The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   original air cleaner, steering column & Bendix brake booster sheen? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=815031)

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 11-29-2020 03:13 PM

original air cleaner, steering column & Bendix brake booster sheen?

2 Attachment(s)
Working on a 71 C10. I read Tim mentioned non-tilt columns should be gloss, my 71 would agree. Interesting non-tilt Vs tilt aren't the same sheen. My Super (Tilt) might agree as well, hard to tell. So maybe I'm really asking about the air cleaner & Bendix booster;)

I think air cleaners were gloss? just seeking to confirm. As for the Bendix, I would have guessed semi-gloss but man this looks gloss to me. It's an NOS, though I believe it's more an old GM replacement part.

'68OrangeSunshine 11-29-2020 03:38 PM

Re: original air cleaner, steering column & Bendix brake booster sheen?

67-68 Non-Tilt Columns are interior color. Fawn in both cases on my '67 K/10 Suburban and '68 C/10 Stepside. Glossy black was a Tilt-only thing.
My '71 GMC Jimmy K/1500 was originally Copper exterior and Black trim inside, so its column [Non-Tilt, floor shift] is Black. But GMC did their own thing with interior schemes, just to contrast from Chevy.

On a lot of parts and structures, GM used a Satin Black [semi-gloss]. Air cleaners, battery trays, starters, P/S Pumps, fans, fender skirts, frames, etc.
Ford used a shiny full Gloss Black.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 11-29-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8842430)
67-68 Non-Tilt Columns are interior color. Fawn in both cases on my '67 K/10 Suburban and '68 C/10 Stepside. Glossy black was a Tilt-only thing.
My '71 GMC Jimmy K/1500 was originally Copper exterior and Black trim inside, so its column [Non-Tilt, floor shift] is Black. But GMC did their own thing with interior schemes, just to contrast from Chevy.

On a lot of parts and structures, GM used a Satin Black [semi-gloss]. Air cleaners, battery trays, starters, P/S Pumps, fans, fender skirts, frames, etc.
Ford used a shiny full Gloss Black.

I'm pretty much satin all the way around, but the column will be gloss like it was. You threw me on satin/semi gloss, I think that's your way of saying somewhere in the ball park. Perhaps the air cleaners appear to have more sheen because of the gauge & smooth steel?

'68OrangeSunshine 11-29-2020 06:30 PM

Hard to judge actual finish remotely on a computer screen.
Flat, Matte, Satin, Semi-, and Full Glossy are terms Art Majors could argue over for hours.
If there's a sheen difference between Satin and Semi-gloss, I never noticed. I never went to Art School.
I don't have a tilt column. The column in my Jimmy [w/ 4-speed] has 49 years of scratchy, 4WD wear on it's original finish, so it's no example.
An engine that's been pampered and well polished, or hand rubbed a lot by a proud owner may have a shinier look than the original Factory look.
But I'm no expert.

Davidf 11-30-2020 12:25 PM

Satin and Semi-gloss are essentially the same when discussing automotive black paint sheen.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 11-30-2020 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
re-reading your post 68OrangeSunshine, I see you wrote tilt columns are gloss. It was my understanding it's the other way around. I took this image of a non-tilt sitting on top a tilt column. That said, the title column has seen much better days. IMO the parts off the non-tilt wheel are gloss.

I'm no expert on automotive sheen for sure. I only know enough it's a bit vague, and those who know what they're doing can mix whatever sheen they like. For home paints and spray bombs:lol: semi-gloss would generally have more sheen than satin. There's eggshell too:metal: blah blah blah.

'68OrangeSunshine 11-30-2020 02:00 PM

Really, I have had no contact with tilt columns. If I said they were 'glossy' it was from a cue I read above. Tilt columns could be USAAF WWII surplus with OD interior and zinc chromate engine bay color, for all I know.
Apology for any confusion my ignorance of the subject caused.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 11-30-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8842798)
Really, I have had no contact with tilt columns. If I said they were 'glossy' it was from a cue I read above. Tilt colums could be USAAF WWII surplus with OD interior and zinc chromate engine bay color, for all I know.
Apology for any confusion my ignorance of the subject caused.

