The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Logging with the K30 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=807325)

stomper 06-04-2020 11:23 AM

Logging with the K30

2 Attachment(s)
Cut down some trees behind my house last week. Just got it cleaned up enough to drive my truck back there without fear of driving over a branch and smacking a mirror off. I'll have it stacked cab high with firewood later this summer.

1976gmc20 06-04-2020 11:50 AM

Re: Logging with the K30

Really nice pickup to be hauling firewood in! Of course back when they were somewhat new it wasn't such a big deal because you could just go buy another one.

I had 2x2 stakes and cab-high 1x8 sides and front on my "old" K/20. The stakes were about 8-12" taller than the sideboards. One time a bunch of us young folks went up on a powerline ROW in Alaska to glean firewood for the church. It was cut in odd lengths and stacked to the side just free for the taking, IF you could get in and out of there. It wasn't any more than a dozer trail, and of course all the easy stuff was gone.

With all that young manpower (and young womanpower!) we loaded my pickup up to cab high with 8-10' birch logs, and then slung a bunch of 12-14' poles up on top sticking out over the cab. Another guy brought a LR-90 with a little 2 wheel open cargo trailer. Coming out there was a really steep muddy hill. My loaded truck went right up but the Rover and the trailer didn't make it 1/4 of the way. I only had about 20' of cable so I had to back about halfway down the hill to hook up. The big mean green Chevy pulled that Rover and its pathetic little trailer load of wood up that steep muddy hill without even groaning :)

stomper 06-04-2020 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Planning on using this stake rack. 76, now that I read your account of loading firewood as a 'young folk', I'm reminded that I'm not young and it will take me days to get that much in there.

1976gmc20 06-04-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 8751795)
Planning on using this stake rack. 76, now that I read your account of loading firewood as a 'young folk', I'm reminded that I'm not young and it will take me days to get that much in there.

Nice rack! :lol:

These days my wood truck is a 1500, so I don't have any sideboards. I broke down last fall and bought a semi-load of pulp wood and had it dumped in the sagebrush on the other side of our land. So my firewood haul is about a quarter mile each way. I stihl have my professional saw, so at 66 I can cut and load what amounts to basically a level full load (minus the saw box and spare tire) and bring it back to the yard and unload it in a little more than an hour - but then I'm done with it for the day ;)

Most of these logs are green and some of the round blocks I can barely pick up and set in the truck!

stomper 06-04-2020 12:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8751812)
Nice rack! :lol:

These days my wood truck is a 1500, so I don't have any sideboards. I broke down last fall and bought a semi-load of pulp wood and had it dumped in the sagebrush on the other side of our land. So my firewood haul is about a quarter mile each way. I stihl have my professional saw, so at 66 I can cut and load what amounts to basically a level full load (minus the saw box and spare tire) and bring it back to the yard and unload it in a little more than an hour - but then I'm done with it for the day ;)

Most of these logs are green and some of the round blocks I can barely pick up and set in the truck!

Good for you 76. Out there workin! We took out 50 or 60 160ft tall doug fir trees. Made 6 log truck loads. The 2 guys doing it for me are in their 60's. I'm 52 and they are an inspiration. The last pic is 7th truck all short or under 8" so firewood

kipps 06-04-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8751790)
With all that young manpower (and young womanpower!) we loaded my pickup...

You got that figured out! The "young manpower" multiplies itself several-fold, if you have the "young womanpower" along as well.

1976gmc20 06-04-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipps (Post 8751838)
You got that figured out! The "young manpower" multiplies itself several-fold, if you have the "young womanpower" along as well.

I don't remember who all was along that trip, but some of the gals back then were pretty hardy in their own right. It was a different time. I've lost track of all of them now. Some good folks, but it was a cult and I had to leave.

1976gmc20 06-04-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 8751821)
Good for you 76. Out there workin! We took out 50 or 60 160ft tall doug fir trees. Made 6 log truck loads. The 2 guys doing it for me are in their 60's. I'm 52 and they are an inspiration. The last pic is 7th truck all short or under 8" so firewood

Nice logs :)