The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Came across this... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=800226)

Classic v6 GMC's 05-31-2020 02:40 AM

Re: Came across this...

5 Attachment(s)
The family still hasn't found the keys so I had to climb through the back window to unlock the door but what neat stuff inside! Everything is just like it was when they parked it. Everything is inside including the snake bite kit, rifle cleaning kit, games and petrified toilet paper lol

KevinK7 05-31-2020 07:29 AM

First, a HUGE congrats on getting that truck, that is amazing :)

The story behind it is priceless along with all the 'trinkets' still inside the truck, ...and the original condition is unreal.
How cool is it, when you can sit behind the wheel and just imagine where the Young (at the time) couple had taken it.
A really neat truck, please keep the pics coming and keep us posted ;)

Classic v6 GMC's 06-01-2020 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK7 (Post 8749321)
First, a HUGE congrats on getting that truck, that is amazing :)

The story behind it is priceless along with all the 'trinkets' still inside the truck, ...and the original condition is unreal.
How cool is it, when you can sit behind the wheel and just imagine where the Young (at the time) couple had taken it.
A really neat truck, please keep the pics coming and keep us posted ;)

Thank you, it is really neat that it has everything still inside! Just owning it as a piece of history is awesome let alone the truck!

Classic v6 GMC's 06-01-2020 01:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got the chance to cut the chain locking the hood shut today! Very nice to see the original engine and mostly intact. I guess he felt the need for the "super high performance dual air filter" and "addon dual snorkel" 😉

Happy_dan 06-01-2020 06:52 AM

Great story!

weim55 06-01-2020 02:09 PM

Gosh, I can’t help but wonder if he painted the truck gold when it was near new? Is the red underneath all that unmolested? I’ve never done it, what if the gold was sanded off to the original red?

Steve weim55 Colorado

KevinK7 06-01-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's (Post 8749814)
I got the chance to cut the chain locking the hood shut today! Very nice to see the original engine and mostly intact. I guess he felt the need for the "super high performance dual air filter" and "addon dual snorkel" 😉

...that, ...and the pillow in front of the radiator :), ...for those long hauls when you just don't know when you might need to pull over for a nap lol
Joking of course, but either he really was trying his best to seal the thing up, or their last trip was in a cold area.
SO so cool to see all the original stuff on this truck...

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 06-01-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's (Post 8680892)
Well after weeks of research and stopping numerous times I finally got to meet the 83 year old gentleman that bought this 67 when it was new or very close. He bought it as a chassis Cab and sent it from Arizona all the way Illinois to a "Long Bar Coach Company" who built the bed custom for him and also built/installed the oversized coach. He and his wife drove this all over the west coast and to every camping spot and lake when they were young. This was there home on wheels, it has everything. He built the awning on the rear and added a deck on the roof so the could sit up there. He was in the pest control business and would take his equipment around them and they would buy/sell jewelry in there travels along with other jobs.. His wife even drove this coach to work at Motorola for a while. This truck was there life when they were young.
He has over an acre of stuff, campers/trailers/cars and trucks and he says he wants to let most of it go. I chatted with him for a couple hours and he said the 327 runs great and has lots of power even loaded down.

What an awesome life & story. And quite the rig too, big congrats. I've always heard a little 327 was big on power, that must weigh above 7K dry.

RenoKeene 06-01-2020 03:33 PM

So glad it went to a real good home. I would have loved to own that one.
Take good care of it. I know you will.

68Gold/white 06-01-2020 06:50 PM

LOL, I like that Dixie cup dispenser!!!

Classic v6 GMC's 06-02-2020 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_dan (Post 8749828)
Great story!

😊
Quote:

Originally Posted by weim55 (Post 8750069)
Gosh, I can’t help but wonder if he painted the truck gold when it was near new? Is the red underneath all that unmolested? I’ve never done it, what if the gold was sanded off to the original red?

Steve weim55 Colorado

I think that he probably painted it when the bed was put on so I think it would probably have been pretty early on. I had the same thought about getting back down to the red paint but don't know if it would be possible. The more I look at the bed and camper I can really see that they were built for each other. He said he had the bed and camper put on so I wonder what the truck was used for before he got it

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK7 (Post 8750083)
...that, ...and the pillow in front of the radiator :), ...for those long hauls when you just don't know when you might need to pull over for a nap lol
Joking of course, but either he really was trying his best to seal the thing up, or their last trip was in a cold area.
SO so cool to see all the original stuff on this truck...

lol I was thinking the same thing! His brother said that he had it parked up north for about a week in snowy weather and the truck sank to the frame rails and he couldn't get it out... a suburban pulled up and was able to pull it out, maybe that was the time he took it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8750100)
What an awesome life & story. And quite the rig too, big congrats. I've always heard a little 327 was big on power, that must weigh above 7K dry.

