The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Heads Up Warning!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=110796)

silvertonguedevil 07-06-2004 03:45 PM

Heads Up Warning!!!

I just wanted to let everybody know there are additions to the Nigeria scams that are going on. I don't know if anyone here has experienced any of this or not but I was selling a car on ebay. I recieved an email from a guy that stated that he was a "car locator". People would come to him to find cars. His "client" lived in Nigeria. He had told me that his "client" was interested in the car that I had listed. He wanted to purchase it but wanted to make sure he could trust me. He told me that he would be sending a cashiers check or money order for the full balance for the car, his finding fees and the money that would be necessary to ship the car the Nigeria. I would need to cash the check, hold out my purchase price and then wire the excess money via Western Union. I received the cashiers check today and something just didn't feel right. I was also warned by other board members about this. I called the bank that the check came from (Southern Bank out of North Carolina) and they stated there were over 200 of these fraudulent checks they were working on. Luckily, no merchandise or money exchanged hands. But the only other thing that kinda sucks is these sh!theads have my home address and cell phone numbers. Kinda freaks me out. Anyway, just watch for anything even close to this. You never know. I was almost had. Just a heads up!!

71swb4x4 07-06-2004 03:53 PM

Wow, glad you caught it before you sent the money!

boraxman 07-06-2004 03:55 PM

I wont sell anything till the cash is in my hand. Checks, money orders are fine but they will clear before anything is handed over.

vtblazer 07-06-2004 04:06 PM

Scam

Yeh, get this.
When I first contacted the owner of the 70 swb I just bought, they told me it had been sold and was being shipped to Nigeria. Then after 1-1/2 weeks I got an e-mail saying it was still for sale because they hadn't heard anything from the guy and was I still interested...same scam I'm sure!
The jerks almost got my truck :eek:

silvertonguedevil 07-06-2004 04:10 PM

Yup, sounds like the same kind of deal.

toddtheodd 07-06-2004 04:45 PM

Note to self: Ignore EVERYTHING from Nigeria.
OK, got it. ;)

LUV2XCLR8 07-06-2004 05:11 PM

NIGERIA :confused: , WTF WOULD THEY DO WITH OUR TRUCKS THERE :crazy:

Cat Fuzz 07-06-2004 08:34 PM

The point of the scam is not to steal a vehicle. You cash the fake check and then wire the cash back to them before you find out that the check is fake. They never intend to receive a vehicle.

silvertonguedevil 07-06-2004 08:53 PM

Right, they never had any intention of taking the car. They just wanted the excess funds sent to them.

BIG ORANGE 07-06-2004 09:25 PM

Heck send them a fake check!!!!! lol,lol

3rdGenrationChevyman 07-06-2004 09:33 PM

nigeria... maybe they would wanna make a tank out of an ol chevy... :metal: hey longhair?? what do you think a 67-72 1/2 ton chevy tank would look like? :lol:

Lippyp 07-07-2004 05:14 AM

The same scams are operating here in the UK. I'm currently trying to sell my wifes 01 Jeep Cherokee (Liberty to you!) and so far all I've had are canvassers and scam artists call me. Got to sell the damn thing before the next finance payment is due as she already has her new company car (04 Landrover Freelander)

jlmtrout 07-07-2004 06:01 AM

Thanks for the heads up silvertoungedevil. Every bit of knowledge or experience is appreciated. We all have to stick together and help each other whenever we can. If we don't our trucks will surely fade away to a distant memory. Again, thanks for the 411. Good luck and keep on truckin'.....Jerry

ChevLoRay 07-07-2004 10:44 AM

Ditto for anyone from Indonesia wanting to make the purchase and put it on a credit card! My brother-in-law had his '90 Harley on Ebay. A "buyer" in Indonesia wanted to put the purchase and shipping charges on his credit card, after hitting the "Buy it Now" button. Bro did some investigation and was informed that a large business exists in Indonesia in stolen credit card numbers.

Back in the early '80's, there was a thing called "Car Locators". They "sold" the rights to others for $100. Sounded like a good thing to me, and I bought into it. I don't know if I ever made back my investment...but, don't think I did. Had one person contact me who was looking for a Cadillac that essentially had a good title...didn't matter the condition of the car. I spoke with a friend who ran a wrecker service. He told me that all they were looking for was another vehicle that they could use to legitimize a stolen one that they had.

