The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1968 GMC - Ol' Blue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=772047)

cornerstone 08-27-2021 08:35 PM

Re: 1968 GMC - Ol' Blue

It'd be a shame to scratch that bed floor! I'd rather buy a new truck to work with than watch all my hard work get tore up. If it were mine, of course. Your paint is a work of automotive art!:chevy:

MDPotter 09-22-2021 09:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My dad and I entered in or first car show last weekend. We didn't win any awards, but didn't go expecting to either. There are lots of guys there that travel quite a ways with very nice and rare cars and get there early to get the right spot. We did meet a local guy that's into C10's and also talked to a couple guys that needed a little inspiration to work on their own projects which is more important than winning a trophy.

It's a mystery how sometimes things happen when they do. A few days before the show, I walk out to the garage and there's a puddle of ATF under my truck. The first though that comes to my head is tailshaft seal. Then I go down the rabbit hole on the internet about that, or the tailshaft bushing, is it right seal in the first place, and eventually I find a post about a "welch plug" that sometimes exist in transmission yokes. So I slid my body under the truck (I don't have a jack at my house-I think that's what I'll ask for Christmas) and did some investigating and found that there is a pinhole in the center of the yoke and the ATF is seeping out of it. So I cleaned it up and applied some RTV and it seems to be fixed. I don't know why after so many months it started to leak. I hadn't driven it in about three weeks - maybe the fluid slowly crept towards the tail shaft? Regardless, it was an easy fix.

Still happy with the truck. There are things I want to do to it, but nothing that's actually important. I would like to convert to coils in the rear to get it a little lower and to ride better, convert to 5 lug so I can get the wheels I want, get A/C, and reclear the hood. Just not a priority for the foreseeable future.

Attachment 2133390
Attachment 2133400
Attachment 2133402

clay68c10 11-16-2021 12:07 PM

Looking good!
On your trans leak; there is an o-ring on the output shaft that can cause that leak. If you look at the inside of your slip yoke, there's a smooth area before the splines where that o-ring sits and seals the splines. It's an easy fix, just pull the tail housing to get to it.

MDPotter 11-16-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 8996471)
Looking good!
On your trans leak; there is an o-ring on the output shaft that can cause that leak. If you look at the inside of your slip yoke, there's a smooth area before the splines where that o-ring sits and seals the splines. It's an easy fix, just pull the tail housing to get to it.

Thanks for the input, I might get into it someday. It hasn't leaked since I applied the RTV and I just chalk it up to my truck telling me it needs exercise.

jasinger01 12-09-2021 01:55 PM

Love the build!! What are your overall thoughts on the drop leafs? I have a 69 GMC that I'm torn on. Stuck on drop leafs vs a DJM flip kit. Ideally I'd like 4-5" drop, and I'm afraid a flip kit may be too low.

MDPotter 12-09-2021 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasinger01 (Post 9005174)
Love the build!! What are your overall thoughts on the drop leafs? I have a 69 GMC that I'm torn on. Stuck on drop leafs vs a DJM flip kit. Ideally I'd like 4-5" drop, and I'm afraid a flip kit may be too low.

They're okay. You may have noticed, but I had a super thick pack of leaves and even with 4" drop springs I dropped somewhere between 3"-4". If you want 4-5" of drop, I would go for the flip kit. I expected and wanted more drop and might have to convert to coils someday to get the ride height I want and a better ride. Worst case, the flip kit is too low and you're out $100 or so and you sell the kit.

jasinger01 12-10-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 9005210)
They're okay. You may have noticed, but I had a super thick pack of leaves and even with 4" drop springs I dropped somewhere between 3"-4". If you want 4-5" of drop, I would go for the flip kit. I expected and wanted more drop and might have to convert to coils someday to get the ride height I want and a better ride. Worst case, the flip kit is too low and you're out $100 or so and you sell the kit.

Yeah, I think that's the rationale I'm leaning towards. Can start with a flip kit, which is entirely reversible and a fraction of the cost of the drop leafs. I'm working on the front end now with drop spindles and drop coils so once I finish that, I'll see how it sits and make a decision on the rear. Seems like everyone that has a GMC has to go through this decision on the rear suspension!

MDPotter 12-10-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasinger01 (Post 9005478)
Yeah, I think that's the rationale I'm leaning towards. Can start with a flip kit, which is entirely reversible and a fraction of the cost of the drop leafs. I'm working on the front end now with drop spindles and drop coils so once I finish that, I'll see how it sits and make a decision on the rear. Seems like everyone that has a GMC has to go through this decision on the rear suspension!

Yes, that's the drawback to having a GMC. Leaf springs make it harder to lower and the ride isn't as nice. I bet you end up happy with the flip kit if you're going with drop spindles and coils.

TA_C10 01-20-2022 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 8996471)
Looking good!

Hey, catching up on threads been forever. Clay is right, and I'm surprised you didn't see me fix mine. Same exact issue. Hole in yoke. ATF puddle one day. Go check out my post in build thread if you want I explained the whole thing. I think lol. And i also went down that rabbit hole. Turns out there are different output shafts on same trans for different uses cases. Long story short, if you got a yoke with the weep hole, you need the rubber o-ring on output shaft. If you don't have the weep hole, you don't need the o-ring. Something like that :D

Now get to work, I expected more updates on this thread...

TA_C10 01-21-2022 12:06 AM

Found it, post 628, link below.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...&postcount=628

MDPotter 01-21-2022 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 9022271)
Hey, catching up on threads been forever. Clay is right, and I'm surprised you didn't see me fix mine. Same exact issue. Hole in yoke. ATF puddle one day. Go check out my post in build thread if you want I explained the whole thing. I think lol. And i also went down that rabbit hole. Turns out there are different output shafts on same trans for different uses cases. Long story short, if you got a yoke with the weep hole, you need the rubber o-ring on output shaft. If you don't have the weep hole, you don't need the o-ring. Something like that :D

Now get to work, I expected more updates on this thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 9022285)

Thanks for posting this. If it happens again, I'll have to dive in deeper. Smearing some RTV over the weep hole in the yoke has held up so far!

I'm still dreaming of wheels/tires/5 lug conversion/truetrac/3.73 gears. Maybe someday...