The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's Talk about In-Cab Reproduction Gas Tanks and EEC vs non-EEC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=804033)

fishmunger 04-08-2020 09:17 PM

Let's Talk about In-Cab Reproduction Gas Tanks and EEC vs non-EEC

OK, spent the last 2 hours reading every thread I could find on replacement in cab gas tanks.

I have a 72 K10 with rust inside the tank. Just had Lars rebuild my stock carb and don't want to clog it all up.

My tank appears to be an original EEC tank, however, there is no sign of the 'canister' anywhere under the hood. Does anyone have a pic of what a complete EEC system should look like?

If my EEC system is not 'complete' should I bother ordering an EEC style tank? I don't need the truck to be perfectly original. Would the older style tank be a direct bolt in as long as I get the correct gas cap?

I've read that I need to get the Canadian-made spectra tank and not the taiwanese one. It appears nobody actually makes a correct 72 EEC tank reproduction with the 1.5" neck, all the repops have the 2" neck anyway. Which is why I began wondering, is it even worth messing with this EEC stuff and I'd be better off just getting the older style tank and calling it a day?

davischevy 04-08-2020 11:31 PM

Re: Let's Talk about In-Cab Reproduction Gas Tanks and EEC vs non-EEC

I just ordered an in cab tank through Autozone. No shipping.

69Tom 04-08-2020 11:40 PM

Interested to see responses here. Haven’t decided whether I want to go in cab on my K10 or not. Keeping it pretty original so I might....

fishmunger 04-08-2020 11:41 PM

davischevy, do you know if yours is a spectra?

davischevy 04-08-2020 11:44 PM

I am not sure. I was impressed with the finish. I did have to change the fuel cap.

The thing about buying through a local parts store, you can send it back if no satisfied.

davischevy 04-08-2020 11:46 PM

I'm pretty sure it is a Spectra, but only pretty sure.

69Tom 04-08-2020 11:57 PM

This thread is 4 years old. so maybe someone started but no one at the time made a correct 72 EEC tank. GMCPaul still doesn't carry one, so I'd assume one isn't made.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&postcount=13

SRU1436 04-09-2020 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmunger (Post 8712334)
OK, spent the last 2 hours reading every thread I could find on replacement in cab gas tanks.

I have a 72 K10 with rust inside the tank. Just had Lars rebuild my stock carb and don't want to clog it all up.

My tank appears to be an original EEC tank, however, there is no sign of the 'canister' anywhere under the hood. Does anyone have a pic of what a complete EEC system should look like?

If my EEC system is not 'complete' should I bother ordering an EEC style tank? I don't need the truck to be perfectly original. Would the older style tank be a direct bolt in as long as I get the correct gas cap?

I've read that I need to get the Canadian-made spectra tank and not the taiwanese one. It appears nobody actually makes a correct 72 EEC tank reproduction with the 1.5" neck, all the repops have the 2" neck anyway. Which is why I began wondering, is it even worth messing with this EEC stuff and I'd be better off just getting the older style tank and calling it a day?

I have a stock EEC system in my truck, I’ll take a picture of it after work tomorrow and post them.

OL SKOOL 04-09-2020 08:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Replaced my 70 tank with one from a 72. I might want to go with a ls sometime and this will give me a return line option. Was a Key tank from J.C. Whitney fit is like factory. The first tank was damaged in shipment that shows in the pics. I think it was 160 shipped to the door.

71gmcC15 04-09-2020 01:05 PM

Run all the vent tubes. Like stock then when it comes to the canister just delete it. Add a filter to the end of the main vent hose that runs to the canister and get rid of all the vacuum lines. Never had a problem.

fishmunger 04-09-2020 03:11 PM

69Tom - Yeah, I saw that thread too...and I was like here we go, nothing is ever as simple as it should be!

SRU1436 - That would be super helpful! Mine has an open, uncapped line that terminates underneath inside the frame rail on the passenger side close to the bottom or the radiator/battery box. I had been wondering what it was for. I am guessing it is reminiscent of the old canister.

OL Skool - Your tank looks like it fits like a glove. That's what I'm after. I don't plan on doing an LS swap, so I'm staying traditional.

