The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Wheel studs (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=796129)

mygmctruck1 11-04-2019 08:00 PM

Wheel studs

Like many on this site , I need longer wheel studs.

My K1500 has. 7/16 x 20 but I am not sure about the spline size .
I am guessing .560 but not sure.

I don’t want to drill out for larger studs but will if I have to .

BLAZERMAN 11-04-2019 11:23 PM

Re: Wheel studs

Quote:

Originally Posted by mygmctruck1 (Post 8621638)
Like many on this site , I need longer wheel studs.

My K1500 has. 7/16 x 20 but I am not sure about the spline size .
I am guessing .560 but not sure.

I don’t want to drill out for larger studs but will if I have to .

Are you wanting to go longer or bigger? I changed out 7/16" to 1/2" one time without any redrilling, wish I would have hung on to the part numbers. If just going longer you should be able to get them from about any good parts store. Take an old stud with you and hopefully theyll let you look thru their Dorman cacalog.

Jcfcamaro 11-12-2019 10:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I went through the same thing on my 72 k10 with after market rims and tires. I needed a longer stud to have more threads/stud sticking out of the rim but there's not much out there on the market. I did find a dorman stud that was the correct size but the shank ended up being a little longer than needed so the lug nut wouldn't tighten down and I really didn't think the quality of the stud was very good and didn't want to trust it with a 35x12.50-18 tires. I ended up putting my stock studs back in and buying new lug nuts with a longer neck that goes further in the rim and catches about 3/16 more threads.

mygmctruck1 11-12-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro (Post 8625714)
I went through the same thing on my 72 k10 with after market rims and tires. I needed a longer stud to have more threads/stud sticking out of the rim but there's not much out there on the market. I did find a dorman stud that was the correct size but the shank ended up being a little longer than needed so the lug nut wouldn't tighten down and I really didn't think the quality of the stud was very good and didn't want to trust it with a 35x12.50-18 tires. I ended up putting my stock studs back in and buying new lug nuts with a longer neck that goes further in the rim and catches about 3/16 more threads.

Yea my splines were longer to but my wheel is thick enough to eliminate that issue.

Blazerowner 11-21-2019 12:13 AM

Dorman made a 1/2 stud that would fit the Dana 44 at one time but it was discontinued. I’ve heard there are ones that fit but I don’t know the part number. 12 bolt is the easy swap. I would like to swap out to the 1/2” myself but wish I could find what fits. I would be willing to drill the hub if needed. If you go through the work to remove the hub I would try to get 1/2 studs since you’re in there. It’s a little work to reset the preload and everything when doing the job. It’s also good measure to just go ahead and replace the bearings and races if it’s original. They are cheap and not hard to do.

mygmctruck1 11-21-2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazerowner (Post 8630550)
Dorman made a 1/2 stud that would fit the Dana 44 at one time but it was discontinued. I’ve heard there are ones that fit but I don’t know the part number. 12 bolt is the easy swap. I would like to swap out to the 1/2” myself but wish I could find what fits. I would be willing to drill the hub if needed. If you go through the work to remove the hub I would try to get 1/2 studs since you’re in there. It’s a little work to reset the preload and everything when doing the job. It’s also good measure to just go ahead and replace the bearings and races if it’s original. They are cheap and not hard to do.

Like I said , I called Dorman direct and they helped me get what I needed. Same spline size , 1/2” stud but the spline in longer than the old ones but they’ll work because the wheels are 1/2” thick and that more than takes up the difference. Other wise I was stuck with using the old wheels and that was not acceptable .

Blazerowner 11-23-2019 01:07 AM

I may have to call and see what they say. I have aluminum wheels so a longer shank shouldn’t make a big difference.

mcmlxix 12-25-2019 08:02 AM

http://www.billavista.com%2FTech%2FP...520Catalog.pdf

CLICK HERE FOR EXCEL LIST