The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Sparky's 1978 Silverado Build "Addiction" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=756016)

Dads79GMC 01-30-2018 10:54 PM

Sparky's 1978 Silverado Build "Addiction"

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all. Yes, I have a problem, a C10 problem. My wife calls this truck "The Spawn!" Why, because over the last 11 years of tinkering with my Dads 1979 GMC (now in the hands of JaysonB for some body work and paint), I've collected an excessive amount of parts; a redundant stack of parts (frame, extra cab, fenders, doors, springs, rear ends, consoles, bucket seats, dash pads, clusters, front clip, bed sides, etc. etc. etc.) for which this truck has "spawned"! I deserve the jabbing! By the way, Sparky has been my nickname for 20 years.

Last August, I picked up a 1978 LWB Silverado. It had been purchased by the previous owner (PO) as a parts truck and was stripped down to virtually nothing. After paying $150, the PO delivered it to me on its rotors and rear drums, cab with no doors and nothing up front.

Course of Action:
1. LWB to SWB w/ Built by Brooks shortening kit
2. 350/350 CHANGE: LS/4L60e
3. FiTech FI CHANGE: FI LS
4. Buckets and Console (Buckskin Interior)
5. Static drop: 2.5" spindles and 2" springs and a flip kit with Built by Brooks C-Notch
6. [B]Wood bed floor (curious, see Dads79GMC build thread below)
7. Crimson Red with Frost White sides and roof (Yep, just like OJ)
8. Wheel Vintiques Series 62 with chevy caps
9. Fix the rust in the cab

Pictures:
1. Sitting at the PO's house before he took the doors and wheels/tires off
2. SPID
4. Original Owners Manual

Start time: 1730, 29 January 2018, I had to do that in order to give me a kick in the butt.

Thanks Mike

Dads79GMC 01-30-2018 11:07 PM

Re: Sparky's 1978 Silverado Build "Addiction"

2 Attachment(s)
Pics
1. Wood bed project which was going to go into Dads79GMC, but once again, I changed my mind
2. 73/74 front clip (JaysonB hunted this down for me)

Dads79GMC 01-30-2018 11:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yesterday, I started in on stripping down the cab and was able to start rust repair. This will be my second attempt at cab rust repair. Hopefully, this time I get it correct and JaysonB will not have to fix this one too.

Pictures from yesterday and today.

Dads79GMC 01-30-2018 11:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pictures. At some point, someone attempted repairs and as i started ripping into this, I found it barely welded together. Seemed to have more caulk holding it together. I was able to find where the cuts were made in the last repair.

Dads79GMC 01-30-2018 11:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Test fitting. Should be able to start welding tomorrow. You can see the previous repair. I don't see a weld anywhere there. :)

Jaysonb 01-30-2018 11:45 PM

Looks like your off to a great start! Looks like it was fixed up back in the day when these were just out dated old trucks, and someone wanted to get a few more years out of it! There lack of welds saved you a bunch of time tearing it apart.:metal: Now I have to hussle on your 79, or you will be passing me up.:lol:

Dads79GMC 01-30-2018 11:59 PM

There were no inner rockers or inner cab corners installed!

hatzie 01-31-2018 01:48 AM

Where did you source the steel side panels for the fleetside wood floor?

Dads79GMC 01-31-2018 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8174525)
Where did you source the steel side panels for the fleetside wood floor?

I made them

Please see post #111 on Dads 79 GMC Build thread below.

Thanks Mike

erichevy 01-31-2018 01:17 PM

I'll follow along... Your description of the final results sounds nice. I'm wanting to build something very similar out of a 1980 C20 i have sitting around.

aggie91 01-31-2018 05:50 PM

Gonna be following this build...

Dads79GMC 01-31-2018 11:30 PM

Thanks fella's! Got a little garage time today.

Dads79GMC 01-31-2018 11:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pictures:
1. Inner kick panel. Thought I'd put a little rust encapsulator in the pillar while it was open. Yes, I removed the bolts from the lower door hind. I just stuck them in there as to not fill the bolt holes with primer. :)
2. Shot of tacked in inner rocker and kick panel
3. Door gap at the top??
4-5. Bottom door gap??

This is kind of pain, yet fun. Needs a little more work. Gonna have a little work to do on the inner cab support; somebody really welded it in there. Will not fully weld in panels until I too the support work under the floor area. It's bad!

Also, you can see the slight bow in the outer panel.....oh well.

Thanks Mike

Dads79GMC 01-31-2018 11:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pictures:
1. Inner floor support is pretty roached and the floor bracing will need repair as well.
2. Old and new kick panels
3. slowly nibbling away at the cab corner. You can see that the previous corner was overlapped then filled will a cup of filler. I had to go pretty high on the corner and the A pillar in order to find good metal.

That's about it!!

Thanks Mike

Low Elco 02-01-2018 02:17 PM

Not for nuthin, a couple good size fellas and a couple chunks of 4x4 and judicious use of a BFH can fix that bow. Carefully.

