The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   thinking about getting this in the morning (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=722712)

schpeen 11-28-2016 11:21 AM

Re: thinking about getting this in the morning

1 Attachment(s)
removed the windows and all the rubbers then sanded the top and painted it satin white. not as grey as it looks in the picture I also installed new felt to the rear of the cap now to take the side windows apart and see why they were caulked shut! LOL

68Timber 11-28-2016 11:35 AM

Someone here was looking for the felts/seals to rebuild the slider windows not too long ago, I don't think they ever found them. There's no kit I'm aware of anyway. Not to say it can't be done, but you'll probably have to source universal felts to find some that fit.

schpeen 11-28-2016 11:43 AM

thank you i will pull them apart and see what's going on with them i may also need a new tailgate and window the old one is pretty roached out

I ordered 75 sq feet of peel and stick sound/heat deadener to install before i put the new carpets in I'm guessing those nasty old carpets are holding all kinds of funk in them!

schpeen 11-29-2016 10:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
my mechanic is rebuilding the rear brakes and installing the new shocks, radiator and steering components so while it is away at the shop i have had a chance to work on the cap and sliders. The side windows were full of clear caulk so once i managed to clean it all out the windows are actually in good working order. the felt in the channels are nothing special. I believe any that will fit into a 3/4" x 3/4" channel will work. tough part may be finding them 8 feet long

schpeen 11-29-2016 10:41 AM

found some rust holes in the original muffler so i decided to change from the exhaust manifolds back and eliminate the catalytic convertor and go to a 3" single set up with a decent high flow muffler and keep the tail pipe in the same location coming out behind the rear tire to the side instead of duals coming out the back like you typically see I hate when you are hooking up a trailer and the exhaust is shooting straight in your face! LOL

schpeen 12-03-2016 03:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
picked up a set of seats this morning off craigslist out of a cooper mini 2 door the passenger seat kicks all the way forward to allow access to the rear seat and there is a vertical adjustment on the seats so i am not worried about getting the height correct as long as i don't go too high. I guess the easiest way to make mounts is to use the brackets from the old seats?

100 sq feet of sound deadener was almost enough to do everything came up a little sort on the rear sides behind the panels

5th 12-04-2016 01:44 AM

Damn, those seats are gonna look good mounted.

Ski-me 12-05-2016 11:28 AM

When I read your post on my phone and you mentioned seats from another vehicle...I was thinking hmmmmm......

Now that I see them on my monitor screen, I'll have to admit, they look very nice! For some reason, they look pretty cool and not odd looking (as others have done on these trucks).

I'm no fab expert but I would try and fit those seat mounts to your existing seat brackets. That would be nice and get you pretty close on the height.

schpeen 12-05-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ski-me (Post 7787370)
When I read your post on my phone and you mentioned seats from another vehicle...I was thinking hmmmmm......

Now that I see them on my monitor screen, I'll have to admit, they look very nice! For some reason, they look pretty cool and not odd looking (as others have done on these trucks).

I'm no fab expert but I would try and fit those seat mounts to your existing seat brackets. That would be nice and get you pretty close on the height.

i said the same thing hmmmmmmm but when i got there and saw them i knew right away they were perfect and for $400 i put them in the back of my pickup before he changed his mind. I am going to have my rear seat redone to match these i got the rears from the same guy so i figure my upholsterer will be able to use same of the same diamond pattern as the fronts I am going to do the rear panels door panels and headliner with similar style black padded leatherette

schpeen 12-11-2016 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thinking about going with this color scheme love the visor !!

schpeen 12-13-2016 08:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my back seat back from the upholstery shop. Did a nice job matching the front seats I didn't want to go crazy with the diamond stitching.

Ski-me 12-13-2016 12:03 PM

Do you have the rear shoulder seatbelt?

schpeen 12-14-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ski-me (Post 7794854)
Do you have the rear shoulder seatbelt?

no sir i do not

schpeen 01-08-2017 08:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
truck has been sitting at a friends shop to get a few spots massaged and take care of the rust i found on the roof. sat for 3 weeks until the last few days it got rolled in and the works has begun door got adjusted tailgate dent straightened out and pulled a few more parts off

68Timber 01-08-2017 10:31 AM

Looking good.

schpeen 01-09-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7818462)
Looking good.

this is the best part for me is the anticipation of seeing it a different color

i never know if it's going to have paint on it or not when i swing by to visit
yesterday i spent a little time taking off parts here and there i stripped out the rear window regulator and the power window switch thank goodness for LMC looks like the only thing worth saving is the regulator itself nothing looks too expensive until you start adding it all up of course jeez louise

schpeen 01-09-2017 07:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
couple pics while i was there the grill and surround needs replaced how hard is it to swap out a to a different year setup at this point ??

68Timber 01-10-2017 11:23 AM

Different color? I believe the quad-headlight setup uses a different core support.

schpeen 01-10-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7821579)
Different color? I believe the quad-headlight setup uses a different core support.

I got a plan!
Posted via Mobile Device

68Timber 01-12-2017 02:44 PM

I was shopping rattletrap last night. How much did it take to do the floors?

schpeen 01-12-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7823926)
I was shopping rattletrap last night. How much did it take to do the floors?

100 sq ft and i need to get some more for the doors

schpeen 01-12-2017 08:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
making progress

schpeen 01-12-2017 08:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
gathering up a few parts

schpeen 01-15-2017 03:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
welding done only rust on the whole truck was in the roof

schpeen 01-16-2017 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
po hacked the dash so i want to go back to the way it was

schpeen 01-16-2017 06:57 PM

does anyone know where to get a new rear window switch? mines roached lol

68Timber 01-17-2017 01:32 AM

Those weren't reproduced anywhere last I heard.

Ski-me 01-18-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schpeen (Post 7828631)
does anyone know where to get a new rear window switch? mines roached lol

Super hard to find. Need to comb ebay for it.

$50-$100 new

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-81-91-K5...p2047675.l2557

schpeen 01-22-2017 08:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
making progress

68Timber 01-23-2017 06:59 AM

Sweet. They do like to rust on the side where the half-cab meets the bed rail, first one I've seen that rusted higher up on the cab first.

schpeen 01-23-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7835575)
Sweet. They do like to rust on the side where the half-cab meets the bed rail, first one I've seen that rusted higher up on the cab first.

Apparently they were designed to drip water out through the channel on each side that gets clogged up which causes them to rust out in that area mine was not clogged, so no rust there. The rust on the roof was another story the previous owner sprayed some yellow foam in there maybe as a sound insulation but the foam retained water which caused it to rust. We thoroughly treated it and cleaned it out and welded and sealed so she should be tight for a while Gathering parts while the truck is in the shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

68Timber 01-23-2017 09:09 AM

That makes sense, I've never seen one rust in that spot only before.

schpeen 01-23-2017 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got the new mirrors mounted and the sun visor really impressed how nice the Summit sun visor is perfect fit too

trying to get primer on her tomorrow

schpeen 01-23-2017 08:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here are a few more pics from today

schpeen 01-23-2017 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
only let's me upload a couple at a time

68Timber 01-25-2017 02:52 AM

You found a NOS hood ornament?

mcmlxix 01-25-2017 07:19 AM

Just thought you might be tempted with some billet door handles....

https://www.gsimfab.com/73-87-billet...4257_8769.html

https://www.gsimfab.com/uimages/prod..._Buttons_b.jpg

schpeen 01-26-2017 08:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
finally sprayed some primer last night!

schpeen 01-26-2017 09:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
a couple more pics not sure why but the system only allows me to upload a couple at a time

schpeen 01-26-2017 09:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
couple more pics