The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

sduckworth13 05-19-2014 01:24 PM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

That's great news to hear the steering issue is solved. I didn't realize that cross link could be a issue, I was worried about putting in the centerlink backwards when I did the suspension on the GMC. Thanks for everything Vic this weekend!, I'm also sure glad I know that shortbed bed side I have is going to fit without any issues. I've been worried since you had to cut on your inner bedsides.

Vic1947 05-19-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6679943)
Hunh! Thanks for throwin' that up, now I gotta go check mine! Is this the dealer guy, or a for-real owner?

He's the guy that bought it, then ran it thru the Dallas auction with no sale. Guess he decided to keep it after all. Said he's been taking it to some cruise-ins and getting lots of looks. The upside is, now he'll also have a "stupid PO" story to tell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6679981)
That's great news to hear the steering issue is solved. I didn't realize that cross link could be a issue, I was worried about putting in the centerlink backwards when I did the suspension on the GMC. Thanks for everything Vic this weekend!, I'm also sure glad I know that shortbed bed side I have is going to fit without any issues. I've been worried since you had to cut on your inner bedsides.

Me neither, Scott. I had to dig out the photos from Silver to see exactly what he was telling me. I'm still assimilating how that's possible. And you're welcome, glad I could be of assistance.

mcbassin 05-19-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't have believed you could do this, but it's obviously possible, as the pictures below show. The top one is incorrect and the bottom is how it should be. Ya learn something every day
I didn't think that part would mount up wrong? I need to check mine too

jlsanborn 05-19-2014 05:22 PM

Help a blind guy out here. What's the difference in the pics?

Vic1947 05-19-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6680309)
Help a blind guy out here. What's the difference in the pics?

Notice how in the top photo, the tie rod is running underneath the idler arm. In the bottom shot, the tie rod is between the end of the idler arm and the crossmember. Don't feel bad, two front end shops (Chevrolet and an independent in KC) missed it and it took two days in a shop in Dallas before someone said, "Do ya think that crosslink is in backwards?"

jlsanborn 05-20-2014 12:46 AM

Ah, there's Waldo --> Ha!

I ran and checked mine and can see how it'd fit up either way. In fact, just the way the rest of the stuff kind of splays back (A-Arms, sway bar) it looks like that's the way it ought to be . Props to the eagle-eye that figgered that out and to Vic for humbly sharing that foo-bar with us!

Dean'smeanmachine 05-21-2014 10:49 AM

ha! we all do things like that. it keeps us Humble....;)

Vic1947 05-23-2014 06:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Truck progress has been slow, to say the least. I did manage to get the hood and parts of the front wheel wells in Slick Sand. Amazing how much better it looks than the plastic patchwork. I had to take time off to repair two water lines on the TIG, but it's back humming again. Kathy has been patiently waiting for over a month for me to build the brackets to mount an umbrella for the deck. Seeing as how she's tolerated my truck activity for all this time, I figured I'd better get her project handled. Better safe than sorry.

And under the heading, "No good deed goes unpunished", the neighbor's kid asked me to air up the tire on his tricycle. Naturally, it had a tiny pinhole that turned into major blowout somewhere around 20psi. He's looking up at me like, "You just ruined my bike!" Frantically, I explained it was easily fixed, all that's needed is a trip to Target. So now it's in pieces on the bench. Dang!

Xeen 05-23-2014 10:17 PM

The hood looks awesome Vic!
I never did see a picture of the deck after you added the stairs, they look great.
Sigh the things we get ourselves into trying to help others but at least it's a quick fix.

swamp rat 05-24-2014 03:41 AM

I think progress ha been pretty slow for almost all of us, with spring were all catching up on neglected stuff. Nice progress on the hood!

Low Elco 05-25-2014 10:33 AM

Awww Maaannnnn... At least you got some house stuff done!

jlsanborn 05-25-2014 10:50 AM

Oil pickup tube for a yellow truck in that photo?

Vic1947 05-25-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6692318)
Oil pickup tube for a yellow truck in that photo?

Yep, fixing to post pics of the (almost) finished product on Chip's thread. :ito:

Vic1947 06-08-2014 02:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've been sidetracked recently and CRLS hasn't been feeling the love. Had relatives staying with us off and on for a couple of weeks and worked on the parts getter truck and an engine overhaul for the son of one of my buddies. The kid bought a 383 SBC stroker off eBay that was "new", broke in on a test stand and ready to drop into his '57 Chevy BelAir. Upon startup, the cam was already flat and continued to self destruct during the brief moments it actually ran. The company he purchased it from turned their backs on him and the outfit that installed it in his car quoted an exorbitant price to fix it. So, long story short, it ended up here. During reassembly, I found out the hydraulic roller I bought to go back in it was defective. Intake lobe centerlines on numbers 1 & 6 were 7.5 degrees apart, when they should be identical. Have been cooling my heels waiting for the cam manufacturer to issue a return authorization. So I'm in limbo in a manner of speaking. Don't want to return to bodywork until the engine is buttoned up, but need to do something.

