The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wood in a 72 Cheyenne Super (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=367057)

100gold 10-13-2009 01:32 PM

Wood in a 72 Cheyenne Super

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the faux wood in these trucks?

I see that there are pepro dash bezels,glove box decals and door inserts available.

How well do they match up?

And are nos available anywhere?

Zoomin 10-13-2009 01:41 PM

Re: Wood in a 72 Cheyenne Super

All I have found so far is "decals" for the dash, and plastic panels for the doors. I just ordered this stuff from LMC. I'll let you know when I get this stuff how it is.

100gold 10-13-2009 02:57 PM

Thanks Zoomin!
I'd sure appreciate it if you could let me know.

You said the door wood is plastic? Oh crap! That doesn't sound good. Would you check on how your chrome trim fits on the plastic when you get it also please?

I'm wondering if a guy wouldn,t be ahead to find a supplier for a sheet of wood decal and do a resurface on it all. At least that way he'd know that it all matched.

Thanks again!

71blksuper4x4 10-13-2009 03:10 PM

The wood repro decals on the instrument bezel is junk. It doesn't fit the holes very well at all and if it gets hot, it decides to shrink. The LMC door panels fit good, but like said, they are plastic and don't have the chrome bead on the panel, if you know what I am talking about. NOS door panel woodgrain will run you upwards of $500. The mold was lost on one of the sides so you can't get a driver's side aluminum one. You can try to locate some 3M Di-noc woodgrain which the factory used and redo your old, that is what I plan on doing. Otherwise, like I said, you might be happy with the aftermarket woodgrain interior pieces, but I don't think they are half as good as original GM pieces. Trevor

71blksuper4x4 10-13-2009 03:14 PM

I had repro woodgrain for my dash before, but am going to do it right this time around. Here is a pic: I had to contact cement all the pieces to keep it from shrinking.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/r...4/Interior.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/r...4/TachDash.jpg

100gold 10-13-2009 03:23 PM

Thanks Trevor,
Nice truck you've got there!

My door panels are different from yours I see.

You mentioned a 3 m product. Is that available?

I've been worrying that this after market stuff would be junk. My aluminum door inserts and chrome trim are perfect other than the woodgrain.

My dash and glovebox are good it's just the chrome bezel that needs replaced on both.

I'll look around for the 3 m product. Thanks

100gold 10-13-2009 03:27 PM

Well that was easy.......now, which one is it?http://catalog.dinocfilm.com/

71blksuper4x4 10-13-2009 03:51 PM

100Gold, my truck is a 71' super, so the door panels are different, but I know exactly what you are talking about as I used to own a 72' super. The instrument bezel is different for a Cheyenne Super as well. The black texture is different than you find on repro instrument panels, as it is more flatter with less texture so that the woodgrain sticks, so if yours is in good shape, you can get it rechromed, it will be more, but it will be accurate. The chrome on the glovebox door is a aluminum trim piece and the woodgrain is applied over the top of it. They don't reproduce this piece anymore and NOS brings a good coin. I just sent off for samples from a website earlier today actually. I just looked at my original woodgrain and took a stab at a few different ones and requested a sample of each. I am going to be building a 72' Cheyenne Super 1 ton 4x4 Crew Cab in the next year or 2 so I am collecting all the needed woodgrain pieces and doing it right as well as collecting what I need for my truck in the process.

71blksuper4x4 10-13-2009 03:53 PM

If I was a betting man, this is the one I will probably go with.
WG-254

100gold 10-13-2009 05:22 PM

Yep, they allowed me 5 free samples and that 254 is one that I ordered.

I noticed that on the lmc site you can order a 72 specific dash with woodgrain. It looks like the woodgrain is the decal that you add later.

Can you tell me more as to how to get the dash rechromed?

71blksuper4x4 10-13-2009 07:12 PM

do a search on google for vacuum platers. There should be several around the U.S. but I haven't personally had it done. I can get back with you on this, as I am a member of Team Chevelle, and a lot of guys have had their dash rechromed over there and know what ones to go to, and what ones don't do the best of work. Trevor

powell72 10-13-2009 07:48 PM

Last time I talked to Jerry Brown at The Truck Shop (Dec. '07) he was selling original '72 woodgrain door panel inserts that he was having someone recondition to factory appearance. They looked great, I don't know what the price was, or if he is still doing this but here's the link to his shop.

www.thetruckshop.com

mbgmike 10-13-2009 08:04 PM

WE had checked into getting them replated but it cost too much It was around $80.00 and The repro's are all an ill fitting sticker. We are working on a better quality one that fits right

71 super 10-13-2009 08:13 PM

Jerry is I believe geting his done by Gary Terry in Abilene Tx. I bought my new stuff from gary two years ago in Charlotte when he brought my doors up. I gave him my old panel inserts and glove box and bought a new bezel from him. All of the grain matches and looks as original. I have a NOS bezel in my 71 (it is a later bezel) that has the painted trim edge and the woodgrain is a different shade than the NOS glove box door plaque. The stuff that Gary has matches much better than the NOS and is well worth the money. You can contact him at CS-M.com

Zoomin 10-13-2009 09:02 PM

On my 72, the glove box door is trimmed in black (inside too), then a (what used to be) chrome trim, and then the wood grain. The dash is painted medium red, which I'm pretty sure is original.

