The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Diesel help!!? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=584595)

72chevynoob 06-13-2013 08:26 PM

Diesel help!!?

The farm truck started acting strange yesterday. Dad drove to town, and parked for a while. He started it up and it ran fine, but it had no power at all. Going 100kmh -60mph it has to be at nearly WOT. I replaced the fuel filter today, lots of fuel in there so the lift pump is good. I can hear the turbo spooling, so it is still good. Do any of you have ideas about what it could be?
Thanks
By the way it is a 2000 dodge with a cummins 5.9
Posted via Mobile Device

clinebarger 06-13-2013 09:20 PM

Re: Diesel help!!?

Boost leaks? Check the intercooler boots for tears/rips.
Check fuel pressure!! The filter housing being full of fuel means nothing.
Codes?

72chevynoob 06-14-2013 12:24 AM

I will check for tears tomorrow. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge or a code reader though. I will be investing in both eventually, just havent needed either until now.
Posted via Mobile Device

storm9c1 06-14-2013 11:59 AM

At WOT going 60 MPH, is it spitting tremendous amounts of black smoke or not?

72chevynoob 06-14-2013 12:18 PM

No smoke at all.
Maybe spark plugs or distributor? :lol: Thats what my friend thought!
Posted via Mobile Device

storm9c1 06-14-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72chevynoob (Post 6123180)
No smoke at all.
Maybe spark plugs or distributor? :lol: Thats what my friend thought!
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL

Lots of black smoke can mean intake plumbing problems (leaking). Lack of black smoke can mean fuel delivery problems. I just wanted to narrow that down first.

72chevynoob 06-14-2013 02:00 PM

So possibly injection pump or injectors then?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rollo McFlurry 06-14-2013 02:15 PM

You are absolutely sure of the lift pump? Our 98 would lose the lift pump intermittently, and my uncle drove it like that until the injector pump fried.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 06-14-2013 03:52 PM

You should be able to cycle the ignition switch 3 times and the odometer will display the codes if there are any. When you remove the fuel filter, drain some fuel from the bowl, turn the ignition on and bump the starter. The lift pump should run and you need to time how long it takes to fill up the fuel filter canister. If it is slow and low volume, chances are your lift pump is bad. These fail a lot on these trucks and take out the injection pump. You could also have a bad map sensor too. Try checking for codes and let us know if there are any.

72chevynoob 06-14-2013 05:03 PM

There are no codes. I checked and it just says "p done" which apparently means no trouble codes. The lift pump fills really quick, actually suprised me and made a mess.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 06-14-2013 05:23 PM

Is it manual or auto trans? How does the trans shift during normal driving?

chevy_mike 06-14-2013 05:27 PM

24 valve Cummins, it is very common for the pump to not keep up with enough pressure. You MUST check this under load, not just in your driveway. Run your injector pump too long with low fuel pressure, you'll be replacing it at the tune of about $2000. You might be getting a lot of fuel but not enough pressure. This is about 99% of the time, the issue when it suddenly happens.

This is why I bought a 12 valve Cummins as they don't have nearly any problems with fuel pressure issues like the 24 valve engines (which start in 98.5 production year).

72chevynoob 06-14-2013 05:28 PM

It is an auto trans. Usually when at wot it takes a long time to shift. The trans has never let it accelerate very fast, but it always had power. I did check the fluid level and it was good, maybe high.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 06-14-2013 07:32 PM

It sounds like you might have an APPS, applied pedal pressure sensor, issue. Do you have a fluke meter or equivelant? Do you have the means to check fuel pressure at the injection pump? It should have 8-14psi on a stock lift pump. Anything below 8 is asking for trouble. I strongly recommend an aftermarket lift pump on these trucks. It is a form of insurance for your VP44.

72chevynoob 06-14-2013 11:18 PM

By fluke meter you mean multimeter? I have one of those. I think we will end up replacing the lift pump. Would this be a good choice? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bd...2500/year/2000
So I should use the multimeter to measure the resistance on the APPS? Where is that located, and how do I measure it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dieselwrencher 06-14-2013 11:23 PM

Holly cow! For that kind of money, you might as well get an Airdog! Have you heard of airtex pumps? If your truck is stock, you can go to an Orielly's and they carry the airtex which will replace the stock lift pump. Here is a guy that has the best option for apps sensors, and a good deal of info on them.

http://www.dodgecumminsapps.com/calibration.html

72chevynoob 06-14-2013 11:42 PM

Would any other parts stores carry airtex? We don't have oreillys in Canada. Should I go with the in tank or external pump? Gotta have this thing on the road in under a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

burnin oil 06-17-2013 09:02 AM

Check the Cummins boards. there are enough options to make your head spin. Also see which pumps to avoid, ie the Holley black pump. Apps failure is relatively common. I didn't check the link but the IH version with the adapter harness used to be the cheapest.

72chevynoob 06-18-2013 05:39 PM

Ok, we brought it in to a shop today. They hooked up their code reader, then told us it was the MAP sensor. They replaced it and its as good as new! Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!
Posted via Mobile Device