So I've been doing some research on the forum regarding air bag installation. When Scott D. sold off his project parts and pieces to fund the purchase of an actual running truck, I ended up with his AccuAir e-Level system and Slam Specialties bags and mounts. Crusty is gonna get bagged! I've been perusing the Suspension forum and there are a few good pics, but I still haven't run across a beginning to end tutorial for '67-'72 trucks that includes good pics. Just need to keep digging, I guess.

So that's what's been going on in my world recently. Soon as I get this mouse motor put back together and delivered, I'll be back on my stuff.

jeh 06-08-2014 05:24 PM

Vic, I'm liking the "bagged" idea. Good luck on your sons motor, there's nothing worse than somebody that won't stand behind what they sell. I've got a buddy here that bought a 496 stroker short block and the guy that built my 427 finished everything else on the motor. He got it finished and put in his '55 Chevy, after about 800 miles the trouble started. All bottom end problems, bearings, main cap bolt broke, and of course you know what the metal particles did mixed with the oil. To make a long story short $6000 later he sat the motor back in this weekend. I'm not sure where he got the short block from, but they wouldn't stand behind it.

bguild 06-08-2014 05:54 PM

Vic that is awesome about going bagged. I am on my phone so I can't copy the link easily but look up tcb-1 user and he has a great write up on a 69 air ride install. He also lives in Overland Park and probably could answer ques I need be. He is a great guy. Also provides great write ups and does stuff cleanly and the right way.

Bennett68C10 06-08-2014 06:44 PM

Vic I'm loving that your planning to bag the truck now. If you have any questions or need any help let me know. You stated that you received the mounts with the bags from Scott so your already ahead of the game. It is pretty simple to get the bags mounted, especially in the front. The biggest pain is drilling out the frame for the airline fitting in the rear. If you plan on mounting the bags directly to the frame then you have some metal to drill through :lol: No matter what I suggest running a 2" lowering block in the rear, if you aren't already. This allows you to run more air pressure in the rear bag with a lower ride height. Good luck with the install.

Vic1947 06-08-2014 07:46 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I'm sure I'll need your expertise as this progresses. Brian, I found tcb-1's build thread, but many of the photos were hosted by photo bucket and are no longer available. There are enough to get a feel for what he did, so I've bookmarked it for further review. This plan started out as a pair of rear bags with Schrader valves. Like everything I touch it morphed into ...well, something else.

Dean'smeanmachine 06-08-2014 09:22 PM

cool stuff, i like your shop, very nice n neat

jlsanborn 06-08-2014 09:29 PM

Wow - lucky you found that! Not many even take the time to check or adjust cam timing.

Anxious to see the bag set up Vic!!

bguild 06-08-2014 09:38 PM

Darn Vic- you might send him a note I bet he could send you the pics. He is a great guy.

sduckworth13 06-08-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6711560)
I've been sidetracked recently and CRLS hasn't been feeling the love. Had relatives staying with us off and on for a couple of weeks and worked on the parts getter truck and an engine overhaul for the son of one of my buddies. The kid bought a 383 SBC stroker off eBay that was "new", broke in on a test stand and ready to drop into his '57 Chevy BelAir. Upon startup, the cam was already flat and continued to self destruct during the brief moments it actually ran. The company he purchased it from turned their backs on him and the outfit that installed it in his car quoted an exorbitant price to fix it. So, long story short, it ended up here. During reassembly, I found out the hydraulic roller I bought to go back in it was defective. Intake lobe centerlines on numbers 1 & 6 were 7.5 degrees apart, when they should be identical. Have been cooling my heels waiting for the cam manufacturer to issue a return authorization. So I'm in limbo in a manner of speaking. Don't want to return to bodywork until the engine is buttoned up, but need to do something.

So I've been doing some research on the forum regarding air bag installation. When Scott D. sold off his project parts and pieces to fund the purchase of an actual running truck, I ended up with his AccuAir e-Level system and Slam Specialties bags and mounts. Crusty is gonna get bagged! I've been perusing the Suspension forum and there are a few good pics, but I still haven't run across a beginning to end tutorial for '67-'72 trucks that includes good pics. Just need to keep digging, I guess.

So that's what's been going on in my world recently. Soon as I get this mouse motor put back together and delivered, I'll be back on my stuff.

That's sucks to hear about the motor. Vic I do have those two inch lowering blocks that Keith was suggesting. I can bring them by anytime.

sduckworth13 06-08-2014 10:52 PM

That sucks to hear about the motor. Vic I do have those two inch lowering blocks that Keith was suggesting. I can bring them by anytime.

Vic1947 06-08-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6712246)
That sucks to hear about the motor. Vic I do have those two inch lowering blocks that Keith was suggesting. I can bring them by anytime.

That would be great, Scott, saves me making them!

sduckworth13 06-08-2014 11:26 PM

I'll trade you out U bolts too, the ones I have are for the two inch lowering blocks.