The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   LMC parts made in Thialand & Taiwan (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=608806)

texjake 12-20-2013 10:08 PM

LMC parts made in Thialand & Taiwan

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just ashamed that I'm putting these Thailand & Taiwanese parts on my good ol' made in the USA 68' Chevy truck. I know for a fact that some of these aftermarket parts dang sure don't fit like the original parts do! Too bad an American company like that doesn't supply repop parts for American built trucks from the 50's 60's & 70's can't reproduce their own parts right here in the good ol' USA!

franken 12-20-2013 10:13 PM

Re: LMC parts made in Thialand & Taiwan

It's your choice. If you're ashamed, choose differently next time.

I'd guess Chevy truck parts in Lubbock are dirty, but easily found.
Almost any new body part is almost certainly from Asia.
Did you look on CL, here, or ebay for a used part?
For normal wear parts, you can still go to the local parts store.

69Rumbler 12-20-2013 10:18 PM

Hahah everything is made there .. Better then china ! The quality is a little better but , the thing about Americans is that we don't want to pay ! ( I'm in the manufacturing business ) stuff made her cost to much

Cordless57 12-20-2013 10:20 PM

Good thing Taiwan isn't in China.

leddzepp 12-20-2013 10:22 PM

69Rumbler is right...stuff can be made here, but nobody wants to pay the price. We the consumer are the very reason stuff is made overseas.

Robwoods70k10 12-20-2013 10:23 PM

Yeah it sucks to use reproduction parts,believe me I work in a body shop and have to deal with it a LOT,but with some time,and a good eye,they can be made tolerable.a lot of us have more time than cash so we don't mind a little extra work to make our trucks slick,besides workin on them is the fun part anyways

davischevy 12-20-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 6428036)
69Rumbler is right...stuff can be made here, but nobody wants to pay the price. We the consumer are the very reason stuff is made overseas.

Amen

special-K 12-20-2013 10:55 PM

Are parts made in Thailand?

Sillyoldman 12-20-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6428010)
I'm just ashamed that I'm putting these Thailand & Taiwanese parts on my good ol' made in the USA 68' Chevy truck. I know for a fact that some of these aftermarket parts dang sure don't fit like the original parts do! Too bad an American company like that doesn't supply repop parts for American built trucks from the 50's 60's & 70's can't reproduce their own parts right here in the good ol' USA!

Stand your ground!

Grumpy old man 12-20-2013 11:37 PM

The only reason to buy reproduction parts is the "I WANT IT NOW SYNDROME " there are plenty of parts available you just have to find them and that takes time which nobody thinks they have enough of !You want a real american made truck go find the parts you want a truck with a bunch of over seas crap on it buy from the speed shops and aftermarket outlets ! It's that easy ....:uhmk:

texjake 12-21-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franken (Post 6428021)
It's your choice. If you're ashamed, choose differently next time.

I'd guess Chevy truck parts in Lubbock are dirty, but easily found.
Almost any new body part is almost certainly from Asia.
Did you look on CL, here, or ebay for a used part?
For normal wear parts, you can still go to the local parts store.

Most of the time when you order replacement parts you are unaware until you receive your parts when they were mfg at. Most companies like LMC, Brothers etc. do not indicate where the part you are ordering is mfg in what country. I have looked on CL for some parts but its not everyday someone is going to be listing OE parts for a 68' Chevy C-10. Yea, parts can be dusty here, but that aint nothing, they can always be cleaned. I would rather deal with a dusty part than a rusty part anyday.... :chevy:

Russ.W. 12-21-2013 02:41 AM

I just got a few parts in from LMC - cab corners & outer rockers (Key Parts/Tri-plus), and a pitman arm - all are made in Taiwan.

Quality of the cab corners and rockers seems very solid.

Spartan 12-21-2013 04:16 AM

True sad. They could be made in USA. Wouldn't be much more expensive. The issue is more complex but I recommend going through your house and throwing away everything not made in the USA and seeing what's left.

I couldn't find a microwave made in USA so I decided I didn't need one. Now I just plan my meals better.

Every chance I get. I buy locally. If not local then I try to source USA made. I am making a stand because a country that doesn't make things for itself ceases to exist.
My 2%

For my trucks... Well I'm in the same boat, but at least they are being saved and displayed as something that was built to last by Americans.

coueshunter 12-21-2013 06:34 AM

As he types on a cell phone or computer

Grumpy old man 12-21-2013 06:44 AM

But the cell phone and computer we all use didn't come with a MADE IN AMERICA designation ! Our trucks did and I think we should use every option available to keep them that way !

Or buy some stickers that say SOMEWHAT MADE IN AMERICA and stick those in you door jam so we can judge your ride correctly at the show ! Using fake fenders/beds/floors/hoods/etc etc means your not "Restoring" your ride by using out of the box bolt on parts , Your just enforcing the "I WANT IT NOW " mindset . it costs more to restore original metal than buy a new shiny one in a box ! I bought a new CAST IRON Ingersol Rand air compressor yesterday for my '67 build and I could have saved hundreds of dollars buying an aluminum harbor freight or similar brand but for me an American made brand was the answer .

hamjet 12-21-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coueshunter (Post 6428396)
As he types on a cell phone or computer

Ya beat me to it. Its imposible to not use anything in our life that isn't made in another country. Ya want a cup of coffee? turn on your electric coffee pot. by the way, the alarm clock that woke you up was made in china. we're sunk!

