The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   1965 LWB Stepside Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737785)

roll_the_dice 06-20-2019 07:15 PM

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

Thanks guys...I received my new shifter for the relocation today! So I will get that installed on the transmission this weekend. I hope to get the cab clear coated this weekend also (depending on weather).

roll_the_dice 06-24-2019 08:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the front and back glass out this weekend. Got all the crud cleaned up from the residue of sealant and dirt ...will get the cab clear coated this week then put the glass back in. Luckily no rust to speak of around the window!

roll_the_dice 07-30-2019 05:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've been on vacation and it was just too hot to work on it much lately, but I finally got the cab sanded and clear coated. I cut and polished the drivers door today. Not perfect, but that's OK with me...I enjoyed clearing it...first time ever clearing/painting a vehicle. Now to do the B pillar and work my way around the truck.

I should get the glass back in later this week or early next week also. Here are a few pictures but I can't get the shine and depth from my phone.

straight6chevyguy 07-31-2019 01:22 PM

Glad to see you back at it Andy!
I've been wondering where you have been.LOL

roll_the_dice 07-31-2019 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8568120)
Glad to see you back at it Andy!
I've been wondering where you have been.LOL

Thanks...I missed working on the truck and reading the board! I have a lot of catching up to do.

Took a picture of the truck tonight...getting the windshield and rear glass installed tomorrow. Can't wait!

roll_the_dice 08-01-2019 07:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had the front and rear glass installed today. I bought Precision gaskets and they worked great! The installer said that is what he uses if the customer asks him to buy them. Was stoked to get the glass in...now I don't have to cover it in a tarp every night in case it rains.

Original glass both front and rear..the front glass had original grease markings on it hidden by the gasket...unfortunately I forgot to take a pic...I might have one from when I took the glass out.

Also while the glass was being installed I looked up and saw the GoodYear blimp floating by...

350TacoZilla 08-01-2019 09:02 PM

Looking great man, very classic color combo too!

Captainfab 08-01-2019 11:33 PM

Good to hear that the gaskets worked out good. I didn't even know Goodyear still had a blimp.That is cool. I don't know the last time I have seen a blimp.

roll_the_dice 08-02-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla (Post 8568852)
Looking great man, very classic color combo too!

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8568921)
Good to hear that the gaskets worked out good. I didn't even know Goodyear still had a blimp.That is cool. I don't know the last time I have seen a blimp.

Thanks John! As luck would have it...it rained this morning so I checked and no leaks! WOOHOO!

I hadn't seen a blimp in years either...had forgotten all about them in fact. Was pretty cool actually.

straight6chevyguy 08-05-2019 03:59 PM

Looking good!

roll_the_dice 08-07-2019 08:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Started prepping the bed yesterday to clear coat...the paint was flaking bad on the rail, so I went through to the metal A LOT. Woke up this morning to surface rust...ugh. I sanded again and mixed some clear real quick and used my airbrush to clear the rail so it won't rust while I prep the rest of the bed. I just did one coat more of a seal than anything...but gave me an idea of what it is going to look like...I love it!

roll_the_dice 08-09-2019 01:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I feel like I am finally getting the hang of clear coating... Started doing the bed today...Hope to finish tomorrow.

roll_the_dice 08-09-2019 02:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just finished the 3rd coat... A few more pictures...

roll_the_dice 08-10-2019 02:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished the bed today except for the tailgate.

roll_the_dice 08-12-2019 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the things I never liked about my truck was the PO sprayed in a cheap DIY black textured bed coating. He didn't do enough and it just looked bad IMO. I have been toying around with taking paint stripper and seeing what I can do. I took the tailgate off Saturday and today I put some generic stripper on the TG. I only waited 5 minutes and scraped what you see off. It took off enough to encourage me to do more...so after lunch today, I am going to see what I can take off. I hope I can get enough off to make it look weathered. If it works well enough I am going to tackle the bed sides and any area that has the spray in liner. Wish me luck.

roll_the_dice 08-13-2019 04:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Cut and buffed the passenger side of the bed today...sanded from 600 grit to 1500 then buffed with 3M perfect-it 1&2..will use 3 at a later date when the clear has cured more than a few days. Hard to tell in the pictures, but there was a decent amount of orange peel...got all that out and sanded smooth. Lots of work ...but looks great IMO.

roll_the_dice 08-19-2019 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was playing around today with some wood for the bed. I burnished it and put polyurethane on it...I think I like it, but not sure...may want to go darker.

straight6chevyguy 08-20-2019 12:15 PM

It looks pretty good Andy!

roll_the_dice 08-20-2019 12:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks...I am not sold on doing this, but it is fun to play with right now.

I took a second piece of scrap wood and burned it a little darker...sat them side by side in the truck...I think I like the lighter (left one) better.

They both have a spray on lacquer finish...I will do a brush on varnish/lacquer, sand and buff when I get to that, but the spray on was easier and I had it on my shelf. :)

straight6chevyguy 08-20-2019 12:28 PM

I think I like the lighter one better too.

roll_the_dice 08-28-2019 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK so my buddy is cutting the wood for my bed...should have it in a month or so...we picked out the wood...walnut. Here is a picture of a rough cut piece he cut as an example. If it all looks like this, I will probably just use a clear poly on it to protect and let the natural color show through.

roll_the_dice 08-29-2019 01:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Small things sometimes are the most gratifying...got my mirrors installed today.

LostMy65 08-29-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8583721)
OK so my buddy is cutting the wood for my bed...should have it in a month or so...we picked out the wood...walnut. Here is a picture of a rough cut piece he cut as an example. If it all looks like this, I will probably just use a clear poly on it to protect and let the natural color show through.

Wow! That should look spectacular!

roll_the_dice 08-31-2019 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK got the engine in this morning...before the hurricane hits next week?? Started raining in the middle before we started...we waited it out and it finished raining for a bit. We got the engine in and as soon as we were tightening the last bolt rain again...put a tarp over the engine and will finish the trans crossmember this week between rain. :)

Will post more pictures later, my wife took a ton...my friend Carl, my son, and I put the engine in...finally and engine!!!

The Rocknrod 08-31-2019 02:21 PM

Blimp - reminds me of when I was in Lakehurst NJ inside the Hindenburg blimp hangar. They had the Met Life blimp in there tied down, as I was walking across the hangar I jumped up and grabbed one of the ropes holding it down. Well the thing wasn't as stable as I thought and bounced around. Unknown to me there were people on the other side painting it, I ran off Fast with them screaming and cursing. Thank goodness everyone else was wearing the same uniform. :)