Thank you and it really is, glad I got to meet him and get the history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenoKeene (Post 8750145)
So glad it went to a real good home. I would have loved to own that one.
Take good care of it. I know you will.

Thank you, it is the coolest Chevy truck we have ever had!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Gold/white (Post 8750222)
LOL, I like that Dixie cup dispenser!!!

Lol there is a toothpick dispensers as well! Everything you needed to live in and more

54blackhornet 06-02-2020 11:48 AM

This is like finding and opening the “Arc Of The Covenant “ ! Congratulations on your perseverance...:metal:

KevinK7 06-02-2020 12:36 PM

I keep coming back to look at this cool truck :)
Just noticed the mirror brackets. The 'fly-swatter' type bracket used with the larger mirrors...

https://photos.imageevent.com/hvclas...or_CloseUp.JPG

Classic v6 GMC's 06-05-2020 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54blackhornet (Post 8750568)
This is like finding and opening the “Arc Of The Covenant “ ! Congratulations on your perseverance...:metal:

Thanks, it's been a fun ride!
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK7 (Post 8750590)
I keep coming back to look at this cool truck :)
Just noticed the mirror brackets. The 'fly-swatter' type bracket used with the larger mirrors..

Every time I look at this truck I find more stuff! The mirror brackets are very unique, he must have replaced the mirrors at some point but I'm glad he left the brackets

Classic v6 GMC's 06-05-2020 01:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Spent the evening pulling removing some stuff from the dash/window coverings and pulled the air cleaner.
Looks like someone added cruise control from a Chrysler at some point. It's a Perfect circle like Chevrolet used so that's kind of neat. Not a bad installation job.
I pulled the oil stick and was very impressed to see like new oil and at the top of the full mark.

Classic v6 GMC's 06-05-2020 02:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
all the cardboard and paper on dash preserved everything very well

KevinK7 06-05-2020 07:15 AM

Thanks for posting pics, very cool stuff :)

Post#66, photo #4, what is the knob left of ash tray?

Classic v6 GMC's 06-06-2020 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK7 (Post 8752228)
Thanks for posting pics, very cool stuff :)

Post#66, photo #4, what is the knob left of ash tray?

Happy to share the pictures!
The knob is for the cruise control

Classic v6 GMC's 06-10-2020 12:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was able to pull all the bed box doors and found some cool stuff!

Classic v6 GMC's 06-10-2020 12:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Everything was still in it ready to go on the next trip

Classic v6 GMC's 06-10-2020 01:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have unbolted the coach and jacked up the truck, blocked up the camper from the lift points and let the truck down so we have seperation. Probably going to pull the truck out from underneath of it sometime later this week or Saturday. I have pulled most of the good stuff out and I think I have someone who is going to take it away... I hate to get rid of it but the roof and walls are all completely rotted :/

Classic v6 GMC's 06-10-2020 01:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
On a positive note I gave the hood and front of the truck a little bath which removed some of the saddle/gold paint revealing the original red paint!

One of the coolest things I have found is this..

68Gold/white 06-10-2020 03:07 PM

Don't let that emblem of the hunter, on the back of the camper, go with it, that looks cool!!!

A member on my Pontiac website, is an engineer. He's now retired. Told a story of how farmers used to drain the crankcases of their tractors in the winter. They' put the oil in large glass containers. The sediment would fall to the bottom. They'd siphon off the clear oil and put it back in the tractor, and top it off with new oil (yes, this was a LONG time ago!!!) BUT, I was wondering about the same situation with your 327 in this awesome pickup???

Carry on!!!

Thanks for sharing, can't wait for next installment!!!

Custom 68 06-10-2020 03:42 PM

Wow it is like opening a time capsule with all the stuff you are digging out.

Classic v6 GMC's 06-20-2020 01:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Always wanted a service truck, camper/coach has gone to a new owner
After looking the bed over I believe the truck had a previous life as a service truck or something. The camper had been built specific for the large wheel wells in the bed and the bed has a few areas with some large holes drilled that had been taped over before the camper was installed.