The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Came across this... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=800226)

Classic v6 GMC's 06-20-2020 01:57 AM

Re: Came across this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Gold/white (Post 8755235)
Don't let that emblem of the hunter, on the back of the camper, go with it, that looks cool!!!

A member on my Pontiac website, is an engineer. He's now retired. Told a story of how farmers used to drain the crankcases of their tractors in the winter. They' put the oil in large glass containers. The sediment would fall to the bottom. They'd siphon off the clear oil and put it back in the tractor, and top it off with new oil (yes, this was a LONG time ago!!!) BUT, I was wondering about the same situation with your 327 in this awesome pickup???

Carry on!!!

Thanks for sharing, can't wait for next installment!!!

I wish I could have saved the hunter decal off the back of the camper but I didn't want to cut a hole in it.
That very well could be about the oil, but I won't know until I drain it. I have some other unique stuff I'm going to post tomorrow that was very interesting.
I will keep you updated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Custom 68 (Post 8755258)
Wow it is like opening a time capsule with all the stuff you are digging out.

It really is! I will have to share the other time capsules.. they are really cool as well

HO455 06-20-2020 12:52 PM

Thanks for sharing all of this. I love these kinds of treasure hunts, however the old lady doesn't so I only get to do it vicariously. :lol: That service box certainly seem not to to be an off the shelf model. Maybe it was a lube and fuel truck with a set of tanks in the bed.

Classic v6 GMC's 07-12-2020 12:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I have been busy working away. First things first, I found some information on who owned the truck and what it was originally used for. Hiding above the visor was this registration holder and inside was one of the last registrations (1981), a few of the last gas receipts from shell stations and best of all at the very back was the "Application for Arizona Title and registration". It's dated 11/24/1969 and the truck was purchased from Cialoni Marine Service in Crystal Lake Illinois.
Not sure how the previous owner came across the truck all the way in Illinois but it lines up with him sending the truck to the Lombard coach company located in Illinois. He might have had the coach installed before the truck came to Arizona.

KevinK7 07-12-2020 07:55 AM

Very cool on the documents :)
Just really neat finding the history of these trucks for sure :)

Ol Blue K20 07-12-2020 08:55 AM

That's some cool find/info.

toolboxchev 07-12-2020 10:46 AM

Great Story and Great Find.

Keep up posted as to your plans and finds!

54blackhornet 07-12-2020 12:21 PM

Man what a post ! Congratulations this is the most interesting vehicle I have seen in a long time..:metal:..America ingenuity at it’s finest.

Classic v6 GMC's 07-12-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinK7 (Post 8773132)
Very cool on the documents :)
Just really neat finding the history of these trucks for sure :)

That's for sure!! Every truck has a story!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8773159)
That's some cool find/info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolboxchev (Post 8773212)
Great Story and Great Find.
Keep up posted as to your plans and finds!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54blackhornet (Post 8773274)
Man what a post ! Congratulations this is the most interesting vehicle I have seen in a long time..:metal:..America ingenuity at it’s finest.

Thank you! I will keep the posts coming. It's a special truck

Classic v6 GMC's 07-12-2020 09:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So I purchased all the parts to give the truck oil change and tune up. After sitting for almost 40 years I figured it would need a new distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, plug wires and spark plugs. Started by spraying down the engine with degreaser and rinsing it off. Looks better.
Next up I pulled the oil plug and out came what looks like brand new Lucas or a mix of it and STP. Wish I would have drained it into a cleaner pan so I could get a picture of just how clean it was. Very intrigued, I pulled the old rotten belden plug wires and the spark plugs. All the plugs are clean with good plug gaps but I went ahead and put in the set of new AC Delco plugs. Pulled the distributor cap and inside looked like brand new, the distributor cap is an original delco. Put the cap back on and installed the new plug wires. Installed a new oil filter and filled it up with new oil and a can of CD2 oil additive (more on oils/additives in a future post). Set a good battery in and hooked up the cables. I ran a fuel line from a gas can tothe fuel pump and time for the moment of truth.
Cranked the truck over a couple times and then poured a little gas down the carb and she fired up and ran for almost 10 seconds. Poured some more fuel in the carb and she ran for 10 more. And then the fuel pump started leaking so pulled the fuel line and hooked up my little electric fuel pump and turned it on. Poured some more gas down the carb and she fired right up and runs great! Let her run for close to 3 minutes and she idles perfect and is a smooth as any of the engines we have rebuilt. Honestly I never thought it would run that good!

68bowtie 07-12-2020 09:22 PM

She’s alive!! That’s great news.

Classic v6 GMC's 07-12-2020 09:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next up will be replacing the fuel pump, the thermostat housing, all the hoses and probably the water pump. It needs the coolant passages and radiator flushed because they seem to have some garbage/corrosion build up in them.
It was 113 here today and could only spend about two hours outside. Hope it cools down before I can spend some more time on it

Ol Blue K20 07-12-2020 10:10 PM

I'm glad to hear that it's showing some life! AWESOME! KEEP TRYING!

Classic v6 GMC's 07-12-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 8773512)
She’s alive!! That’s great news.

Yes, it is!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8773538)
I'm glad to hear that it's showing some life! AWESOME! KEEP TRYING!

Me too. You never know what to expect on classic vehicles and especially one that sat for many years.

Slowly going to get it back on the road!
Lots of parts coming

Classic v6 GMC's 07-13-2020 12:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
So the family is continuing to clear out his house and all the vehicles and they asked if we wanted any oil and other automotive stuff in this large cabinet outside under the open carport and we opened it up and hauled 4 large tubs full of oils, oil additives, fuel additives and lots of others stuff home. They didn't even know where to "git rid of it".
How many remember "Slick 50", "CD2" or these others?

Classic v6 GMC's 07-13-2020 01:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More

Classic v6 GMC's 07-13-2020 01:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more, I'm going to be busy pouring these in everything

1971 GMC SHORTY 07-13-2020 01:49 AM

Wow What a Incredible Time Capsule

Happy_dan 07-13-2020 06:30 AM

Such a cool story and the hits just keep coming!

Ol Blue K20 07-13-2020 08:41 AM

Some cool stuff....

68Gold/white 07-13-2020 08:58 AM

I wouldn't put that Slick 50 oil treatment crap in ANYTHING!!! I've seen it make a bad running engine, worse off!!!

SCHRUMGMC 07-13-2020 10:56 AM

Time capsule indeed, very neat and cool

1971Stepside 07-13-2020 11:22 AM

I just went through this whole thread. This is just as cool as it gets. What a find and story.

tristan 07-13-2020 11:42 AM

Please let me know if he has a highly optioned SWB K10 hibernating somewhere on his lot. :-)

Classic v6 GMC's 07-13-2020 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971 GMC SHORTY (Post 8773642)
Wow What a Incredible Time Capsule

It really is! Not many left out there. These are my favorite finds.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_dan (Post 8773665)
Such a cool story and the hits just keep coming!

So much history!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8773698)
Some cool stuff....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC (Post 8773767)
Time capsule indeed, very neat and cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8773782)
I just went through this whole thread. This is just as cool as it gets. What a find and story.

Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by tristan (Post 8773790)
Please let me know if he has a highly optioned SWB K10 hibernating somewhere on his lot. :-)

I wish, I have walked the lot and unfortunately none of those lol

Classic v6 GMC's 07-13-2020 11:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So me and my dad went back a couple weeks ago so and ended buying these as well.... not 67-72 but all have history and all were taken care of as well
Start with the suburban that is exceptional inside and out