The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Best Fuel filter location (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=818811)

rayce88 02-25-2021 01:54 PM

Best Fuel filter location

Pretty simple question ....67 c10 ... bout to plumb my fuel system .... return style 5.3 ... in tank pump ... tank mounted in rear ... where is the best place for the fuel filter ? .... I was thinking the obvious places like frame rail or the cross bar right behind the rear axle ...

bigmoe 02-25-2021 04:01 PM

Re: Best Fuel filter location

1 Attachment(s)
I went on the inside of passenger side frame rail just forward of the axle. Really anywhere along the fuel line route that's accessible in the future for filter changes. And maybe away from where road dirt might hit it. In this pic I've got paper towel under it to check for leaks on first power up.

rayce88 02-25-2021 04:36 PM

Thanks bigmoe .... that’s about where I was thinking ... just the other side for me ...
Posted via Mobile Device

mongocanfly 02-25-2021 07:30 PM

I was advised to keep it and the inline pump as close to the tank as possible...not sure what difference it would make..

ls1nova71 02-25-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8885404)
I was advised to keep it and the inline pump as close to the tank as possible...not sure what difference it would make..

In line pumps need to be as close to the tank as possible because electric fuel pumps don't like to pull fuel, they're designed to push it, but the filter can go anywhere. GM even used to bolt them to the back of the engine in the old 2.5 Iron Duke days.

I have mine mounted on the straight part of the frame directly under the cab, so that the exhaust isn't in the way when you need to change it.

kipps 02-25-2021 08:54 PM

I would also suggest avoiding interference with the mufflers. If you have single exhaust, run the fuel line down the opposite side. If you have dual exhaust, position the fuel filters either in front of or behind the mufflers. This is purely for ease of access.

Many of us have cussed out the OEM engineers for the gymnastics they make us go through to service our vehicles. Here's your chance to adequately plan ahead, and avoid those frustrating situations.

LS short box 02-25-2021 11:49 PM

As suggested above mine is behind the muffler on the left hand frame rail. I don't care for self taping screws so I use a 1/4" bolt to hold the FPR to the frame rail in case you have to replace it in the future.

A1971Blazer 02-26-2021 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I located mine in the frame rail toward the front
Aeromotive with replaceable element..just remove the flexible line and the filter cap to replace the element.
should be easily accessible
it's further from the exhaust pipe than it looks in the picture
Attachment 2084271

racecougar 03-02-2021 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put mine on the driver side frame rail with the alcohol sensor.