The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cab modification question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=766520)

jkohnz 06-28-2018 10:16 PM

Cab modification question

I have what will probably be a stupid question, but since I couldn't find the answers via google, here I am. I don't know a lot about these trucks yet and am learning here. Please don't blast me too hard lol.

I am planning on using a late model frame for my 68 truck project. The question I have is, the channel under the cab is obviously not wide enough to sit down all the way on the frame I'm using. But, it looks like the back of the cab could possibly be trimmed to allow it to fit? Hoping to tuck the frame up in there a bit. I think the frame width at that point is around 34"? Probably wrong, but I couldn't read the pics (too blurry) I saw in another post here. Is trimming about 3.5" off each side doable?

jkohnz 07-01-2018 10:37 PM

Re: Cab modification question

Kind of shocked I didn't get any kind of response at all... I don't have a cab yet, so trying to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Grumpy old man 07-02-2018 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkohnz (Post 8292546)
Kind of shocked I didn't get any kind of response at all... I don't have a cab yet, so trying to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Probably need more information on what frame your using , But in reality it's just a big piece of metal and if you have the equipment /time and ability anythings possible , You could add 57 Caddy tail fins and Mercedes gull wing doors if that's what you want to do .:chevy:

panhead59 07-02-2018 07:18 AM

Yeah not to many people "channel" anymore. Not at home anyway. It just doesn't make sence to do all that work when getting, basically, the same results by available pre-fabbed lowering and suspention kits.

jkohnz 07-09-2018 07:07 PM

Using a 2002 Cadillac Escalade frame. Really trying to see the width of the OE frame at the back of the cab.

Grumpy old man 07-09-2018 11:01 PM

34" outside of frame rail to outside of frame rail , body mount at rear of cab center to center is 37 1/2"

the Escalade wheel base at 116 is pretty good length wise

the easiest way to go about this is to sit the 68 body on the frame and cut away anything that doesn't look like a 68 truck .:lol:

stsalvage 07-10-2018 01:33 AM

Problem about using a newer frame.There made to Fold with the sliest bump or Fender bender.All that work in building it and some one barley hits you at 15 MPH.The frame is JUNK.I have a real problem about taking a stiff frame and taking it out for a crinkle frame that is made to bed to Protect you.Funny thing is Taking a stiff well built body and putting it on a lack luster frame.Careful you don't bend the frame from the heavy metal you place on it you Might want to close up the frame to make it more ridge to handle the heavy weight

jkohnz 07-10-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stsalvage (Post 8297671)
Might want to close up the frame to make it more ridge to handle the heavy weight

Not sure what you mean by closing it up. Frames on these model SUVs are fully boxed, not c channels. I'm probably missing your point.