The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hi all I'am new, nice site (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=174552)

Simonstrucker 09-26-2005 06:15 PM

Hi all I'am new, nice site

Hi all I'am new to this site. I work for a cable tv show. Currently we are deciding on what year to build for for this unknow individual. I really can 't get into details at this time but will when we are about to start this project. mY BOSS would like to know what year and body style is the most desired. Also would drive train would you like to see put in. Also we would like to know if any one would be intredted in donating just the Cab for the project. Lmk

shifty 09-26-2005 06:19 PM

Welcome to the site from GA. I prefer the '68 body style myself, I like short wheel base trucks, fleet or step. I really don't like the '71-72 face at all, would rather have a '69-70 if I had a choice. Chevy just lost something with the grille of the last two years of this great series.

toms68cst 09-26-2005 06:20 PM

I second the 68 thing!

67-68's are gaining in popularity.

LUV2XCLR8 09-26-2005 06:21 PM

:welcome2: 2 the board from west 10-uh-c :hi2:

As for most desireable, 71/72 truck w/ a 67/68 nose :metal:

pjmoreland 09-26-2005 06:22 PM

Maybe a poll would be a good idea.

PanelDeland 09-26-2005 06:56 PM

67 small window.Stretch the cab about 3 inches(to give it leg room{will probablymake it look like it's slighttly chopped}). and build a custom flatbed with storage underneath.Use the aluminum surrounds from a 68 in the grille,a cowl hood,and don't tweak the body too much.15 inch rims!!!!!

Alan Potter 09-26-2005 08:01 PM

Welcome from Ohio! I think the '67s are the best and keep it all original!

4tiresngas 09-26-2005 08:05 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California. I have a 69 short wheel base stepside. I have converted it to power disc brakes in and power steering. When you ask what is most desirable, you can get a lot of different answers. There are those who like the trucks stock. Then there are those who like them to look stock but have some modern amenities (pb, ps, ac, etc). Then there are those who are rodders or customizers. Me, I haven't seen an old Chevy truck that I haven't liked. But, if I have to choose, I'd probably go with LUV2XCLR8 and say a 71-72 truck with a 67-68 front clip. I like step sides, but fleets work also. I'd just say go with a wood floor...that's a classic look.

farside847 09-26-2005 08:31 PM

71. Stepside. Mostly stock with a nice dark green paint. But then again Im kinda bias ;)

Joe67 09-26-2005 08:34 PM

Personally, I love the smooth look of the '67 :D

Buy my rusty '67 Panel truck and restore it on TV :cool:

AdamNeedsA67 09-26-2005 08:36 PM

Im all for the 68

jhwkns 09-26-2005 08:56 PM

Welcome to the forums..I'd use a 67/68. They're by far the best looking IMHO. I'd also use the early cab. Pre 69's are smog exempt almost everywhere. It sounds like you already have a chassis so a 71/72 cab wouldn't benefit you. For the drivetrain a 502BB/Richmond 5 speed combo would be fun. Keep us up to date on your project.

blazerparts 09-26-2005 09:15 PM

67-72............can't go wrong, keep it stock

ChevLoRay 09-26-2005 09:44 PM

It's good to see new members. Good to see, too, that someone is going to build another one. I keep hoping that one of my kids will submit my name to Overhaulin' or Pimp My Ride....or whatever. But, as parents we do all we can for our kids and if that means that our rides get pushed aside and left unfinished....well, it's what we do.

I have a '69. Saw one from Texas that had the cab stretched by 6-inches. I'm sure many have seen it....it's silver and looks really clean.

If these trucks have any shortcomings, it would be in the cab. So, depending on how much money someone has, or wants, to spend....I'd stretch it lengthwise. I'd also use a '67-68 front cap, because it is clean. Whether or not it is a small window '67, or the large window '68-72, is really a moot point. I prefer the side trim of the '67-68's, if it has to have side trim. For the '69-72's, I prefer just the lower side trim, in black. But, the CST trim for the tailgate would also look good in black, to match the lower side trim. Close up the side marker/reflector holes, as well as the stake pockets in the top of the bed. Integrate a third brake light, as well as the cargo light, into a stock cargo light housing. Use LED light assy's for the tail lights, but tunnel the taillights into the bedsides about an inch. Leave the shiny trim off of the tail lights, if you remove all the other side trim and tailgate trim. Spray the bed with Line-X, or another such product, if you intend to use it. Cover the bed with a Gaylord's smooth tonneau cover if you want to hide the bed, or whatever is in the bed.

