The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   8" low profile sub (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=526170)

Hogsophist 05-24-2012 11:22 AM

8" low profile sub

anyone tried one of these?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SUB8...rv=12625223545

I'm looking for just good sound, not anything more. I have ordered the retrosound stereo and kick panel speaker assembly for my 57 and thought about this as the sub.

??

JRANGER 05-24-2012 11:40 AM

Re: 8" low profile sub

I went with a Pioneer setup. Fit perfect behind the seat of my 78 and i can still push the seat all the way back. I bought mine off buy.com though as it was a lot cheaper

SUB:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSS2...S2501&skipvs=T

BOX:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DSW1...UD-SW100T.html

tubbedII 05-25-2012 04:33 PM

I've never seen or heard that product. However, I wouldn't expect much out of it. The size of the entire piece is less than .2 cubic feet which doesn't include the speaker, amp or even the material thickness (So I'd be guessing less than .1 cubic foot of actual volume). I always hear that the enclosure/installation is the biggest factor in a good system, and this issue would make me stay clear.

I once built an enclosure at half the recommended size due to bad math and it sounded horrible...after rebuiling the box, it sounded great with no other changes.

Matt R 05-25-2012 08:56 PM

The pioneer stuff looks pretty good. You could also do some Tang Band woofers from parts-express.com or some Dayton audio shallow woofers. I've used several Tang Band products, they are very good for the price especially.

Matt

utee05 06-03-2012 03:57 PM

I was recommended to look at either the Polk MM series (840 8") or the Alpine Type-R (SWR-T10). In my case I was looking to place some subs underneath the seat. You can also look at the TC Sounds Epic 8".

tubbedII 06-04-2012 10:52 AM

I don't know how much room is under a typical bench (never measured personally), but I have seen 1 10" woofer under one. If this is a route you can go, I would recommend the RE Audio REX series 8" woofer. I have heard the 10" and for the price (about $50), I don't think it can be beat. The 8" only requires .35 cubic feet of enclosure sealed, so I would imagine you'd be able to get 1 under the seat incredible ease and more than likely 2 with 1 under each side.

BR3W CITY 06-04-2012 11:37 AM

RE audio was sold to a new company a couple years back, and the quality has gone downhill. They used to be a great "boutique" brand, and while there high end stuff is still pretty good for the money, the overall quality and service has suffered.

Focal makes some really impressive options, but the price is sometimes deterrent.

utee05 06-04-2012 12:06 PM

From my initial measurements in my 72 C1500 you should be able to fit a box that can allow up to 8" of depth. I am looking to fit a 10" underneath my set with a box that is 7" in depth.

tubbedII 06-04-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 5416461)
RE audio was sold to a new company a couple years back, and the quality has gone downhill. They used to be a great "boutique" brand, and while there high end stuff is still pretty good for the money, the overall quality and service has suffered.

Really?! That's bad news...I liked this line a lot.

Red68 06-05-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRANGER (Post 5397858)
I went with a Pioneer setup. Fit perfect behind the seat of my 78 and i can still push the seat all the way back. I bought mine off buy.com though as it was a lot cheaper

SUB:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSS2...S2501&skipvs=T

BOX:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DSW1...UD-SW100T.html

That is the same sub I have with a custom build box behind the seat of my 68. Powered by a 500 watt alpine amp. Sounds great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

chevy72blu 06-08-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Focal makes some really impressive options, but the price is sometimes deterrent.

Thats too bad. I actually met the owner a few times here in Las Vegas. Very passionate guys who took a lot of pride in their work. They were the "in" thing several years back.

I still have a few of their 8" and 12" woofers that sound like 12's and 15's respectively.

claytonisbob 06-14-2012 04:50 PM

Another slimline sub option is the 10" sub from ED: the SQ10

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=106

They're obviously not super high powered, but they sound good and they're cheap. I've been an Elemental Designs fan for years. They'll also build you a custom box if you want.

utee05 06-14-2012 05:01 PM

Also check out the Polk MM1040:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107MM10...io-MM1040.html

I am also a fan of ED as I have been using their equipment for years in my car and home theater. I may look at those EDs as well for my setup.

