The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   L33 question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840765)

mongocanfly 12-26-2022 10:56 PM

L33 question

I have a chance to pick up a 2006 L33, sadly it has no ecm or any of the throttle controls

I would want to change it to a dbc setup.. that's easy enough
Also plan on electric fans
And want to run AC
Will also be running a BP harness
and manual trans

The question
what ecm do I need , I'm confused as to what i would need
In my search it says 24x reluctor

Accelo 12-26-2022 11:49 PM

Re: L33 question

1 Attachment(s)
The L33 is a 5.3L, Gen. 3 small block engine used in GM trucks between 2005 and 2007. This motor also has the excellent 799, 243 heads installed. You also get larger valves than most of the 5.3L.
This is the desirable Aluminum block, if you are not boring or turbo-charging.
The aluminum block saves about 100 pounds.

The L33 used the 24x reluctor wheel.
You will need the matching computer to the reluctor ring, they do not interchange and software can't change this. Black crank sensor is 24 and I believe grey is 58

If you modify the motor don't forget to get it tuned at your local chassis dyno tuner. If you skip this step you may be leaving a lot of HP on the table.

The most straight forward approach would be to use an older P01 PCM (0411) programmed as a 2002 LS1 Camaro. This would get you the DBC, cooling fan.
Note; there are other options for the computer.
Confirm with the fellas at
https://bp-automotive.com/product-ca...wap-harnesses/
They will confirm and flash the ECM. Many companies will provide the ecm if you inquire.
Cheers

mongocanfly 12-27-2022 09:41 AM

Thanks

LS short box 12-27-2022 05:44 PM

I would get the ECM from BP since you are getting the harness from BP. They can load a base tune to get you running.
BP can also include wiring for either one or two fans and also set the on off speeds.
Same for the AC.
Doesn't say what you plan for a trans. I suspect BP can supply connectors and tuning for all the popular LS type transmissions.
I would pick up a used mass air flow sensor for the same year engine.
Good luck with your project.

mongocanfly 12-27-2022 06:40 PM

my bad, i thought i had manual trans in the above post..
ive sent BP a email for their recommendations , and will most likely go with their complete system
i was thinking i would need to source a ecm, so that fixed that issue..
now , if he dont sell it before i can get there

mongocanfly 12-28-2022 07:02 PM

BP got back to me , they've got everything I need ....thanks.!

verdell 01-03-2023 12:28 PM

Sounds like you have it under control but FYI, I have an '06 L33 and picked up harness and computer from PSI. I did call and explain to them that I'm running a DBC set up rather than the stock DBW and they were able to get me going. Had I known about BP Automotive, I'd have gone with their setup.

StorminNorman 01-03-2023 04:56 PM

You also may want to consider a Holley Terminator X setup. More versatile than a stock ECU, And potentially less hassle unless you have a local supertuner who does stock ecu's

sfont66 01-04-2023 02:52 PM

I have a 06 l33 , I recently finished a swap into my 72 C10. I considered PSI and BP for a complete set up, but after considering my needs and the cost of each system, I decided on the Holley terminator X, as I plan on adding a bigger cam and ported heads later this winter/spring and didn’t want to pay for a tune twice.
The Holley system does a pretty good job getting you going and learning your tune after some input, that said, I may need to have a tuner look at the tune once mods are complete, to maximize everything.

I too wanted DBC, and a Manual transmission so I didn’t have the expense or need for the Terminator X Max. I also didn’t need a Tac module, or matching gas pedal, or MAF, (SD tune)so I saved a bit there too.

I’m not trying to change anyones mind on a traditional harness or ECM, or that one system is better than another, just saying that the Holley terminator is worth a look.

LS short box 01-04-2023 05:42 PM

The Holley system has a good rep over LS1tech.com The is a guy on that site that does remote tuning. I think it isAndrew70? He also has a good rep.

ls1nova71 01-04-2023 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 9163002)
The Holley system has a good rep over LS1tech.com The is a guy on that site that does remote tuning. I think it isAndrew70? He also has a good rep.

His name is Andrew, his username on LS1Tech is Project GatTagO.

mongocanfly 01-04-2023 10:54 PM

Thanks to all.. the engine got sold about 1hr before I got there..