The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What about 441 heads??????? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=89184)

grovmister 02-06-2004 05:44 PM

What about 441 heads???????

I am thinking of building a 383 stroker engine, I want to use the edelbrock performer series intake, cam & lifters, HEI with curve Kit, and a Qjet carb. I have been looking for a set of heads, and Car Shop Inc. has 2 different sets available.
1. A set of High Velocity Small block Chevy Heads (part
#HD601 for $329.00. Specs are as follows: casting ends with 416

High velocity design

58cc chambers

New Guides

New 1.94 / 1.5 valves

New high lift valve springs

New retainers and valve locks

New valve guide seals

3 angle performance valve job

resurfaced

pressure tested

These heads are completely rebuilt with all new parts. Chambers are machined in the intake valve area for improved flow with the oversize 1.94 intake valves.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or a set of their HI-PO 350 Chevy Heads
HD01 $479.95. Specs are as follows:

Includes all new stainless steel valves, H.D. valve springs, moly retainers, valve locks, seals and guides. Heads are updated for unleaded fuel use with hardened exhaust seats.

All heads are thoroughly cleaned and magnafluxed. High performance 2.02 and 1.60 valves machined using our race proven multi-angle radiused valve job and bowl cut.

NO CORE CHARGE

All heads are perimeter valve cover mounting style with accessory mounting holes. These are the open chamber 74cc style heads.

Available Options:
Rocker Studs: Press inScrew in (+$80.00)

My local machine shop wants $160 per head to rebuild a set of heads, which doesn't include new intake valves.

What do you guys think I should do?

Also, what crank and rods would be a good choice?

grovmister 02-06-2004 05:48 PM

I just heard back and they recomend that I go with the Hi Po with a 1.94/1.5 valve combo with screw in studs for $530. They can't guarantee cast #'s but most are 882, 941, or possibly 293.

What do you think?

lukecp 02-06-2004 06:48 PM

IMO, $530 for a pair of 194/150 smog heads isn't the best way to spend your money. For a few hundred more you can have some brand new aftermarket heads (Dart, World Products, Pro Topline, or even a pair of Vortecs).

58cc 305 heads (which is what the 416's are) will bump your compression around to 10:1, and require 91-octane or higher fuel with a flattop piston 350. The 74cc heads will have you in the 8.5:1 compression ratio unless you go with domed pistons. Not the greatest for a performance engine, although you can easily run 87 octane.

bigjimzlll 02-06-2004 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by grovmister
I just heard back and they recomend that I go with the Hi Po with a 1.94/1.5 valve combo with screw in studs for $530. They can't guarantee cast #'s but most are 882, 941, or possibly 293.

What do you think?

Hi...just say no...I know they sound like a great deal and all...but they are not performance heads..never will be..they are not even very good GM castings. Look into Vortecs or anyone of the other great aftermarket deals out there..

cableguy0 02-06-2004 08:44 PM

they are not performance heads in the least bit this company is out to make money not sell good heads. go with something else

76HighSierra 02-07-2004 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cableguy0
they are not performance heads in the least bit this company is out to make money not sell good heads. go with something else
Ditto to what he said :D. The reason they are pushing the smog heads on you, is that there are a ton of them available (because no one wants them). They want to get rid of them, plus make some scratch at the same time. Don't get me wrong, the smog heads (like 882's....I've used them) can be made to perform, but for the money you will need to perform the necessary mods, many far better flowing heads are available.

cableguy0 02-07-2004 04:08 PM

i myself have a set of 882's and they kickass compared to most iron heads but that didnt come cheap im too deep in these heads now. im switching to brodix track 1's in the near future. get a set of aftermarket heads and dont make the same mistakes i did. its cheaper in the long run to just buy a good aftermarket head that flows better out of the box than the iron heads ever will

ucmydust68 02-07-2004 04:37 PM

i actually fell for there gimmick and bought some. man was that dumb of me, i was so dissapointed, drove it for 1400 miles and sold the motor, now with 415ci fuel injection and a six speed im all smiles!!
save your money, get what you want, and smile with the rest of us!!!
youll be glad you did