The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   My whole braking system - thinking out loud (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=392348)

smashingchuck 03-15-2010 10:07 PM

My whole braking system - thinking out loud

Alright guys, my current braking system (whats left of it) is stock.

For the rear, I want to do a disk conversion, and use the wilwood d52 calipers. Whats the most ecomical kit to get me there? I am not opposed to putting my own kit togehter or scabbing parts from the junkyard, but I deffinatley want the pretty calipers.

In the front, I'm thinking of sticking with the stock rotors for now, and also going with the wilwood d52's.

Now, that being said, I need to figure out the rest. What brakelines do I need to run? What prop valve should I run? Should I just toss the stock prop valve and get an adjustable one?

My M/C is under the dash, and leaves no room for a booster. I currently have a stepped bore M/C from a 85 c10 with manual brakes. Is this going to work or is there something I can step up to that will really make a difference?

That ought to be enough questions to get the conversation started... :lol:

smashingchuck 03-17-2010 04:45 PM

Re: My whole braking system - thinking out loud

hmmmmm

JW76 03-17-2010 08:45 PM

i am interested in the same thing.

N2TRUX 03-17-2010 10:07 PM

What size wheel you goning to run?

smashingchuck 03-17-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 3866631)
What size wheel you goning to run?

me? 20 x 8.5 fornt 20x10 rear.

N2TRUX 03-17-2010 10:26 PM

I feel that if your after aesthetics as well as performance, 13" rotors would "look" better than 12" rotors. I have been contemplating a rear disc conversion for quit some time, and wanting a 13" rotor "and" an E-brake has been a big dilemma for me.

smashingchuck 03-18-2010 03:57 PM

Who makes a 13" kit that fits the rear and how much is it? Using the method I descibed, I'll have about $700 into the rear. I am not concerned with an e-brake. I would also like the calipers to be "eye catching".

Also my concern with the 13" up front is that I would loose my 3" drop spindle in favor of the 2.5 modular spindle. I am not thrilled to give up that 1/2" as my truck sits perfect (control arms about 1/4" off the ground) with my current set up.

Inverter 03-18-2010 08:06 PM

Did you see what SSBC has for the c10's? I havent looked but was putting together a kit for my 1500. i would have to use the cadillac style for the rear conversion,,,calipers are ugly. There are some nice caliper and rotor upgrades for the front though. I'll see what they offer for the c10 and get back w/you. The best I could come up w/was $3K for front/rear.Not even B/Bs....
I think you will need a booster and maybe a 1.25 bore master cyl to push fluid to those rear disks.

smashingchuck 03-18-2010 09:17 PM

I won't be using the seville calipers because of the looks, which is why I want to sub them for the d52 wilwoods. If I recall, the m/c I have has a huge bore for the rear,, I think it actually is 1.125.

If I absolutley have to I will run a booster, but that is going to make things way more difficult. (like remote master cylinder difficult)

Inverter 03-19-2010 12:22 AM

So you are going to use the cad style rear conversion and sub a d52 for the caliper?
If so, all you need is some cross drilled ( standard size ) rotors, another set of d52s and your done. How is it that you have manual brakes?

Big brakes are great but 4 dual piston calipers and drilled rotors will be plenty for a short 1/2 ton,,especially w/good driving habits.

smashingchuck 03-19-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 3869181)
So you are going to use the cad style rear conversion and sub a d52 for the caliper?
If so, all you need is some cross drilled ( standard size ) rotors, another set of d52s and your done. How is it that you have manual brakes?

not enough room for the booster the way I did my M/C under the dash. Poor judgment on my part...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 3869181)
Big brakes are great but 4 dual piston calipers and drilled rotors will be plenty for a short 1/2 ton,,especially w/good driving habits.

Kind of what I was thinking.... plus I think it will look at least half way decent. What kind of rotors should I be looking at?

Inverter 03-19-2010 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingchuck (Post 3869204)
What kind of rotors should I be looking at?

I'm not sure but Im looking at getting some standard size that are cross drilled/slotted. There are quite a few brands,Be sure to get lefts and rights.
Standard diam. , of course.the site says the d52 is a direct replacement?