Is the black correct? And the edge on the dash bezel chrome?

I notice in the picture he provided, 71BlkSuper4x4's glove door's edge matches the dash color. Is that a difference between 71 and 72? The SPID on my glove box is in perfect condition, fwiw.

powell72 10-13-2009 10:25 PM

Edited

powell72 10-13-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 3567557)
On my 72, the glove box door is trimmed in black (inside too), then a (what used to be) chrome trim, and then the wood grain. The dash is painted medium red, which I'm pretty sure is original.

Is the black correct? And the edge on the dash bezel chrome?

I notice in the picture he provided, 71BlkSuper4x4's glove door's edge matches the dash color. Is that a difference between 71 and 72? The SPID on my glove box is in perfect condition, fwiw.

The glovebox door should be the same color as the dash regardless if it's '71 or '72.

unclewatts 10-13-2009 11:13 PM

LMC Truck and Classic parts both sell woodgrain decals for the gauges, glovebox door and ashtray. They're junk! I have an aftermarket gauge panel. The miserable decal won't stay stuck because the pebble surface doesn't give it enough surface to stick. The glovebox door has a depression around the button and the decal just peels back off around it. The ashtray one is OK. I finally got mad and peeled them all off and threw them away. Sheesh!

71blksuper4x4 10-13-2009 11:57 PM

Chris, you are slightly wrong on the glovebox doors. There have been a lot of cases of either black glovebox doors with different color interiors. It seems to be what plant the truck was put together at. Many Cheyenne Supers came with black doors like that and also had black A/C outlets. I know others will help me out on that debate. If your door is black, I say leave it black if you want to keep it that way. Personally, I don't care for the black doors with different color interior.
So Zoomin, your glovebox door is correct, did your truck have a/c? Were the A/C outlet holders black? The instrument panel should be trimmed with Chrome from factory, now if you put an NOS instrument panel in, they have been known to have Silver trim and not Chrome.

71blksuper4x4 10-14-2009 12:00 AM

For the record, I have another glovebox door from a 72' Cheyenne Super and it was originally black and on the spid says the truck was Ochre, if you guys want pics of that, let me know to show you that I am not crazy.

Zoomin 10-14-2009 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 3567913)
Chris, you are slightly wrong on the glovebox doors. There have been a lot of cases of either black glovebox doors with different color interiors. It seems to be what plant the truck was put together at. Many Cheyenne Supers came with black doors like that and also had black A/C outlets. I know others will help me out on that debate. If your door is black, I say leave it black if you want to keep it that way. Personally, I don't care for the black doors with different color interior.
So Zoomin, your glovebox door is correct, did your truck have a/c? Were the A/C outlet holders black? The instrument panel should be trimmed with Chrome from factory, now if you put an NOS instrument panel in, they have been known to have Silver trim and not Chrome.

Yes, it has a/c., but the outlet holders are the same as the dash - red. Also, the dash pad is black, the carpet is black, it has white door panels, and the seats are white with black houndstooth.

71blksuper4x4 10-14-2009 12:28 AM

Zoomin' sounds like you have a Tilt columned truck with white interior. This means that you got the black dash pad and carpet to match the black of the column instead of the sandalwood dash pad and carpet you would get if it was a non-tilt truck. Interesting that it didn't have black a/c outlets. Either way, still sounds like your glovebox door was originally a black one. Trevor

100gold 10-14-2009 12:59 PM

One thing nice about the 3 m product is that it'll be easy to install on these trucks.

I found a company called american classic restoration that can rechrome the dash edge. I'll see what that costs and also call the fella in abilene.

I'd think that if he's restoring oem parts, he'd be willing to do some kind of core exchange.

I don't see how a guy would be able to get the exposed inner aluminum edge on the door panel to clean up right after applying the ni doc film.

Here's a question for you regarding the ni doc film.

Do you think that a fella should remove the old ni doc before applying the new?

71blksuper4x4 10-14-2009 03:34 PM

100Gold, to answer your question, yes I believe you should remove the original woodgrain, I am thinking a heat gun and a razor blade, with some WD40. Also, to replicate the aluminum/chrome bead, I believe you could use a sharp #11 bladed exacto and take your time and trim around it to acheive satisfactory results. Trevor

powell72 10-14-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 3567913)

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing on here a yellowish Cheyenne Super with the black glovebox and AC outlets, my mistake!