Hogsophist 06-15-2012 11:13 AM

after way too much research, and really liking the sound of the kick panel speakers that were in, i decided that for the money, i'm going to try one of these low profile subs. Easy for a dummy like me and with such a small space, i dont think i will need anything else. I'll let you guys know when i get it hooked in.

ordered a pyle 10" low profile sub off amazon for a pretty decent deal. Good reviews. We shall see.

dukcaln 06-25-2012 02:48 PM

please let me know because I need to get a sub installed under the seat too...I was looking at the pioneer.... keep us updated

E.Furgal 06-25-2012 07:18 PM

I like rockford fosgate.. some of mine are 15 years old and still work like new..

colin_havens 07-03-2012 11:34 PM

From what I understand, the guys that had RE Audio eventually opened up another speaker company called Fi Car Audio

Not sure if they offer a slim sub, but they make some amazing speakers. I would love to run one of their Q series 10s in my 67. Thats the plan anyway for the future when I revamp the audio in it.

jimmydean 07-05-2012 11:59 AM

Pioneer's are a solid sub for a low profile. I was looking at running four 8's in my buddy's Dodge.

I was going to use the Alphasonik shallows, but I managed to find enough room to use the Polk Audio MM 10" instead of the shallow. The MM 10" is only 4.5" deep and uses very little air for a sealed setup.

utee05 07-05-2012 12:14 PM

In my setup I ended up going with some Alpine 8" subs. I got a SWR-843D sub and looking to get another one so each will go underneath the passenger and driver. These subs are only 4.5" deep and can fit in a 0.4cuft sealed enclosure. Also they only take about 200W RMS power.

tubbedII 07-05-2012 12:25 PM

How'd that polk sound, jimmydean? I was contemplating them for the Blazer, but have decided on a set of Sundowns instead.

jimmydean 07-05-2012 12:37 PM

They aren't as good as the older version I used in my Toyota (two 8's in there), but still one of my favorite subs all around. Good power, solid bass, great for tight spaces and a good price.

At .75ft3 per 10, it's a nice fit behind my Caddy seats. Still waiting on my amp purchase before building anything more at this point. :(

tubbedII 07-05-2012 12:42 PM

I know the feeling! I have the amp for the Blazer, just need to rack up some $$$ for the speaker purchase...

What amp are you going with?

Billett 07-05-2012 01:47 PM

Sundowns are fantastic subs. Even the 8" ones can hang in with some of the better name brand 12"s. Unfortunately Sundown doesn't make any shallow ones to my knowledge. Fi is arguable one of the best brands out there right now for subs but they will definitely cost you. I'd rate polk above alpine/pioneer but Fi quality. Whatever you do do NOT under any circumstances waste your money on a set of sonys... Right now the best shallow mount out there is the JL 13tw5-3. A friend of mine has one in the trunk of his Camaro and I have to say it is a bit better quality than the pair of 12" full size JLs that I have. Unfortunately it also costs a bit more :(

Not trying to bad mouth the subs you guys bought just giving out my opinion. As far as setup, as long as you keep in mind the ft^3 that the speaker needs in a box almost anything can sound good with a well built box. A lot of people I meet think that they need the biggest subs with the highest max output, when really this sub is just going in a truck cab. 10" max is all you really need when the speaker is bumping 6" under your a$$ in a small cab. max watts mean nothing, RMS is more important. Expensive speakers still sound like crap if you put them in too small of a box, and my biggest pet peeve is quality. What good is a loud subwoofer if it is so distorted you can't even hear the lyrics of your music through the garbage!

again not trying to degrade anything you guys bought. As long as it isn't sony its fine with me, I just get a little riled up over bad sound system advice so I'm trying to preemptively give good advice haha

sorry about that /rant.

ProStreet68SB 07-05-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt R (Post 5400206)
The pioneer stuff looks pretty good. You could also do some Tang Band woofers from parts-express.com or some Dayton audio shallow woofers. I've used several Tang Band products, they are very good for the price especially.

Matt

Tang Band 8s are great! they are pretty deep for an 8 though. I had 4 in a T-Line in my mazda b2200. I could do 146.1 at 43hz on 600RMS.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubbedII (Post 5416585)
Really?! That's bad news...I liked this line a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy72blu (Post 5424063)
Thats too bad. I actually met the owner a few times here in Las Vegas. Very passionate guys who took a lot of pride in their work. They were the "in" thing several years back.

I still have a few of their 8" and 12" woofers that sound like 12's and 15's respectively.

David who used to own RE now owns PSI car audio as well as fix my speaker.

dliving69 07-08-2012 05:41 AM

I recently put a 10 Kicker CVT in my truck which is a slim line sub in the slim box made for it bye KICKER. and it shakes my truck with 300 watts.