The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fought the urge but it was too good of a deal!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=402627)

72freak 05-14-2010 09:07 AM

Fought the urge but it was too good of a deal!!

3 Attachment(s)
Came home from the Canton car show the other week and this had just been listed on Craigs List.....3 minutes after it was listed I called. I asked a few questions of the 16 year old that was on the phone.....

Does it run?.........."no"
What engine?......."I don't know"
V8 or 6 cyl?.......... "I don't know"
Can you go pop the hood for me......."yes"
Ok?!?!? How many spark plugs?.........."what's a spark plug?"
1 valve cover or 2?.........................."what's a valve cover?"
Is the distributor in the back or on the pass. side?......."What's a distributor?"

At this point I was about done and I said....go open the doors and look down and tell me if you see any rust...He said NO...NOTHING...I said "Im on my way". It was 8:30 pm, I loaded the car trailer and headed back up to Woodstock. By the time I got there he said..:" We must have listed it too cheap because the phone hasnt stopped ringing and he finally had to turn the phone off. After I had hooked to it I replied....Yes...it was listed a little under value.

This truck was a 1 family owned since new, with title, 1970 C-10, V-8, 3 speed man. It was parked in 1994 under a tree when it stopped running.(For what reason we still dont know). Later model 305. The father of the 16 year old got it from his grandfather in 1973 . We spent about a day cleaning up crusty push rods and loosening up stuck lifters, added a master cyl., a gas tank from inventory, tires from stock and we have a running driving, good compression, stopping truck! The fender and inner fender under the battery is rusted out as usual but that's about it. Rockers, cab corners, kick, cowl and bed are all in good shape with only minor to light surface rust. I transferred the tags and insurance from one of the others vehicles so I can drive it around a while and see how the engine does. At this moment we plan to use the engine in our C-30 dump project and use the cab and front clip on our 1970 short bed project that will be coming next winter. That should just about exhaust all the inventory parts I have left.

No matter how bad you want out..they seem to keep showing up! I guess the only way to avoid it is to sell the trailer and turn off the computer!

sdailey 05-14-2010 09:29 AM

Re: Fought the urge but it was too good of a deal!!

You lucky dog. Cool score!:metal:

ehuth1 05-14-2010 09:37 AM

Very nice!!!

1LoC10 05-14-2010 09:46 AM

Looks like a winner to me

dan42 05-14-2010 09:47 AM

Sounds like you're going to part it out - too bad, but at least the parts are finding a good home.

Hart_Rod 05-14-2010 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I know what you mean. They seem to keep following me home too....:D.

big_al_71 05-14-2010 11:28 AM

That converstion was so funny :lol::lol:

8mpg 05-14-2010 11:40 AM

That is a perfect patina truck.

flashed 05-14-2010 12:21 PM

I wish some of those would follow me home. I have stopped at 3 or 4 places where these trucks are sitting and have been sitting for years but they are never for sale. They would rather let them rust away to nothing than sell to someone that would use them.

Duncan and son 05-14-2010 12:25 PM

I am curious what they had it listed for, so is everyone else so I thought I would ask. very neat old truck.
Paul

72freak 05-14-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan and son (Post 3976263)
i am curious what they had it listed for, so is everyone else so i thought i would ask. Very neat old truck.
Paul

$400

72freak 05-14-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan42 (Post 3975919)
Sounds like you're going to part it out - too bad, but at least the parts are finding a good home.

In a way...yes....however....if someone supplies me with a good running V-8, and a complete, titled, fairly rust free cab, doors and front clip.....I will gladly trade!

Duncan and son 05-14-2010 01:51 PM

Very good buy. Some folks develope a very high "awareness" level and even when they are not actively looking they can spot a tail light of one of our trucks at 200 yards behind a barn grown up in weeds. Then you have to check out every one of them to find the 1 in 25 that you actually want and it is for sale. In other words "the more you hunt the luckier you get". Ha
You did good Paul and Jason

JohnC 05-14-2010 01:53 PM

Nice score man!

Leviticus 05-14-2010 02:00 PM

Great score man! And Hart, what did you drag home? That looks like a fun one!

71meangreenc10 05-14-2010 02:07 PM

If I was only retired.......

My back yard would be full of trucks.....Renting sucks and so does all these PCS moves....

Smitty

jasons 05-14-2010 02:30 PM

Kids these days, my 5 year old could have answered most of those questions.
Thats a great find and it sounds like it will be put to good use.

mclairmo 05-14-2010 02:35 PM

Good score. Wish I had the room to store more trucks. Lots of great deals out there now.

foosed 05-14-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasons (Post 3976489)
Kids these days, my 5 year old could have answered most of those questions.
Thats a great find and it sounds like it will be put to good use.

Not completely true, I'm 16 and when I read that conversation I was just thinking "are you kidding me!?"

jasons 05-14-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foosed (Post 3976546)
Not completely true, I'm 16 and when I read that conversation I was just thinking "are you kidding me!?"

I meant to exclude the younger members here, If you are into these trucks you must be ahead of the curve.

Ackattack 05-14-2010 04:52 PM

I have found a few deals, but didn't have a trailer. Now I have a trailer :D

Pickupmanx2 05-14-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ackattack (Post 3976700)
I have found a few deals, but didn't have a trailer. Now I have a trailer :D

Trailers are very, very bad indeed!!!

Nice score!!!

msgross 05-14-2010 07:36 PM

nice score! atleast he didn't ask for more money. Title and VIN is worth 1/4 of your price...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 (Post 3976448)
If I was only retired.......

My back yard would be full of trucks.....Renting sucks and so does all these PCS moves....

Smitty

go AGR (active Guard Reserve) like I did... best kept secret,

jrb71c20 05-14-2010 07:44 PM

I'd love to have some of those follow me home too. It seems everytime I spot one, the wife is with and I'm reminded that I'll be grounded if I do. But, it'll be worth it when I do.

gonzo6869 05-14-2010 08:48 PM

I'll give you $800.00 for it, thats double your money, I think its a good deal for both. JK, but if you do want to double your money you know where to go. Nice truck, diddin the patina on it.