The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New mufflers choice (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810446)

OregonNed 08-12-2020 02:47 PM

New mufflers choice

I'm going to make the move to better, less loud mufflers on my truck. When it comes to a choice, how does the Dynomax Super Turbo compare to an equivalent Magnaflow? I'm having it done by a shop - still waiting to see which, if not both brands are available for install. I know for sure Magnaflows are listed on their webpage as an option. Thank you

tdangle 08-12-2020 02:58 PM

Re: New mufflers choice

I have 2 1/2" dynomax mufflers on mine with tailpipes exiting at the rear under the bumper. Still fairly loud but sounds great. I've actually been thinking about this, maybe a stock type muffler such as what comes on challengers with the big hemi's. They are fairly quiet but still allow almost 500 hp.

Ziegelsteinfaust 08-12-2020 03:13 PM

Exhaust/engine total noise is directly tied to compression. Either static or dynamic. This gives off the hard thump or snap.

Certain types of mufflers like Flowmaster accentuate the sound, and make it more apparent. Which is why they are a popular muffler.

Magnaflow or Borlas in long cases actually quell exhaust better with less hp/tq loss. Add in a shorter muffler or resonator, and you can have a very quiet car or Burb. Yet still have a nice sound when you goose it.

Non the less case volume has more to do with sound attenuation as a general statement. So depending on how much sound you want to loose I would start with either larger mufflers, and or adding resonators near the tips. Both increase volume of the system.

OregonNed 08-12-2020 04:41 PM

Thanks for the replies.. I'm definitely wanting it to be quieter at idle, with a nice aggressive sound under throttle. My '66 was like that. Being so loud gets tiring on long drives..

Stover93 08-12-2020 04:50 PM

Keep us posted on your results. I'm getting ready to install exhaust on my project soon. Thanks

Already Gone 08-12-2020 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wish I could post video of mine running on here. I have Dynomax Super Turbos and wanted the same sound as you ,quiet at idle and open p at acceleration and nice purr when driving. If you want to PM me an email address or a cell number i'll send the video.

OregonNed 08-12-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8790993)
Wish I could post video of mine running on here. I have Dynomax Super Turbos and wanted the same sound as you ,quiet at idle and open p at acceleration and nice purr when driving. If you want to PM me an email address or a cell number i'll send the video.

Hey thank you, will do.. Ned

OregonNed 08-12-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stover93 (Post 8790960)
Keep us posted on your results. I'm getting ready to install exhaust on my project soon. Thanks

absolutely - I sure will!

Mike C 08-12-2020 07:21 PM

I have the Dynomax 20" case SuperTurbos that used to be called Hemi turbos on my Jimmy. They sound great, don't hurt power and are quiet compared to everything else performance muffler wise.

I like them enough I bought a second set for my short step when the 427 goes in.

70cst 08-13-2020 08:32 AM

I have Spintech

Here is a clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1LXf66LGaY

phlegm 08-13-2020 08:38 AM

I have some flowmaster knockoffs and have been really happy, I know a couple of other people who have the same ones. Sound great, limited drone in the cab, drop it to 2nd and people put their head on a swivel when cruising in town. I was on a budget, but I am happy with the sound. There is a video someplace if your interested.

https://www.amazon.com/TOTALFLOW-515...a-882472867607

MJN 08-13-2020 08:41 AM

I've got the Dynomax Super Turbo's on my K20, 2 1/4 in/out, been on my truck for about 15 years or so and still sound good. Mine exits behind the rear wheels on each side and the larger tips mellowed it out some too so its not snappy under acceleration. Low rumble at idle and quiet while cruising. I have a video of mine at idle too if interested.

brianc636 08-13-2020 04:59 PM

I've ran Dynomax Ultra Flo's in the past and that is what is on my new Sierra with the 6.2. It's not overly loud going down the road but at start up and when you mash the loud pedal, it lets you know it's there. For reference, it's also 3.5" piping in and out with it splitting to 2.75" duals over the axle.

OregonNed 08-14-2020 07:53 PM

I called and set up an appt next week for DynoMax Super Turbos. Will report back after the install. I’m running before and after decibel tests to see how it pans out.