The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   BANG. Pics of whats left of my tranny. Enjoy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=172310)

72MARIO 09-10-2005 02:54 PM

BANG. Pics of whats left of my tranny. Enjoy

5 Attachment(s)
Here ya all go. Enjoy.

The 2005 Stang that was behind me got a tranny fluid bath and all the chunks from my tranny took some good sized paint samples of red paint from his front bumper and hood.

I had just left from a red light shifted aroung 3700 max and Bang Hop Hop. My dog had his head on the tranny tunnel he jumped up in my lap, Massive cloud of smoke could hardly see where I was going. On top of it all were are going down hill. I no longer had park and my ebrake cables got riped loose. I had to hand the guy from the Stang my tool box to put in front of the tire to stop the truck from rolling down the hill.

This tranny had about 3000 miles on it 700R. Shift kit 2000 stall. What a mess it was to pick up off the road :rolleyes: . I think I am done for the season. Way to broke to afford to fix this mess even it the tranny shop gives me a new tranny. The drive shaft is bent tranny mount ripped speedo cable riped tranny lines toast twisted. And I still would need $50 worth of tranny fluid.

Kinda over being angry now.

72MARIO 09-10-2005 02:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
more

Alvin 09-10-2005 03:05 PM

Holy crap that's a mess, glad nobody was hurt!

da-burb 09-10-2005 03:11 PM

I have heard of transmissions grenading but I have never seen one. That looks absolutely violent. How's this for good news? I think the tail housing made it through ok.

OLDROCK&ROLLER 09-10-2005 03:25 PM

Hot dang what a mess. Looks like it committed suiecide :(

72MARIO 09-10-2005 03:26 PM

Yep the $50 speedo grears better not have gotten wrecked.

That was my roller coaster ride for the year.

hilljob26 09-10-2005 03:42 PM

holy truck parts batman,looks like the joker got ya tranny

acloco 09-10-2005 04:00 PM

Hmmm...trans shop going to have a mechanical, machine shop, and a body shop bill.....let us know how that goes.

Sorry for your loss....seriously.

shortbed70 09-10-2005 04:10 PM

DANG you broke it. Sorry to hear about your loss. I would be very upset at the trans shop that rebuilt it.

stllookn 09-10-2005 04:27 PM

Mario...so after this experience...what are you going to put in it next time? How much hp you running?

texascowboy593 09-10-2005 04:52 PM

Thats looks scary. Thought it was my truck at 1st. sorry about the "passing" of your tranny. :whine:

pjmoreland 09-10-2005 05:36 PM

How much of that was still connected to your truck? That's impressive!

cdowns 09-10-2005 05:42 PM

a little bit of JB WELD and the case will b good as new

lloyd k 09-10-2005 07:07 PM

wow sorry for your loss-ive seen some break while using a trans brake at the strip but never anything that bad,i bet that was a sight to see and feel -i bet a big lump in your throat

BubbaGreen 09-10-2005 07:42 PM

OUCH!!!..........although, an interesting picture of parts. Do you think its the fault of the trans rebuilder...-or- too much horsepower?

Deuce 09-10-2005 08:26 PM

How much for the truck now?? ;) ;) :)

matthufham 09-10-2005 08:43 PM

duct tape it

i've really never seen something like this happen. it's interesting and scary at the same time. good luck getting her fixed.

XXL 09-10-2005 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da-burb
How's this for good news? I think the tail housing made it through ok.

Plus I just saved a bunch on my car insurance :rolleyes:

clay68c10 09-10-2005 08:59 PM

Wow. I've seen some things let go, but that tops all!!! I wonder what let go first to start it all? Hydraulic? Mechanical? If it happened during the shift maybe a sprag unassed or you had 2 opposite rotation members engage for too long.... Thinking back to tech school, if anything is delayed too long during the shift sequence (hydraulically) then bad things happen. Maybe you had a valve stick. OUCH.
I feel your pain, man.
Keep us posted on what your trans shop has to say.

Canadian694x4 09-10-2005 10:03 PM

Man that has to really piss ya off. Sorry to hear/see of the carnage. Glad you weren't hurt when it went off.

masterbeavis 09-10-2005 10:19 PM

Dumb question, but if your driveshaft was just a tad too long, could it compress on a launch, bind and kill something? Still looks like it sucked ass. My friend is running a stroked 454 on NOS using a 700R4. Put it all together and the bastard would not shift thru the gears. This was a trans with less than 5K on a rebuild, trans shop was like "you didnt say you were gunna run that much power..." Knock on wood the trans has held together. 700R4's arent the best HP trans (as if you didnt know already :() I have my eyes peeled for a 4L80E, will handle alot more abuse :D

Still, that really sucks ass. Ive never lost a tranny that bad before, but I did roast a C6, killed the inside so bad there was no useable parts for a rebuild. Lucky me I found a trans shop that was willing to trade guts out from one trans I had to another. Best $300 rebuild ever. :D

I think with that kind of failure that you can possibly talk the shop into giving you more than just the trans. A picture in the local paper with the name of the shop on it will get alot of exposure. OTOH, if your driveshaft is too long, shame on you for accepting a free trans for your mistake.

Good luck with the repairs, see if the shop will fill your trans for you, they buy their fluid in bulk, waay cheaper than $50. ever bit helps.

al's71gmc 09-10-2005 10:20 PM

Wow. That bites!! Did the shop install/setup or did you buy it and do the install. I hope they installed it. But even if they did, it'll likely be tough getting them to pay for the other damages. Sorry for your loss.
Al

cableguy0 09-10-2005 10:26 PM

usually the 700r4's just rip the band outta the case and dont crack the case in half. so much for saving money on gas huh

Longhorn Man 09-10-2005 10:34 PM

woah...I've never seen an auto blow up like that.
I doubt the D/S did that... not after that many miles.

72MARIO 09-11-2005 12:17 AM

Thanks for all the kind words.

Would you expect the tranny shop to cover all the damages ?

I would be surprized it I am pushing anywhere near 300HP at the wheels. It's basically a mild stock head motor and all the go fast look and work cool goodies.

The drive shaft was right on. I have between 1/2 and 3/4 of in out in the tail shaft. I guess I need a new on now anyways.

I had a local shop build the tranny. I told him I was going to beat the crap out of it but yet have had the nerve to chance loosing controll and smacking it up. I did the install. It was really easy just lifted it over the frame set the tail shaft on the crossmember and slid it onto the block.

There were just the bell housing bolts 6 of them and the TQ left up front and that chunk fell to the ground. The pan section was held up thanks to the shifter linkage. And the tail shaft wriped the mount apart so it also fell to the ground.

I am going to get another 700R. Hopefuly the shop deals with this sh*t. I may put the new one he supplys in my 84 that tranny is sloppy and I really dont want anther BomB in my 67. I could care less it the floor in the 84 get beat with flying parts..

A few guys around are running 454 and bigger with the 700R behing them drag racing on weekends Daily Drivers during the week. They are still holding together fine.I think I might go with that builder. I ll see.