For the chassis, you definitely want disc brakes on the front. I have the total package from Early Classic Enterprises....2.5-inch dropped spindles, stock height coils on the front. In the rear, 4-inch lowered springs, track bar, etc. I still tow a trailer, when I want to, or need to.

Driveline: Small block or big block, but with either a 700R4, or a TH350/400 with a Gear Vendors under/over drive. With the 700, you'd have 4 gears. With the other option, you got 6 gears. It's just money, right?

Wheels and tires?? I'm leaning towards some painted rally type 16's for my use. Small caps and trim rings, with some 6 or 7-inch wide on the front and an 8-inch wide rear wheel. But, here's where you can throw on some "bling" if you like, in addition to the chrome front and rear bumpers that I prefer. Rolled pans look good, too. But, I live in the real world and I prefer a bumper to protect my truck.

Interior: I like the '96-98 Chevy/GMC 40/20/40 seat with fold-down armrest. If it is in leather, then that would be a plus.....leather makes my butt happy. Sound deadening materials, applied everywhere possible, would be good. Carpet, new door panels, etc., would just ice the cake.

Then, paint it all black and flame it.....with the new-style that actually look like fire. Red paint on the wheels, and it's done.

matthufham 09-26-2005 10:09 PM

welcome from texas!

Simonstrucker 09-27-2005 12:03 AM

Thanks for the kind welcome. I was told that this was the board to start the info search. We have a big suprise for the engine I was told. It will not be anything any one would even expect. The rebuild will be a little custom. Our only problem so far is the need for a good cab. Were looking for something in the Cali area or close so it can be moved quick. It does not matter if it needs work like floor pans, rockers, or cab corners. We just need a good rust free roof as I have looked over the forums reading over the pages that that is not repoped. If any one can direct or has one will will need info with pic and location with in the next month and a half or so. Our time frame is to have it done befor the end of the season for the show. As time permits I will try to let you all in on more detail when I can with out letting the the cat out of the bag so to speak. Plus I want you all to be happly suprise with the end result. I can tell you all this you will see more work done to this than truck than you all did on truckstv!

pjmoreland 09-27-2005 12:30 AM

www.craigslist.com is a good place to find parts in Northern California. Here's a cab for sale:

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/pts/99793055.html

redhead69 09-27-2005 12:38 AM

I agree with luv2xclr8... 71/72 truck with a 67/68 nose. Maybe even a 67 bed to give it the shaved look.

HerLonghorn71 09-27-2005 01:14 AM

well I really like the 71 longhorn :lol: i know my hubby like a 68 but try for a longhorn it would suprise you how many people havent evn heard of them

67cst 09-27-2005 01:32 AM

67-68 chevys are the best looking i think, the 67 is nice with the small back window, but im sure that will be harder to find in the amount of time you have

RicksTrucks 09-27-2005 03:43 AM

Where in California do you need it to be? May know of someone that may have one near Santa Barbara.

tnblazerk5 09-27-2005 11:14 AM

hi and welcome to the board from upper east tn
and this is the best 67-72 truck board on the net so you came to the corect place to be askin questions about them and you will get all kinds of anwsers
my vote would be 67 truck theres just sumthing about the small back windows and the sloped hood and no side markers that make them one slick ride ,stock or custom ,chevy or gmc ,there still the best lookin in my book

John Fabris 09-27-2005 02:03 PM

2 wheel drive blazer....

Want something different or more desirable then a 67-68 short fleet truck, then take a look at a 71 factory 2 wheel drive blazer.

I have one for sale that is in nor-cal that would be a great start for a custom!!!! Has all sheetmetal. No Top, no glass, no engine/tranny/interior. Already has 68 chevy front end. Straight doors. Needs rockers replace, very little rot (rust thru)... Have Pink Slip as well. Has front disc brakes.

blazer for $1000

krue 09-27-2005 08:57 PM

Welcome to the board. Why not a GMC?:D

Simonstrucker 09-28-2005 06:10 PM

Thanks to all for the info keep it coming were still needing a little more before we decide on what we will be making.