The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   swapping in a saginaw 3spd OD..need info (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=783560)

spspspspoon 03-19-2019 04:45 PM

swapping in a saginaw 3spd OD..need info

65 short box
I6 OG swapped to a C3 350
OG 3 tree trans and 3.73 rear

just got a 3spd sag? w/OD
its longer than normal

how can I find the gearing of the saginaw it is connected to?
Any info on stock driveshaft that came With OD trucks?
Or other trucks to get from?
anything I need to know about it?
was there a Crossmember in trucks with OD?
pictures or info on crossmember?

Chevy Fleetside 03-20-2019 11:34 AM

Re: swapping in a saginaw 3spd OD..need info

I put one in my truck. No cross member and you will have to measure and get your drive shaft shortened at a driveline shop. I wired up my solenoid with a switch so I turn it on and off when I want. I believe I had to shorten my drive shaft about 6". Short box should not have a center bearing.
On another note. I love the truck on the freeway now. Will cruise at 70 75 MPH. I have 3.73 with 235/75/15 tires also.

cwcarpenter98 03-20-2019 11:16 PM

I just put the Muncie version (4 bolt side cover) in my 63 over Christmas break. Did not have to shorten driveshaft from the old, long tail shaft 3 speed. Just needed a new yoke with different splines. Mine is a long bed, but it had a one piece driveshaft when I got it.
I love it, and it completely changed the driveability of the truck. I can run around 70 mph at around 2200 rpm with 3.73 gears and 255/70r15 tires
I have mine set up to factory operation except for the HEI distributor mod and using a studebaker switch instead of the GM switch to keep costs down.

Here is the one biggest thing that I did not find out until the trans did it: DO NOT let the trans attempt to engage overdrive while the engine is freewheeling. This situation will happen when you are going downhill in a neighborhood and want to stay below the cut in speed of the OD trans (around 28 mph). If you allow the truck to reach that cut in speed, but the engine is sitting at idle, it will try to engage OD, and it made a big clunk and shook the whole truck. I thought I broke something, but thankfully it still works. That makes sense in my head, but if it doesn't to you, let me know so I can clarify more. Don't want anyone to make a possible expensive mistake

weim55 03-22-2019 04:16 PM

For your ratio question, first determine which gearbox you have. Four bolt side cover Muncie or seven bolt side cover saginaw. If it is a Muncie it will have a 2.94 first gear. Saginaw ratio is determined by the number of rings on the input shaft. 0 ring = 2.85, 1 ring = 2.54, 2 rings = 3.11 1st gear ratio.

Steve weim55 Colorado

spspspspoon 03-24-2019 02:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
this is the one I got

Chevy Fleetside 03-24-2019 10:17 AM

How many bolts in the side cover?
If it is 4 and the trans is out of a car you will need to use you original cover from your old 3 speed trans. You should test the solenoid also before you install it.

weim55 03-24-2019 10:18 AM

That's a Saginaw 3 speed with an R10 Warner overdrive from a 1968 Chevy car. Now look at the spline area of the input shaft and see if there are any 360 degree "rings" . Most likely there will be a single ring for the common 2.54 1st gearbox from behind a 307 V8 car.

Steve weim55 Colorado

Ken Cook 03-24-2019 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got one in my 63' behind the 230 inline 6.

I moved the cross member and shortened the driveshaft. It also needed a different yoke, It had less splines. You should get that matched up before you install. That way you can bring the transmission with you to the machine shop. I got lucky, after calling every local part store and getting nowhere, I called the NAPA in Eunice. They make driveshaft's there. The guy in the back were able to figure out what I needed and make up and balance my driveshaft.

I like it. Now I can go 75 on the interstate.

slorio 03-24-2019 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
spspspspoon:
Saw you were interested in installing a 3 speed with overdrive tranny in your truck. I have had one in my GMC behind my 351 V6 for several years now. You will be very happy with that tranny. Mine has been flawless since its install. It is very heavy, so make sure you have help with your install.

I live in Metairie if you would like to have a look.
Regards,
Steve

curvedglass 03-25-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8491362)
I just put the Muncie version (4 bolt side cover) in my 63 over Christmas break. Did not have to shorten driveshaft from the old, long tail shaft 3 speed. Just needed a new yoke with different splines. Mine is a long bed, but it had a one piece driveshaft when I got it.
I love it, and it completely changed the driveability of the truck. I can run around 70 mph at around 2200 rpm with 3.73 gears and 255/70r15 tires
I have mine set up to factory operation except for the HEI distributor mod and using a studebaker switch instead of the GM switch to keep costs down.

Here is the one biggest thing that I did not find out until the trans did it: DO NOT let the trans attempt to engage overdrive while the engine is freewheeling. This situation will happen when you are going downhill in a neighborhood and want to stay below the cut in speed of the OD trans (around 28 mph). If you allow the truck to reach that cut in speed, but the engine is sitting at idle, it will try to engage OD, and it made a big clunk and shook the whole truck. I thought I broke something, but thankfully it still works. That makes sense in my head, but if it doesn't to you, let me know so I can clarify more. Don't want anyone to make a possible expensive mistake

I'd like to know what you did for the HEI. I have a four bolt cover OD to replace my stock 3 speed. I have been piecing together the parts I need for install and getting ready to do the swap. Any wiring advice would be extremely helpful.

thanks in advance.

cwcarpenter98 03-25-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curvedglass (Post 8494163)
I'd like to know what you did for the HEI. I have a four bolt cover OD to replace my stock 3 speed. I have been piecing together the parts I need for install and getting ready to do the swap. Any wiring advice would be extremely helpful.

thanks in advance.

Here is the thread I started on the HEI. Very informative, and has worked great for a couple of months now.

NewBayColony 03-25-2019 09:56 AM

I'm about to do this to my 72 292 C20. I got 4.57s and I want to do a little interstate cruisin.

spspspspoon 06-19-2019 01:46 PM

in meteria!
that's great
I'm in 7th ward

hit me up
Spoon

spspspspoon 06-22-2019 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weim55 (Post 8493466)
That's a Saginaw 3 speed with an R10 Warner overdrive from a 1968 Chevy car. Now look at the spline area of the input shaft and see if there are any 360 degree "rings" . Most likely there will be a single ring for the common 2.54 1st gearbox from behind a 307 V8 car.

so I will get more pics
how easy to tell gearing?
any other than just figuring how to shift it
(might have a 3 or maybe 4 speed top shift for a muncie I Think) and rolling and counting?
so will it work with my 65 Well?
235/55 or 60/20" tires.. stock 3 on tree non synchro (not 7 bolt cover)
3.73 rear
83 Corvette sbc..maybe 400hp when exhaust done n quad tuned
easier to bolt Whole thing in(7 bolt cover)?
isnt ODs mated to cars OR trucks?
or swap OD to current

spspspspoon 07-26-2020 04:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more pics
any info on Gearing will help alot
looking to put it in my 65 with ABC
And keep 3ott

as well as selector positioning for the gears?
is it different from stock sm318?