71GMCC15 - Is that what you did with yours or are you recommending that approach?

It appears that my current tank has the wrong cap on it, and there's no canister. It only has a 2 line fuel pump too. The EEC trucks had a 3 line fuel pump correct? I'd like to just follow the path of least resistance in getting a new tank in here. I don't particularly care if the truck is EEC or not as long as it works right and I don't have to make any custom modifications...

71gmcC15 04-09-2020 03:35 PM

That what was already done to mine. The canister was still there but the bottom was blown out. So I just put a filter on one house that was still there and called it a day.

69Tom 04-09-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmunger (Post 8712844)
69Tom - Yeah, I saw that thread too...and I was like here we go, nothing is ever as simple as it should be!

No kidding. I'm glad you posted this. I just got a 72 and only had earlier trucks prior to this so I was all set to chuck my original tank and just buy a new one. After reading through numerous threads on the subject, I think I'm going to take my tank to the local radiator shop and have them hot tank it to clean it out and see where I'm at at that point. Mine is a SoCal desert truck, so if it wasn't lacking a cap for god knows how long, there'd probably be nothing too wrong with it.

fishmunger 04-09-2020 05:15 PM

Does yours still have canister?

davischevy 04-09-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Tom (Post 8712861)
No kidding. I'm glad you posted this. I just got a 72 and only had earlier trucks prior to this so I was all set to chuck my original tank and just buy a new one. After reading through numerous threads on the subject, I think I'm going to take my tank to the local radiator shop and have them hot tank it to clean it out and see where I'm at at that point. Mine is a SoCal desert truck, so if it wasn't lacking a cap for god knows how long, there'd probably be nothing too wrong with it.

I don't blame you for trying to save the original tank. I tried to save the one I just replaced. I put a bunch of time and money into it. All seemed well, then I took it for a drive and started smelling gas fumes. It had developed a pinhole on the back side.

fishmunger 04-09-2020 05:36 PM

Since my system is incomplete and I don't plan on completing it, it's basically going to operate as a pre-'71 in function...I'm thinking I have 2 options.

1) Replace with an EEC tank but it leave it kinda of 'unhooked' and use an old style gas cap.

2) Replace with a non-EEC tank which might be a little cleaner/simpler?

gpgofast 04-09-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmunger (Post 8712945)
Since my system is incomplete and I don't plan on completing it, it's basically going to operate as a pre-'71 in function...I'm thinking I have 2 options.

1) Replace with an EEC tank but it leave it kinda of 'unhooked' and use an old style gas cap.

2) Replace with a non-EEC tank which might be a little cleaner/simpler?

Gas caps are different between a 1971 and a 1972.

fishmunger 04-10-2020 10:39 AM

Right, but mine has got a cheapo, pre-72 on it already, and gas caps are cheap anyway.

bah someone tell what they would do if they were in my shoes I can't make a decision

SRU1436 04-10-2020 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my canister on my 72 c10. It’s a California truck.

fishmunger 04-10-2020 03:25 PM

Interesting. Thanks sru1436. I bought my truck out of Oregon but don't know if it's whole life was spent there or not. Does your truck have 3 lines coming out of the fuel pump?

SRU1436 04-10-2020 04:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes. The second photo is the three lines coming from inside the cab

fishmunger 04-10-2020 10:26 PM

Thank you very much for those pics. That is very helpful. Looks like me EEC system is missing most of the parts. I've got a spare line that runs inside the passenger frame rail, but thats it.

I'm leaning towards just going non EEC tank. If I switch to the older style tank, Do you think I'll have to cut my old EEC line off where it goes into the cab/tank or can I just leave it in place, defunct? I'm assuming it wouldn't interfere with anything...

SRU1436 04-11-2020 03:05 PM

You’re welcome

K10-Kansas 03-04-2023 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRU1436 (Post 8713585)
Yes. The second photo is the three lines coming from inside the cab

I have an EEC tank but I don't have 3 lines in the floor of the cab. I have 2. I have 1 fuel line and 1 vapor line. Does anyone know about these 3 lines?

ghackett1 03-05-2023 03:41 AM

I just put a new tank in my 68 C10. Original truck so it is just a straight tank never had the canister or vent lines.