This "Car Locators" was a clearing house of sorts. If you had a vehicle to sell, they would put out a list (monthly) of cars for sale and cars that were wanted, with phone numbers, addresses, and names. You had to pay a listing fee, but potential buyers got a free shot.

Auto Traders, eBay, etc., have far more resources and are a much better way to perform the same type of deals. I don't miss the hassle of being a "Car Locator".

67chevemall 07-07-2004 10:48 AM

I get these "I have 1 000 000 000 000 000 USD from my dead dad and some is yours if you give me your bank account #" all the time!

Man that stuff bugs me! It is probally sluge slime terrorist looking for stuff to do!
That sucks they got your personal info!!
I would change it all!

72C203503ONTHETREE 07-07-2004 12:11 PM

I just got a few of the UK scammers replies to my 76 BMW 2002 ad that I had posted in a couple internet sites. I sold the car two months ago and still got these replies, lol.

67chevemall 07-07-2004 12:13 PM

76 2002! Nice!

Maximum Overdrive 07-07-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG ORANGE
Heck send them a fake check!!!!! lol,lol

Or send them one of them publisher clearing house checks :lol:

hottweelz67 07-07-2004 04:39 PM

This website has a lot of good advice on how to protect yourself against all the different types of fraud out there.

http://www.scambusters.com/

JoetheMobster 07-07-2004 11:09 PM

Thought you'se might like to take a look at this article!!!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...e29677,00.html

Over 500 Nigerians are busted, and more than $500US million siezed!!!

silvertonguedevil 07-08-2004 11:38 AM

OK, so check THIS out!! After I had realized that the check was fraudulent, I get an email from this a$$clown checking on the status of everything. He was frantic..."What's going on? Did you receive the check? Have you transferred the money?"....So, I email him back saying "the check was fraudulent and there will be no more dealings between us" and I leave it at that. I don't hear from him for approx 24 hours and think that this will blow over because he usually would email me back within 1 hour. Then I get this last night. Subject reads...."CONFIDENTIAL".....

CAN WE MAKE A DEAL??? I AM FROM AFRICA...HOME OF FRAUD... I CAN MAKE BOGUS/ FAKE CASHIERS CHECK OUT HERE IN AFRICA.I CAN SEND TEH CHECKS TO YOU FOR YOU TO CASH.TEH CASHIERS CHECK WILL BE IN THE AMOUNT OF JUST $2000 WHICH IS CASHABLE INSTANTLY AT THE NEAREST CASHING POINTS.WE ARE GOING TO MAKE THIS DEAL A 50%-50%.OKAY?

WILL YOU BE DOING THIS OR ARE YOU INTERESTED? IF I SEND YOU A $2000 CHECK IN 10 PLACES THIS MONTH,YOU WOULD GET A SUM OF $20,000 FROM THE 10 CHECK,YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SEND A SUM OF $10000 TO ME IN AFRICA VIA WESTERN UNION..CAN I TRUST YOU OVER MY MONEY? LETS MAKE A DEAL.....

THIS IS EASIER AND SAFER BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR BANK.OKAY?

HOW CAN WE START??? IF YOU ARE INTERESTED..LETS MAKE A DEAL FAST AND SEND ME AN EMAILS ASAP.

silvertonguedevil 07-08-2004 11:39 AM

whaddya think of that one?

Primed67 07-08-2004 11:43 AM

Did you explain the situation to your bank when you took them the money order? If so then I would call them and talk to the frauds dept. I don't know if they would do anything but you would think they would like to track the people down that are passing the bad money orders.

Jeepster376 07-08-2004 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoetheMobster
Thought you'se might like to take a look at this article!!!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...e29677,00.html

Over 500 Nigerians are busted, and more than $500US million siezed!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Austrailian
Victims of the scam have lost tens of thousands of dollars, and in some cases been attacked and robbed.

Yikes

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Austrailian
The cash never materialises and the scammer eventually disappears into thin air. In some cases, victims are lured into a trap, kidnapped and held hostage for ransom.

Double Yikes