:lol:

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-01-2020 08:07 AM

Came across a few sites. Oldsmobile folks seem to believe the air cleaners are 60% gloss. Not sure what that means in layman's terms, but the air cleaners definitely leaned gloss. Check out these Camaro's, beautiful.

https://nastyz28.com/threads/correct....124979/page-2

'68OrangeSunshine 12-01-2020 01:59 PM

My air cleaner's chrome and says MOROSO on it. And that's on the L6.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-01-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8843228)
My air cleaner's chrome and says MOROSO on it. And that's on the L6.

I have the same one on my C20 402, we probably have the same valve covers too, chrome don't get you home, but I do like original:smoke:

OT, reading these Oldsmobile Camaro guys, they're fanatics. Undercarriage is this percent gloss, under the hood this other. Never dawned on me until now the under-hood had less sheen than the undercarriage. Perhaps less black too, I don't care:lol:

'68OrangeSunshine 12-02-2020 04:03 AM

I have the distinction of having bought a slightly-used pickup truck when I was 23 -- and keeping it. Now I'm 70. To me it's still a daily driver work truck, and I think all these resto nuts-perfect nazis are kooks.

I get a kick out of some jokers who think I'm driving their next barn find. I treat any offers to buy as homo propositions. Told one guy at a gas pump [who said he had the perfect LS motor for it just waiting] that I wasn't gay. Stopped him in his tracks.
I mean, if you don't see a For Sale sign, mind your own business.

I modified it when and where I had to, kept it as much stock as possible.
I added some hi performance goodies to my 292*, when I absolutely had to be up to highway speeds in short order -- or get T-boned by just-off-night-shift copper miners, on their third beer by the time they got to my stretch. This was to get to morning classes at the University, downtown. Now there's a stoplight, but back then it was speed or die.

Dind't know Olds made a Camaro? 442 I remember. Pontiac had the F-Bird...

The Moroso air cleaner came on the V8 in my '71 GMC when I bought it. It was a 12'' diameter. I had been running a 14'' generic chrome [''sombrero''] air cleaner on my 292 L6. I traded them around. The 14'' for the 350 and the 12'' for the 292. Not that big on chrome parts myself, unless that's the only option available.
[* bored .030-over, w/ Clifford headers, Offy intake, four barrel carb]

Still in the original paint. Just rolled over 400,000. I try to keep it up. New shocks, rear brakes, new Batt, Alt and EVR this summer. Next item is front brakes, and eliminate the EVR and 10SI alternator for a 12 SI. You just can't get reliable EVRs any more. Brand new [8/20] battery went flat because the [also new] EVR is still causing a short.

Valve covers -- on the 350 in the '71 Jimmy, I repainted them Chevy Engine Orange, just to lose some of the Mr Goodwrench generic look on the new [in 1999] crate motor. Thought about going to a cast aluminum finned Clifford valve cover on my 292 -- so I painted a stock one Cast Iron Grey and tried it on. I think the Chevy Orange looks better, but I'm too busy to play musical valve covers right now. The aluminum ones are way spendy. Necessary if running roller rockers, [like on a later build] but not just for bling.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-02-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68OrangeSunshine;8843580]I have the distinction of having bought a slightly-used pickup truck when I was 23 -- and keeping it. Now I'm 70. To me it's still a daily driver work truck, and I think all these resto nuts-perfect nazis are kooks.

I get a kick out of some jokers who think I'm driving their next barn find. I treat any offers to buy as homo propositions. Told one guy at a gas pump [who said he had the perfect LS motor for it just waiting] that I wasn't gay. Stopped him in his tracks.
I mean, if you don't see a For Sale sign, mind your own business.

I modified it when and where I had to, kept it as much stock as possible.
I added some hi performance goodies to my 292*, when I absolutely had to be up to highway speeds in short order -- or get T-boned by just-off-night-shift copper miners, on their third beer by the time they got to my stretch. This was to get to morning classes at the University, downtown. Now there's a stoplight, but back then it was speed or die.

Dind't know Olds made a Camaro? 442 I remember. Pontiac had the F-Bird...