It will look B/A and you'll gain at least 25% more stopping power over oem.
I can't help you w/the prop valve thing.I'm still worried I might have to redo my setup. I need to get it worked out before paint.You know what brake fluid will do to the finish..?...

smashingchuck 03-19-2010 02:04 AM

Actually for the money this kit doesn't look to bad. Any opinions?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-140-10094D/

smashingchuck 03-19-2010 02:22 AM

I was just looking at the Willwood site and noticed they make the D52 in two different piston sizes... which ones would be better for the front and rear? Also, I know I have the 1.25 rotors up front, is that what the rears would be with something similar to a black bird kit?

http://www.wilwood.com/CaliperList.a...0Dual%20Piston

and while I'm posting links, anyone ever used this stuff or have any opinions on it?

http://store.fedhillusa.com/
http://store.fedhillusa.com/images/heart175.jpg

smashingchuck 03-19-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 3866697)
I have been contemplating a rear disc conversion for quit some time, and wanting a 13" rotor "and" an E-brake has been a big dilemma for me.

Wilwood seems to make the kit you are after:

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKitsProd...no=140-10093-D

63chevyll 03-19-2010 05:38 PM

i run 4 wheel disc on my nova with out power assist and it worked pretty good

smashingchuck 03-19-2010 06:03 PM

Well here it what I have figured out. All the Wilwood kits have an internal "shoe" parking brake built into them... so thats a no go on a wilwood kit. So basically what I have figured out is that I want to do is this:

Wilwood Calipers
Slotted and drilled rotors
no parking brake

What application are you guys using to buy the drilled rotors?

63chevyll 03-19-2010 11:35 PM

my buddy with a street rod uses a line lock and a caliper on his drive shaft for his
e-brake

thought it was cool and wanted to share

smashingchuck 03-22-2010 08:17 PM

Well here is what I have figured out so far. For the front, I'm going to run the Wilwood D-52 calipers PN 120-10936-RD. CPP currently has these on sale w/free shipping aand they come with the lines. For rotors I'm going to use the Summit Racing brand drilled and slotted rotors. Thats wraps up the front.

For the rear I'm planning on using another drilled and slotted rotor from Summit. The application is for a 95 Impala SS. The rear calipers will also be the D-52 (PN 120-10938-RD) but will have the smaller bore size.

I still need to find a source for rear caliper brackets. People are not very fourth-coming with information about their brackets (so far no one has told me they make a bracket to fit this caliper) and they really dont want to sell "just the bracket". So I might be on my own with that one. If any one has any ideas on who might make a rear bracket that would really help at this stage!!

protrash64 03-22-2010 09:45 PM

I was reading this and thought I'd let you know that Captainfab makes disc brackets for the rear. Maybe check the 60-66 parts section. He is always posting in the 60-66 forums. Not sure about the caliper type.

smashingchuck 03-22-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3876205)
I was reading this and thought I'd let you know that Captainfab makes disc brackets for the rear. Maybe check the 60-66 parts section. He is always posting in the 60-66 forums. Not sure about the caliper type.

He told me that they wouldn't work.... ?

Inverter 03-23-2010 12:51 AM

This may not help but it's all I could think of. They're weld on.
www.1speedway.com/Brackets.htm

Captainfab 03-23-2010 01:03 AM

That is correct.....the rear disc brackets that I currently make won't work with the d52 calipers. I told you that before researching the calipers, which I shouldn't have done.....my appologies. Since the d52's are a direct replacement for the full size GM calipers, a set of brackets shouldn't be difficult for me to design and fabricate.

You say that you are wanting to go with the Impala SS rotor. I've got one of those to work with, so I'll have to look into getting one of the d52 calipers. Give me a day or two to get something going on this....I'll post back here when I have an update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashingchuck (Post 3876246)
He told me that they wouldn't work.... ?

SCOTI 03-23-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3876667)
That is correct.....the rear disc brackets that I currently make won't work with the d52 calipers. I told you that before researching the calipers, which I shouldn't have done.....my appologies. Since the d52's are a direct replacement for the full size GM calipers, a set of brackets shouldn't be difficult for me to design and fabricate.

You say that you are wanting to go with the Impala SS rotor. I've got one of those to work with, so I'll have to look into getting one of the d52 calipers. Give me a day or two to get something going on this....I'll post back here when I have an update.

Someone that has some D52 calipers should send Captain a set. Help him help us!

smashingchuck 03-23-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3876667)

I just ordered a set of the Wilwood's off of eBay last night. You are more than welcome to use them for a mock up.

Believe it or not this leads me to another question... I noticed on the current brackets you make it looks like it mounts the caliper at the 3 o'clock position. Is it possible to clock it slightly upwards so it "matches" the position of the front caliper?

Thanks a million for getting something going on this... :)