The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Evil Brake Dust! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=479665)

dropped81 08-15-2011 01:25 AM

Evil Brake Dust!

Hey guys I got kinda lazy for a while and didnt clean the brake dust off my rims and it ate into my clear coat and embedded itself into the rim and wont come off..any ideas on how to clean it...they dont make my rims anymore so i cant just buy new ones....so any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks guys!:gmc2:

camshaftgsxr 08-15-2011 08:53 AM

Re: Evil Brake Dust!

ive never heard of brake dust eating through clear coat.

i would suggest purple power, let it soak on the wheel and then pressure wash it of after some scrubbing

also change to ceramic pads, that will get rid of your brake dust problem

dropped81 08-15-2011 10:12 AM

ill take some pics of it tonight after work and post it up on here....thanks for the info cause im about to buy new brakes anyways!

Rogue_Alphonse 08-15-2011 08:34 PM

Oven cleaner... but then you might have to re-clear the rims if you use too much.

I used it on stock 1986 mags and it didn't hurt the clearcoat.

Cherub 08-15-2011 09:08 PM

switch to ceramic pads and say bye bye to that problem

juiceman650 08-15-2011 09:19 PM

I heard of a product called SharkSkin or something along those line that'll literally clean just about anything off of aluminum or any other metal. The only downside is I think it'll definitely eat through your clear coat.
Posted via Mobile Device

dropped81 08-15-2011 10:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Alright guys here's a pic of what the brake dust has done to my rim...ignore the giant dent i took that pic about a month ago it has since been fixed and you cant even tell it ever happened....the guy that fixed my rim tried a few cleaners and said they wouldn't do anything...his last option was to get a heavy scratch pad and constantly run water over the rim while i scratch at it kinda like wet sanding.:sumo:

juiceman650 08-16-2011 01:25 AM

Ooohhh, that's not healthy. The guy does have a point though, cuz I used soapy water and a scrubbing pad to clean my wheels. It scratched em some, but it got them cleaner
Posted via Mobile Device

dropped81 08-16-2011 01:40 AM

well im taking it to my dads shop wednesday to put my new lower control arms on and his girl friends brother just moved back and he paints so if need be i can have them re-cleared he also might have some ideas...i just want to be very careful with these rims seeing as they dont make them anymore, and i cant seem to find any for sale online!

Outlaw87 08-16-2011 02:44 AM

Try a clay bar on them before you start scuffing up your clear coat. If that is all brake dust, a clay bar will pull it out. Now I can't guarantee how good it will work since they are pretty well covered in brake dust, but at least it gives you another option. If it does work, it will be a pretty good chore, but will leave them silky smooth and ready for some wheel wax......:ito:

dropped81 08-16-2011 03:07 AM

hmmmmm ok thanks for the idea man i didnt even think of that...ill try it out!

kris's66lwb 08-16-2011 02:40 PM

hey at my work in the detail depart ment we have this stuff called alumashine its wheel acid i used on my aluminu wheels and it took off every thing that wasnt alum or paint wet the wheel spray this acid on there it turns white rear quick and pressure wash it off do not let it sit on there

f.monroe 08-16-2011 05:32 PM

Those look like Cast one piece wheels . If so they are hard to shine back up . Mothers Formula B is a wheel cleaner that is an Acid base . Spray it on , let it sit for 30-45 secondes and spray it off with water. This works for wheels that are polished . I do not think your wheels came from the factory with a clear coat on them unless they came off a conversion van or Suburban. Eagle wheels waas a cheaper wheel and the aluminum was not of the highest quality .They can be hard to polish. Use Mothers wheel polish and a ton of elbow action and they may come around.
Frank

Tony@AirRideTech 08-16-2011 05:37 PM

Once you get them clean... use a light coat of wax on them. That makes them easy to clean up.

KQQL IT 08-17-2011 12:10 AM

Strip the clear and polish them.
Posted via Mobile Device

dropped81 08-17-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f.monroe (Post 4848675)
Those look like Cast one piece wheels . If so they are hard to shine back up . Mothers Formula B is a wheel cleaner that is an Acid base . Spray it on , let it sit for 30-45 secondes and spray it off with water. This works for wheels that are polished . I do not think your wheels came from the factory with a clear coat on them unless they came off a conversion van or Suburban. Eagle wheels waas a cheaper wheel and the aluminum was not of the highest quality .They can be hard to polish. Use Mothers wheel polish and a ton of elbow action and they may come around.
Frank

These wheels are 2 piece and they came from the eagle polished.....mothers formula B wont work my wheel guy tried it i have some stuff called magic shine that made these look chrome and has never had a problem taking off brake dust till here recently!

dropped81 08-17-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KQQL IT (Post 4849508)
Strip the clear and polish them.
Posted via Mobile Device

If the clay bar will not work thats my next option i have tried everything and its basically a last resort!