The Moroso air cleaner came on the V8 in my '71 GMC when I bought it. It was a 12'' diameter. I had been running a 14'' generic chrome [''sombrero'
air cleaner on my 292 L6. I traded them around. The 14'' for the 350 and the 12'' for the 292. Not that big on chrome parts myself, unless that's the only option available.
[* bored .030-over, w/ Clifford headers, Offy intake, four barrel carb]

Still in the original paint. Just rolled over 400,000. I try to keep it up. New shocks, rear brakes, new Batt, Alt and EVR this summer. Next item is front brakes, and eliminate the EVR and 10SI alternator for a 12 SI. You just can't get reliable EVRs any more. Brand new [8/20] battery went flat because the [also new] EVR is still causing a short.

Valve covers -- on the 350 in the '71 Jimmy, I repainted them Chevy Engine Orange, just to lose some of the Mr Goodwrench generic look on the new [in 1999] crate motor. Thought about going to a cast aluminum finned Clifford valve cover on my 292 -- so I painted a stock one Cast Iron Grey and tried it on. I think the Chevy Orange looks better, but I'm too busy to play musical valve covers right now. The aluminum ones are way spendy. Necessary if running roller rockers, [like on a later build] but not just for bling.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nah, I meant Olds and Camaro guys, two different websites. OT, I prefer Pontiac over Chevy, but those Camaros are top notch, and Pontiac's trucks leave much to be desired.

400K, amazing. I have 140K on my C10 and I don't care what's on the C20, though it's probably 228ish. Prior owner(s) did some work on it, paint and block. Not the cleanest work at all, but I like the truck because it's self ventilated.

Strange some of the quote is bold but none is "[/B]". Web-voodoo.

'68OrangeSunshine 12-02-2020 05:09 PM

People used to think of GMCs as Pontiac trucks. Poncho motors in some. There might have been a Pontiac-branded pickup somewhere historically, but the market did not beat a path to their door. Thought I remembered something about that. Might've been a show car, with a Goat nose grafted onto a 67 slant-nose doghouse.
Since the Late '60s GMCs have just been 4-eyed Chevys. Built on the same production lines, with every 6th unit getting the GMC badge. That may also be an urban myth, but GMC parts always fit a Chevy truck.
I have one of each, so I'm constantly comparing them.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-02-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8843872)
People used to think of GMCs as Pontiac trucks. Poncho motors in some. There might have been a Pontiac-branded pickup somewhere historically, but the market did not beat a path to their door. Thought I remembered something about that. Might've been a show car, with a Goat nose grafted onto a 67 slant-nose doghouse.
Since the Late '60s GMCs have just been 4-eyed Chevys. Built on the same production lines, with every 6th unit getting the GMC badge. That may also be an urban myth, but GMC parts always fit a Chevy truck.
I have one of each, so I'm constantly comparing them.

Right, I have a GMC actually, less the grill and that, the original owner's idea for a SWB Chevy included leaf springs, kind of a nightmare really;)

Wouldn't shock me there's a vintage Pontiac concept truck or two out there. Speak of Pontiac trucks:lol: I forgot these existed, I seem to recall seeing them before. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...ns-sport-truck

'68OrangeSunshine 12-03-2020 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8844015)
Right, I have a GMC actually, less the grill and that, the original owner's idea for a SWB Chevy included leaf springs, kind of a nightmare really;)

Wouldn't shock me there's a vintage Pontiac concept truck or two out there. Speak of Pontiac trucks:lol: I forgot these existed, I seem to recall seeing them before. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/201...ns-sport-truck

Yeah, I vaguely recall that. The nickname was ,,El Cabron'' [Spanish for Goat].
The MY 1967 provenance falls apart with a 350. They could have at least done their homework and found a 327, but I guess they're getting rarer by the minute. Or did Pontiac have their own declension of displacement numbers, independent of the Chevrolet Division?
Nice truck, and a must if you're a Poncho addict, I guess.

special-K 12-03-2020 06:50 AM

People use the terms gloss, semi-gloss, satin and mean different things sometimes. There is also low-gloss. It might be about the same as semi-gloss but Dupli-Color sells both in engine paint and I find the low gloss to be right in my eyes. It is smooth like a gloss but not so shiny, no reflection. Most non-reflective blacks have a less smooth finish like Satin