Elliot949 12-21-2013 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 6428159)
The only reason to buy reproduction parts is the "I WANT IT NOW SYNDROME " there are plenty of parts available you just have to find them and that takes time which nobody thinks they have enough of !You want a real american made truck go find the parts you want a truck with a bunch of over seas crap on it buy from the speed shops and aftermarket outlets ! It's that easy ....:uhmk:

I have spent 3 years looking for good used OE parts for my truck... all of the parts on the front of this truck are rust free OE parts... the bed is Aftermarket Bedsides are Dynacorn and are very nice parts... I bought this complete bed from Classic Parts of America... In comparing my bed to a friends LMC bed mine seems to be a little bit crisper stamping... Coincidence you say?... Maybe, but this is a nice bed... So I agree Patience is a virtue when building these trucks... There are goof used parts out there that take less time to work over than trying to fit the Asian crap to look good...

JMHO... Dan

TxTan 12-21-2013 09:46 AM

When I first got my truck, I made the uneducated mistake of ordering all of my parts from LMC. When I received the parts, and saw where they were being manufactured it was disheartening!

Since finding this forum I have become more educated about how to restore my truck, and have learned what/where to look for parts!

Dave K. 12-21-2013 09:54 AM

Overseas parts are part of the reason this hobby exists. Many, many of the trucks still on the road are there because the low-end collector can afford to do them--because of cheaper foreign parts. Honestly the quality is not that different from what I've seen. In addition I work in the manufacturing side of things and spend a lot of time overseas. The folks I run across are some of the hardest working people I've seen AND they don't have near the beneifts that US workers get hence the lower prices as well. At the end of the day what fight do you want to fight? I wouldn't get my undies in a bundle over this. Life is short, enjoy your ride and look for original parts to replace the foreign ones down the road if it really scuffs your chaps. I doubt very much the truck cares one bit and is happy to be on the road.

**I do agree with the comment about needing things NOW. We aren't patient anymore and demand fast delivery on everything. I'm a lot more relaxed about projects and getting them done right away and am patient.

Eddie H. 12-21-2013 09:55 AM

Nowadays, it is more difficult to find anything that is truly Made in the USA. Take cars for example. Which is more American, a Chevy that is assembled in Mexico, or a Toyota assembled in Tennessee? I remember back in the mid 80's Chrysler had a big ad campaign " the pride is back, Made in America" The only problem with that was that their best selling vehicle at that time was assembled in Canada and had a Mitsubishi engine in it.

diggerbob 12-21-2013 09:59 AM

There aren't enough Americans left who will tough it out working on a concrete floor for 10 hours a day grinding out truck parts. Production workers are a dying breed in the good ole USA. I am afraid that we have grown a bit soft.

Dave K. 12-21-2013 10:02 AM

Soft indeed. I've worked in some of the toughest places on the planet for long durations. I show the wear and feel it as well but the tough American is a dying breed indeed.

Elliot949 12-21-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggerbob (Post 6428493)
There aren't enough Americans left who will tough it out working on a concrete floor for 10 hours a day grinding out truck parts. Production workers are a dying breed in the good ole USA. I am afraid that we have grown a bit soft.

A bit soft??????????... We are totally pampered spoiled brats... LOL... unfortunately we are all trying to be in the 1% instead of just enjoying life... Look at the lottery sales and that will prove my point... We Americans want something for nothing so our labor rates are through the roof and unfortunately it is for substandard work... Take the Burger Flippers that think they should make 15.00 plus an hour saying they can't live on 8.00 an hour... Well DUH!!!... These jobs were and are not meant for a family to live off of...
My point is this is all relevant to the manufacturing aspect of parts and everything else... Ok... I put my soapbox back up... Dan

BrianG 12-21-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 6428503)
A bit soft??????????... We are totally pampered spoiled brats... LOL... unfortunately we are all trying to be in the 1% instead of just enjoying life... Look at the lottery sales and that will prove my point... We Americans want something for nothing so our labor rates are through the roof and unfortunately it is for substandard work... Take the Burger Flippers that think they should make 15.00 plus an hour saying they can't live on 8.00 an hour... Well DUH!!!... These jobs were and are not meant for a family to live off of...
My point is this is all relevant to the manufacturing aspect of parts and everything else... Ok... I put my soapbox back up... Dan

What he said!!!!
:flag: :m5: :flagw:

72bowtiestepper 12-21-2013 10:51 AM

It's all about money....& time. I would love to put all NOS and GM rust free parts on my restoration....my budget will not allow it to happen. If I can make the aftermarket parts work...I will use them. As others on here have said, time spent working on our trucks is part of the fun owning these 40+ year old vehicles. Here on the east coast, most of the remaining 67-72 Chevys & GMC trucks have severe body rot & take major work to make them roadworthy.