The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   B's 70 2wd Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=503278)

BigCountryx 03-19-2013 07:56 PM

Re: B's 70 2wd Blazer

Exactly what I was thinking about changing the color of my blazer too after I wrecked it. I stayed with yellow just because it was the easy decision, but I love the charcoal on yours.
Posted via Mobile Device

72BlckButy 03-19-2013 08:13 PM

:agree:

Looks great!

Tom Vogel 03-20-2013 09:45 AM

Sweet sweet sweet!

tubbedII 03-21-2013 01:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I still get suprised everytime I open up the garage and see her with a glossy sheen...hopefully that feeling won't go away too soon cuz I like it...haha

It's been rainy and cloudy here the past few days, but hoping for some sunshine tomorrow as I've still never seen it in sunlight. I should have most if together by then as well so I'll get some update pics of what I've been doing...I'm pretty excited about 1 of them especially which should be done tonight...

BigCountryX...that yellow one of my favorite colors and it almost went with it as well. One of the cool things about these "trucks" is they look good in pretty much any color.

NTR72GMC 03-23-2013 03:59 PM

Paint looks great! Can't wait to see it all together.

ramega 03-26-2013 01:33 AM

dam i went to see this blazer all the way to the bay area ,it looked like to much work it looks great

zammer 03-26-2013 11:16 AM

Very cool and Unique color choice!

NewType72 03-27-2013 09:10 PM

Hey man just found this thread color looks amazing :metal: I was at Goodguys but I'm not sure if I saw your blazer or not. Just wanted to check and see if she made it or not keep up the great work

tubbedII 04-04-2013 12:15 PM

Well, I did make it to the show...5 days after it came out of the booth...boy was I exhausted. The worst part was the Friday night before the show. I finally got her running enough to drive it around Friday afternoon and wanted to give her a good cruise before the 1.5 hour haul to the show. After about a good half hour of driving with no issues, I made a u-turn and hit a pot hole that pinched the sidewall of the tires enought to cause a crack and leak air (not repairable). It was 8 o'clock at night by the time it started to leak air, so I thought my chances of the show were over. Luckily a friend had a set of 22's in storage with the same exact tire size, but I spent the next 4 hours trying to find a 24 hour road side assistance person that was willing to do the rubber band swap...it was kinda nuts and I ran out of time for more clean-up/prep for the show.

tubbedII 04-04-2013 12:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I haven't been really good about taking pics, but i do have some, so here they are...

Just to back track a little...here's some of the tailgate getting some love and the beginning stages of the paint process...

tubbedII 04-04-2013 12:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I didn't take any pics of the sealer going on, so here's during the base coat...

tubbedII 04-04-2013 12:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Then the clear went on...well the 1st pic actually is just wet base coat, but it looks like it was cleared so i put it with these...

tubbedII 04-04-2013 12:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Took a few more pics when I got her home...still needed to get all the panels lined up in these shots...

tubbedII 04-04-2013 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used to have the air ride gauges in the a/c control area, but after paint I didn't want to put them back there as it scratched the area pretty bad. So I cut up my center console and had my bro fab up a little plate with some holes in it for the gauges. I also added a switch to be able to cut the signal to pressure switch on my EDC. The electro magnet on the York's clutch has a pretty big draw and drains my battery really fast.

My console had the ashtray/seatbelt holders which looked good, but was pretty much useless to me. I'm considering building an addition to the console to go up to the dash...it's tough not having a cup holder.

tubbedII 04-04-2013 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kinda sad, but here's the only pic I took of the blazer at the show...I was pretty tired and didn't feel like looking my own ride that day...

You can kind of tell in this pic, but I painted the grill back pieces black and the inner part of the bowtie. For paint I used PlasticDip out of a rattle can...this was mainly just because if I didn't like how it looked, I could peel it right off, but I think it has a good amount of matte sheen to it...I was really just going for an "invisible" look.

tubbedII 04-04-2013 02:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I so I put a thread about the kick panel speakers in the audio portion, but since this thread is about my blazer, I'll post it up here too...

So I attempted on my own to make a set which actually didn't go bad, but I just didn't care for the typical tear drop design. I felt it didn't match my pretty much stock interior. I called in a friend and he came up with these...I feel they match the style of the truck much better and am super stoked on how they came out.

tubbedII 04-04-2013 02:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I just got them installed the other day, so here's how they look in the blazer. I like how the courtesy lights shine on them too.

In these pics you can also see that I painted the chrome glove box door black on the inside. I'm still working on another one where I stripped the paint of and brushing it, but this does nicely right now.

tubbedII 04-04-2013 02:45 PM

That's about it for the updates with pics. I still need to do a bunch of little things like clean up wiring, clean the engine bay, clean the carpet just to say it's good.

The next real projects on this though will be:

-Rear panels
I plan to put "ribs" in them to match the door panels and they also will house my rear coaxle 6.5" Polk Audio MM's and a set of led lights that turn on with courtesy lights (when the door opens).

-Subwoofers/Enclosure
The entire rear of the tub behind the seat will be taken up by the enclosure for the subs. It'll house 3 12 inchers (still looking for them) and a downfiring vented enclosure with the ports facing down as well. I don't know what I'm going to do for the top plate just yet, but I don't want it to be just a flat boring peice...might have to call in my friend again on this one.

-Build rails for the rear bed side tops
I've seen this done a couple times now where a rail is added to the top of the bedsides to make them flush with the doors. I have a lot of vinyl that was used to wrap the kick panels that I plan to use and it closely matches the paint/interior so I'm hoping it goes well there too.

hotrodhomi 04-04-2013 11:02 PM

Looks good B. We need to get together and cruise these things.

Tom Vogel 04-05-2013 09:26 AM

Very nice. And that glove box treatment is perfect, it matchs the factory instrument bezel. Good job.

VA72C10 04-05-2013 10:27 AM

:agree: Nice work on the glovebox door and kick panels!

zammer 04-05-2013 01:22 PM

I really like the look of the gauges on the console !!
Sik blazer man!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Heavy Evy 04-05-2013 01:50 PM

Man that blazer is baaaaaadddddd!!
Posted via Mobile Device

PHAT TONY 04-05-2013 09:33 PM

......I think I gotta steal that glove box door, maybe.

lolife99 04-05-2013 09:37 PM

Excellent work!