The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trailer hitch receiver for '72 with step bumper (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=716132)

jimbosprint 08-26-2016 09:46 PM

Trailer hitch receiver for '72 with step bumper

3 Attachment(s)
I hope this helps save someone else the trouble I had getting a trailer hitch to fit my '72 C20 with a step bumper. I bought online and got every important measurement right except one, so I had to return it and order a different one. Don't just trust the website that says it fits!

These are the important measurements to consider when getting a trailer hitch for a truck with a step bumper. You will probably have to call the manufacturer to get these, as they are usually not available with the online specs.

Attachment 1564644

A - Make sure that the hitch will fit between the bumper brackets
B - Make sure that the bolt holes will line up on the center of the truck frame
C - Make sure the hitch drops far enough to fit beneath the bumper
D - Make sure the hitch sticks far enough out beyond the bumper

Other tips:
- Look closely at the online pictures of the receiver you are considering to make sure the design works with your bumper.
- Consider the realistic towing capacity of these old trucks. Class IV is probably good enough.
- Shop around. I found a wide variety of prices online for the same part number. Amazon and eTrailer are good places to start.

Attachment 1564648

Attachment 1564649

dutchmanz 01-16-2017 02:36 PM

Re: Trailer hitch receiver for '72 with step bumper

That is a nice fitting hitch. What part number did you end up with? Was it listed for your application? I've considered hitting the salvage yard with measurements in hand to see what might come close. My C30 needs a hitch. The 71 and Blazer already had them.

jimbosprint 01-16-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchmanz (Post 7828345)
That is a nice fitting hitch. What part number did you end up with? Was it listed for your application? I've considered hitting the salvage yard with measurements in hand to see what might come close. My C30 needs a hitch. The 71 and Blazer already had them.

It's a Draw-Tite 41001. It is listed to work for my truck with a stock bumper, but not for a step bumper. Probably because some step bumpers drop down more. I didn't want one that hangs down 3-4 inches below the bumper, so it was definitely worth a phone call.

71BUCKET 01-17-2017 08:09 AM

Nice hitch! I've been looking around and trying to figure mine out with having Boyd rear tank.

dfwright 01-17-2017 09:34 AM

That's a really nice hitch. Any idea if it would interfere with the under bed spare? Do you happen to have the pertinent dimensions you indicated from this hitch? I have a very similar step bumper.

jimbosprint 01-17-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfwright (Post 7829211)
That's a really nice hitch. Any idea if it would interfere with the under bed spare? Do you happen to have the pertinent dimensions you indicated from this hitch? I have a very similar step bumper.

Online it says it may require modification to the spare tire carrier. I am curious also, because I would like to add a spare to my truck.

I couldn't remember the dimensions, but it was easy to measure. It drops 5.5" and sticks out about 10.5" past the end of the frame.

nevada 05-01-2017 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice hitch, I have the same rear bumper on my 72 C20. Amazon has that hitch for $119. going to order today. Thanks for the pics of your truck. I will be towing a 20' Trailmanor, that weighs 2800 lbs dry, i figure 3300 max loaded, shouldn't be a problem.

correction, amazon is weird sometimes,,came up initially at $119 but when clicked to cart, popped up at $143. I still think its a good value for my needs.

Martyt 04-15-2019 11:55 PM

Somewhat old thread but I have the same step bumper on my 72' K10 Cheyenne. Mine is from the original owner and when she picked picked up her truck it had a chrome bumper. She had the dealer take off the chrome bumper and put the same step bumper as shown above in the pictures. Truck is from the Freemont plant and sold to her by Marx Chevrolet in Gilroy, CA. It does not look like other dealer installed step bumpers from but it is the same as the ones pictured above and it was installed in 72' by the dealer.

71blksuper4x4 04-16-2019 07:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I went with a class V hitch from B&W on mine. It fits under my 72’ v43 step bumper perfect.

72Cheyenne454 05-24-2020 11:07 PM

Jimbosprint,

Thanks for posting this detail.

Question - did you ever get around to installing a spare tire with the original mounting hardware? Curious if the OE spare tire mount will clear this hitch.

Thanks!

jimbosprint 05-25-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72Cheyenne454 (Post 8745695)
Jimbosprint,

Thanks for posting this detail.

Question - did you ever get around to installing a spare tire with the original mounting hardware? Curious if the OE spare tire mount will clear this hitch.

Thanks!

Sorry, I never added a spare tire carrier.