The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Rear bag mounting pics please (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310271)

tk-mpl 10-12-2008 10:53 PM

Rear bag mounting pics please

I am in the middle of putting in a rear c-notch, cpp trailing arm crossmember and redoning my rear air bag setup. The PO put in really small bags and some really messy blocks/brackets..
My first question is how are you guys mounting your air bags?? When you put in the c-notch are you taking out the rear spring upper plate. Are you mounting the bag to the trailing arm with just one bolt up through the trailing arm.. If you got any pics I would like to see them..
Second I was wondering what bags you guys are running. I was going to get the Doninators, but wasn't sure if they were to big for the front and rear.

Thanx.
Trevor

draggin86 10-12-2008 11:18 PM

Re: Rear bag mounting pics please

here is my 86 with f9000

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...7/125_2598.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...7/125_2600.jpg

tk-mpl 10-12-2008 11:34 PM

Wow, that is alittle out of my league. I am just putting a c-notch and cpp crossmember.
But, is that ever nice...

smashingchuck 10-13-2008 12:44 AM

here is what I've got...

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1223874173

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1223874194

RunninLo 10-13-2008 01:21 AM

Mine on my '72 burb

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...b/DSC00617.jpg
Josh

tk-mpl 10-13-2008 09:47 PM

Got the c-notch finshed off today... Should of taken some pics, but everybody has see it before..

smashingchuck 10-13-2008 11:15 PM

I must say that it is refreshing to see people running the correct bag on the rear in this thread.

blazer2007 10-14-2008 10:40 AM

what would the wrong bag be,I,m going to do mine here soon ,would like to know

leftcoast66 10-14-2008 11:38 AM

I'm guessing a dual convoluted bag. Sleeve bags are better for this application, atleast with ride quality in that mounting area. Besides that, I don't know...

RunninLo 10-14-2008 11:40 AM

well every bag pictured here so far is a F9000 "sleeve" bag. The double convolute bag aka firestone 2600lb, Slam specialties RE-7 RE-8, etc. are also popular in rear aplications but many feel they are not ideal. Neither bag is "wrong" just suitable for different apps.

Josh

stunna 10-14-2008 02:54 PM

Man u guys have some beautiful rear suspensions!! Its just like art or something. My suspension will not be as elaborate but i can appreciate your work, AWESOME!!

tk-mpl 10-14-2008 03:46 PM

Ya, I wish I had to time and $$$ for something like that. But I will just have to keep it simple. I have a hard time getting the simple stuff done. 20 min. here and 20 min. there just ain't cutting it..

leftcoast66 10-14-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunninLo (Post 2929669)
well every bag pictured here so far is a F9000 "sleeve" bag. The double convolute bag aka firestone 2600lb, Slam specialties RE-7 RE-8, etc. are also popular in rear aplications but many feel they are not ideal. Neither bag is "wrong" just suitable for different apps.

Josh

Mk, that's what I thought. Wasn't sure w/ how sure the other poster was about how it was wrong. Thanks for clearin it up.

Slammed67 10-14-2008 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this what you are looking for? I have a single bolt through the trailing arm. The upper bags studs go through the notch and frame. The studs were barely long enough to go through the frame and notch (only a couple of threads showing). Not that they are going to fall out, but I'd like to know what others are doing to remedy this situation. My thought was to remove the notch and enlarge the holes in the frame (large enough for a socket the size of the nut to fit through). Then bolt the notch back on, put the nuts on the studs and tighten them down. Then the bag would actually be bolted to the notch only. Make sense?

SCOTI 10-14-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed67 (Post 2930131)
Is this what you are looking for? I have a single bolt through the trailing arm. The upper bags studs go through the notch and frame. The studs were barely long enough to go through the frame and notch (only a couple of threads showing). Not that they are going to fall out, but I'd like to know what others are doing to remedy this situation. My thought was to remove the notch and enlarge the holes in the frame (large enough for a socket the size of the nut to fit through). Then bolt the notch back on, put the nuts on the studs and tighten them down. Then the bag would actually be bolted to the notch only. Make sense?

Flip the bag or swap to Slams :) .

Since you already have the Stones, they can be inverted vs. the way you have them installed. This allows for the use of a bolt that gets the correct amount of thread engagement through the c-notch + frame + reinforcement plate. For the trailing arms, 'clock' the bag so the studs straddle the C/L of the trailing arms 2-halves. Drill 3/8" holes for the studs & the larger 1/2" hole for the air fitting. Route the airline so it's not contacting anything & call it done.

I had them installed this way in my 68 because of the same issue w/there barely being enough thread to secure the studs through the frame & notch.

Slams use bolts on top & bottom so they're more user friendly on these trucks. I'm not sure what newer Stones use these days either.....

tk-mpl 10-14-2008 08:39 PM

Slammed67, that is exactly the kind of pic I was looking for and I too had the same questions about the studs on the top.
What do you guys think of the Dominators for installing??

Anybody got more pics to help a rookie out..

DrtyJack75 10-14-2008 09:05 PM

What's with all the bolts? Just making stronger or is there another reason Im not seeing??

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunninLo (Post 2927768)

SCOTI 10-14-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrtyJack75 (Post 2930389)
What's with all the bolts? Just making stronger or is there another reason Im not seeing??

That's Porterbuilts bolt-in rear 'Dropmember'.

TylerHuff 10-14-2008 09:30 PM

slammed67 could you post up some more pics of your setup im also needing some pics

gringoloco 10-14-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed67 (Post 2930131)
My thought was to remove the notch and enlarge the holes in the frame (large enough for a socket the size of the nut to fit through). Then bolt the notch back on, put the nuts on the studs and tighten them down. Then the bag would actually be bolted to the notch only. Make sense?

This would work well, I think. You could also use a bolt-in style bag like a Slam or Dominator. Scoti's idea would work if you don't wanna buy new bags, I'd just be a little leery of air line routing...
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk-mpl (Post 2930328)
Slammed67, that is exactly the kind of pic I was looking for and I too had the same questions about the studs on the top.
What do you guys think of the Dominators for installing??

Anybody got more pics to help a rookie out..

I have the Domintors on my pick-up. Night and day difference in ride vs. Slams and no problems so far. I'd say the Slams are more of a sporty feeling bag vs. the Doms that are more plush. Check out MrShelley's FAQ for good pics on rear bag installs.

tk-mpl 10-15-2008 12:24 AM

Thanx, I found the air bag install in the FAQ's. I saved most of the pics for future ref.
I think I am going to go with the Doninators.

Slammed67 10-15-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

slammed67 could you post up some more pics of your setup im also needing some pics
What specifically do you need pictures of?

TylerHuff 10-15-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed67 (Post 2930980)
What specifically do you need pictures of?

how your frame is notched, how low it sits in the back, and what you had to do to leave the stock trailing arms, or did you just pull the coil and put an air bag in there

Slammed67 10-15-2008 09:38 AM

I'm in KC so if you'd like to come by and check it out in person, let me know. You can e-mail me at jason (at) jayspot (dot) com.

SCOTI 10-15-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 2930660)
This would work well, I think. You could also use a bolt-in style bag like a Slam or Dominator. Scoti's idea would work if you don't wanna buy new bags, I'd just be a little leery of air line routing...

I have the Domintors on my pick-up. Night and day difference in ride vs. Slams and no problems so far. I'd say the Slams are more of a sporty feeling bag vs. the Doms that are more plush. Check out MrShelley's FAQ for good pics on rear bag installs.

What's the diff between the 'Dominators' & Stones?