Also, if you're startin' this far down, I'd go LS unless you have the parts on hand. Not hard at all, and Soooooo much better in the end. Dig your project!

Dads79GMC 02-02-2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8175594)
Not for nuthin, a couple good size fellas and a couple chunks of 4x4 and judicious use of a BFH can fix that bow. Carefully.

Also, if you're startin' this far down, I'd go LS unless you have the parts on hand. Not hard at all, and Soooooo much better in the end. Dig your project!

I hear ya! Have an LS in my Dad’s 79 GMC.

Dads79GMC 02-02-2018 11:53 PM

Also, decided to order L/R under cab braces. Not gonna screw with repairing the one in there now.

Mike

MrFinland 02-03-2018 01:08 PM

Wau Mike! I'm really amazed at how do you manage to make two cars same time ?! I really appreciate it!

Woodyboat 02-03-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8174973)
Gonna be following this build...

I'm following also. I've got the same probs with my rockers and floorpans so I need all the info I can get. The only difference is that my truck is a crew cab. But I don't have much in the way of rust past the B pillar. But from the A to B pillars, ....WOW its toast!

Not to wreck the thread but I wonder if someone can tell me the differences in actual physical size between the old SBC and the new LS engines - physical dimensions and weight?

Dads79GMC 02-03-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFinland (Post 8177156)
Wau Mike! I'm really amazed at how do you manage to make two cars same time ?! I really appreciate it!

It's really just one. JaysonB has Dad's in his shop doing the remainder of the body work and paint. I've got to get as far as I can on this before Dad's returns!!!!!!

Mike

Dads79GMC 02-06-2018 11:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today I picked up another set of outer rocker panels; ended up being identical to the ones I have, I'll just put those in the parts pile for truck #3 that JaysonB and I will be doing together down the road (more extra parts). Brown truck also came today with my floor braces.

Pictures:
1. Removal of floor brace
2. Had to tap the floor support before installing
3. Floor brace and floor support installed
4. Old and new floor brace side by side

Notes: I found the installation of the floor support was easier than expected. After drilling out the spot welds, I jacked up the left side of the cab and popped off the old floor support. I assembled the floor support and floor brace using the cab mounts hardware and bolted it down tight. The floor brace has a nut welded to it that attaches to the front seat bracket, this gave me two true mounting points for the floor brace. I then used a Dremel to clean the floor brace where the spot welds were located and then filled the old drilled out spot welds with new welds. I then took out the floor support, drilled some holes and welded it to the floor brace and inner rocker panel.

More to follow:

Dads79GMC 02-07-2018 12:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm still messaging the out rocker panel, it's getting close. I'll need to do some slicing and dicing, and will have to fill in pieces to get the look that is required. You can see in picture #2 that the front of the rocker panel (at the door/fender intersection, the gap in the rocker is terrible. it seems the tooling of these is getting worse!!!

Pictures:
1. Fender, door, rocker intersection (needs work)
2. Closer look at fender, door and rocker intersection
2. The mess. I need to clean the dump tomorrow!!!!!

That's it for today. Should get some quality time in the garage tomorrow. Would like to get the outer rocker and corner finally installed and the get a start on the right side. I'm hoping to get the front clip on this week in order to get a good feel for the fit of all the new panels. Need to also shorten the frame and throw on the bed as well. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Thanks Mike

Dads79GMC 02-07-2018 10:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thought I was gonna get more time in the garage today, but nope! Anyway, was able to put on cab corner and message the rocker panel. The left side still needs a lot attention, but for now it'll have to wait. Gonna start on the right side tomorrow. I will not permanently affix anything (beyond excessive tack welding) until I put on the front clip, shorten the frame and put the box on the frame. At that point, I'll adjust as necessary and then permanently weld everything in place. Then.....take it apart again etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.!!!

Pictures:
1-4. Left cab corner

Dads79GMC 02-08-2018 10:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Kind of thought I'd get more done today!!!! Spent most of my time cleaning the garage, then headed to the landfill, went to dinner with the Mrs., then put together my new Eastwood blast cabinet. I still need to unpack the vacuum for the blast cabinet. Oh, and turned the truck around. I hope to get started on the right side panel replacement tomorrow.

Mike

MrFinland 02-09-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dads79GMC (Post 8181879)
Kind of thought I'd get more done today!!!! Spent most of my time cleaning the garage, then headed to the landfill, went to dinner with the Mrs., then put together my new Eastwood blast cabinet. I still need to unpack the vacuum for the blast cabinet. Oh, and turned the truck around. I hope to get started on the right side panel replacement tomorrow.

Mike

Hi Mike! Did you buy a new blast cabinet? What are you going to use in that cabinet? sand, metal or something else? We use first our cabinet a sand but it was bad, then I changed the sand to metal so it became good. Now I see what I do. And it does not need so much to vacuum.