The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Rear disc conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=618061)

K10mashup350 02-24-2014 11:29 PM

Rear disc conversion

I know there are a ton of threads on this topic, but nothing that gave me the answers I was looking for.... I will be doing this conversion with the astro discs and calipers, with my own custom brackets....

My questions are...
Do I need to remove my axles to do this swap? I hope I don't have to as I don't want to open it up yet then want to upgrade the 12bolt rear I have just yet but if I open it up I'm going to want to while it's open but just don't have the cash for that yet :( ... An I have no issues with unbolting/ cutting prying all the old crap drum stuff off the truck

With all the different designs to the caliper brackets is there anything that I should make sure I incorporate Into my designs ... I have been thinking an sketching up a 2 piece bolt on setup in a "u-shape" that slides over the axle, one "u" facing one direction and the other opposite (or best suited just not same location) but still capable of using all 4 mounting bolts (as opposed to the 3bolt setups I've seen)

Do I need a proportion valve? some say yes some say no?

Should I be concerned with my master or is it ok... Would it be best to get a disc/disc combination valve? .... All of the above? Some? None?

Btw the truck is a 73-80 c10 frame with I believe an original 12 bolt rear end 5x5 bolt pattern

panhandler62 02-25-2014 07:37 AM

Re: Rear disc conversion

The only question I can answer for sure is; Yes, you need a correct proportioning valve. If I recall; you can get adjustable valves that can be fine tuned for pretty reasonable money.

K10mashup350 02-25-2014 08:59 AM

Ok thank you....it's just with all the info I have read on the topic not everyone uses one or if they do they don't say they did

aggie91 02-25-2014 10:58 AM

You really should change out the master cylinder to a Disc/Disc one and use the adjustable proportioning valve.

As far as removing axles, if you have no issue cutting the backing plates, then I do not see why you would have to remove the axle. If you are doing your own brackets, just make sure that you can get the bolts/nuts on with the axle in place...

K10mashup350 02-25-2014 11:03 AM

Any recommendations on the master? Could one off a newer chev truck work? Or is there a "mod" I can do to my master an prop valve to make work with disc/disc.... I'd really rather not change my master as well as I'm on a tight budget to get it done an starting to run outta time, the rear breaks were the last thing that were supposed to be done but wasn't supposed to be a conversion till I seen how bad the original drum stuff was.... An figured if I have to replace every piece of the drum setup might as well change to disc

K10mashup350 02-25-2014 11:31 AM

Could I use the prop valve an master off a 99-05 chevy truck with 4wheel discs?

Sorry just thinking as many parts as possible I can grab from an auto wrecker on the cheap

aggie91 02-25-2014 11:46 AM

Power or Manual?

I did power brakes and was able to use my original booster.

I used this MC I got at RockAuto.com:

2000 CHEVROLET S10 PICKUP 4.3L V6 OHV
Master Cylinder CENTRIC Part # 13066043 Premium Master Cylinder

If you need a booster use this one from RockAuto:
1967 CHEVROLET C10 PICKUP 5.3L 327cid V8
Power Brake Booster A-1 CARDONE Part # 5473709 Reman. Vacuum Power Brake Booster w/o Master Cylinder

I used an adjustable prop valve like this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3905/overview/

My set up was with Corvette C5 dual piston front calipers and C5 single piston rear calipers and worked great.

K10mashup350 02-25-2014 11:56 AM

It's my first big brake job only ever replaced components.... But power I believe, so forgive me in advance for the dumb noobie questions. But the "big" circular thing behind the master is the booster for power correct? Yes I have that

But yet can't I use a prop valve and master off the 99-05 chev trucks with discs?