4bt conversion

Try here for some real world experience:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forum.php

ryanroo 02-09-2014 11:59 AM

4btswaps is a good place for info.

i have been around one or two of these and performed the swap myself in a 92ish jeep cherokee. the shake is mostly at shutdown and if you are idling in gear with an auto. they they can shake pretty good. driving down the road, they are nice and smooth.

transmission choices are pretty wide open. they came with GM transmissions both manual and auto. they came with ford transmissions behind them as well. any adapter plate that was used on a 6BT can be used on a 4bt. that opens up all of the dodge diesel transmissions to you and any of the SAE pattern transmissions that were behind them in industrial applications.
Destroked is a company that makes a bunch of different flywheel housing/adapter plates that opens up a bunch of other options as well. they have a GM standard bell pattern adapter that takes the tilt out of the OEM ones that step van engines had as well.

i wouldnt be scared to put one in anything that a 6bt wouldnt fit in.

Dieselwrencher 02-09-2014 06:13 PM

You can also add a damper to the crank instead of just a pulley yo help minimize the shake. These are great engines.

1972RedNeck 02-09-2014 09:40 PM

Get one with the adapter to a GM tranny. Make sure you get a flywheel too. If your truck has a manual in it, you can just bolt the engine right to transmission, make two new motor mounts, and be done. It's quite an easy swap.

Dieselwrencher 02-10-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck (Post 6517744)
Get one with the adapter to a GM tranny. Make sure you get a flywheel too. If your truck has a manual in it, you can just bolt the engine right to transmission, make two new motor mounts, and be done. It's quite an easy swap.

Just be sure you regear your rear end if it's geared low other wise all that work will be for nothing.

BLAZERMAN 02-11-2014 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6519574)
Just be sure you regear your rear end if it's geared low other wise all that work will be for nothing.

I agree, I had a 4bt in my old 86 Ford 3/4 ton with a T-19 and 4.10 rear end...it was great around town but didn't do well on the highway. An overdrive would have been nice.

eastxbbqman 02-12-2014 06:45 PM

Thanks. I'm trying to learn from others mistakes before I attempt this.

gerfunken 02-13-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastxbbqman (Post 6522648)
Thanks. I'm trying to learn from others mistakes before I attempt this.

I see, you're just trying to be different. :lol:

I thought I was doing the same thing, researching, asking questions, etc. While I ended up not repeating the mistakes of those I asked, I created a whole new set of mistakes that they couldn't foresee.... But, mistakes aside, this board and a couple of others have been great as resources and for answering questions that I've had along the way.