The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pulley Problems - Do I have all the right stuff? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=724302)

KyleSeal 12-07-2016 07:38 PM

Pulley Problems - Do I have all the right stuff?

3 Attachment(s)
Building a '70s 350 for my '70 Chevy, and I have the correct alternator bracket and power steering pump I believe, and a long water neck. But nothing lines up! I have a new pulley on the PS pump but it seems to be very close if not exact to the original (original was bent). Is the crank pulley correct?

Photos attached.

storm9c1 12-08-2016 12:48 AM

Re: Pulley Problems - Do I have all the right stuff?

Original '70 would have came with a short water pump. Which also means different alignment for the PS pulley. If you keep the long water pump, then you need a PS pump and pulley for a long water pump setup.

Is the crank pulley for short or long water pump?

If it's for short water pump, then you will also need to change your water pump. Or get the correct crank pulleys for a long setup. The original crank pulleys for a short water pump would be stacked, meaning the PS crank pulley is a separate bolt-on pulley that stacks on to the crank pulley. If I recall correctly.

You aren't the first nor the last to get mixed up with this. There are probably 100 different pulley setups for the SBC spanning decades.

Sometimes it's easier to pull a complete accessory setup off something in a junkyard and replace/rebuild the parts for that year vehicle.

Captainfab 12-08-2016 12:56 AM

No you do not. You have a long water pump and the water pump pulley looks like a long pump pulley. Then you have short water pump pulleys on the crank. The power steering pump and bracket are for a short water pump. However it looks like the PS pump pulley does not line up with the correct groove on the crank.

As storm9c1 said, your '70 originally came with a short water pump, as did all trucks from '55-'72 with both small blocks and big blocks.

crazy longhorn 12-08-2016 01:18 AM

The steer pump/brackets, look right for your 70.....I agree with Capt fab, the water pump is 73-up, as is the top pulley. Understand, that any sb Chev, is the same distance, from the front of the balancer, but ALL of the pullies/parts need to come off the same engine;) Longhorn

PGSigns 12-08-2016 08:58 AM

Kyle when I did my 66 I went to a long pump and used everything form a 75 truck. A trip to the junk yard to get it all off one car or truck will get you what you need.
Jimmy