The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fuel Injection for my 454 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=516653)

87Lowrider 03-27-2012 08:37 PM

Fuel Injection for my 454

I'm considering fuel injection for the '87Lowrider.

The motor is a '76 454 with a stock rotating assy, good size cam, rebuilt heads and a host of other items. It's got about 8500 miles on it.

I'd like not to have to take out a loan to do this and don't see much here on the forum where others have already done this...

I've thought about holley and remember seeing other FI options on powerblock but haven't done much research yet.

Anyone know what my options are?

Thanks in advance!!

SCOTI 03-27-2012 10:56 PM

Re: Fuel Injection for my 454

Holley
Edelbrock
Fast EZ EFI
MSD
Megasquirt/DIY
OE GM TBI

87Lowrider 03-28-2012 07:11 PM

That's quite a list... thanks!

I've already started checking out some of them... $3k-$5k for a complete system.

snj8198 03-28-2012 07:23 PM

Keep an eye out for quality used systems if you want to save a bit.

SSC's76 03-28-2012 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I seen a slick TBI system in summit the other day $1600 the cool thing was it was fitted into a Holley carb body sensors were mounted into the fuel bowls. Kinda a cool system. PFS-70026

Captainfab 03-28-2012 11:38 PM

Yep, that's the Professional Products TBI injection. Professional Products are made in China......need I say more?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSC's76 (Post 5280786)
I seen a slick TBI system in summit the other day $1600 the cool thing was it was fitted into a Holley carb body sensors were mounted into the fuel bowls. Kinda a cool system. PFS-70026

woodwright 03-29-2012 12:45 AM

If you're resourceful, you should look into the Megasquirt. Its not plug and play, but you have alot more options. You can get the ECU for as little as $150, and you build the mechanical stuff out of Junkyard parts, or order all off the shelf parts. The Megasquirt forum is very helpful, although its kind of information overload. I Have an MS-II ECU that I'm hoping to eventually use on an LS motor.

BigDan3131 03-29-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5281260)
Yep, that's the Professional Products TBI injection. Professional Products are made in China......need I say more?

Actually you could.

That system works quite well for the price. I have setup a few of them, one for 383 making a dyno'd 450hp and the other a 650hp 427 BBC. Both run perfectly fine.

Besides just because something has Made In The USA on it doesn't mean the parts weren't made elsewhere and put together here.

Captainfab 03-30-2012 12:19 AM

What few Professional Products parts I have had my hands on were of less that acceptable quality IMO. Granted, I have not touched their injection system, but I really don't think I would waste my money on one, knowing it is made entirely in China, and with my past experience with their products.

And I do understand that not every component in a 'Made in USA' product is made in the USA. But I would rather spend my money with a company that is based in the USA, and that stands behind their products should a problem arise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDan3131 (Post 5281510)
Actually you could.

That system works quite well for the price. I have setup a few of them, one for 383 making a dyno'd 450hp and the other a 650hp 427 BBC. Both run perfectly fine.

Besides just because something has Made In The USA on it doesn't mean the parts weren't made elsewhere and put together here.

snj8198 03-30-2012 10:24 AM

Humbly, I have Edelbrock's first and second gen Pro Flo series experience. I have no dyno experience, only 6 years of shade tree set up and diagnostic experience. I have found that the Pro Flo is an expensive but decent multi-port full management system. But I had issues with their ignition system (their fault), electrical (my fault), and fuel system (both). If I had an option I would go with a stand alone ignition system over a full management system.

-steve

87Lowrider 03-30-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snj8198 (Post 5283769)
Humbly, I have Edelbrock's first and second gen Pro Flo series experience. I have no dyno experience, only 6 years of shade tree set up and diagnostic experience. I have found that the Pro Flo is an expensive but decent multi-port full management system. But I had issues with their ignition system (their fault), electrical (my fault), and fuel system (both). If I had an option I would go with a stand alone ignition system over a full management system.

-steve

I've put quite a bit of money into the top end of the motor with rebuilt heads, cam and carb. I also installed MSDs Pro Billet Dizzy and ignition w/ HVC regulator. I've seen some systems that are fuel management and assume you can use your own ignition system. I don't have enough research in yet to know the ins and outs of mixed matched systems but I'll keep reading...

Thanks for all the thoughts guys... you're always the best!!

storm9c1 03-30-2012 02:48 PM

The MSD Atomic EFI is similar to Professional Products TBI. All-in-one EFI system built into the the TB. Good price point too. It will also control timing as well. Made in the USA. And in some cases can be used returnless. The only reason I didn't buy one for my last swap was because they aren't offering a TPS output with it, so I'd have to add an external TPS for an electronic trans, which I think is a stupid hack. I've already asked MSD support to consider including TPS output in a future version.

87Lowrider 03-30-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storm9c1 (Post 5284187)
The MSD Atomic EFI is similar to Professional Products TBI. All-in-one EFI system built into the the TB. Good price point too. It will also control timing as well. Made in the USA. And in some cases can be used returnless. The only reason I didn't buy one for my last swap was because they aren't offering a TPS output with it, so I'd have to add an external TPS for an electronic trans, which I think is a stupid hack. I've already asked MSD support to consider including TPS output in a future version.

cool... thanks for the input!!

85burb 03-30-2012 11:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a fast ez efi on my burb. Love it. Started and ran great at first turn of the key. The master kit with pump and hoses and fittings can be had for under 2000 if you shop around. I got mine price matched from atlanticspeed threw summit. Will never look back.

p.s. I went from 7 mpg with carb to 14 mpg. I suck at tuning carbs.

87Lowrider 04-02-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85burb (Post 5285122)
I have a fast ez efi on my burb. Love it. Started and ran great at first turn of the key. The master kit with pump and hoses and fittings can be had for under 2000 if you shop around. I got mine price matched from atlanticspeed threw summit. Will never look back.

p.s. I went from 7 mpg with carb to 14 mpg. I suck at tuning carbs.

wow.. I'll look into that option some.. my main concern is what I'd will have to change on the motor (cam, existing MSD ignition, heads, intake, etc) to use something like that.

Ken

85burb 04-02-2012 07:40 PM

As long as cam produces 9 inchs of vaccum the efi will work. It is made to bolt on to any motor with a flange for a 4 barral manifold. 4, 6, 8, and maybe 10 cylinders. All it needs is a rpm siganal. That is it. You tell it how many cylinders it has and dipplacement and what idle speed you want and air fuel ratios you want and turn key. Works on my lq4 with a cam.

85burb 04-02-2012 07:41 PM

It does not control the ignition at all. It only needs a rpm input from the msd box. Like the tack signal wire.

Gumby 04-02-2012 08:21 PM

Holley system has to be the best as its turbo/blower/NOS ready, many of the similar system like fast can't do that.
Even if you don't plan on it, the Holley system is ready for anything you can toss at it and it can auto tune it for you.

fast does look cool with the low mounted injectors but can't handle mods.

85burb 04-02-2012 10:03 PM

It cant do forced induction. It can do nos with carefull tuning. That is the only thing i dont like. There is a guy on ls1tech with a procharger but not sure how he is doing it. But it can handle 600 hp single and 1200 with duels. I seen the msd system at goodguys resently and it looks like a great system. It can also control timing which is a nice feature. If i was to buy again i would look at the msd and fast. I dont like the holley because the injectors are above the throttle. Just a fancy tbi in my mind.

Gumby 04-02-2012 10:17 PM

better talk to a Holley tech, it can do forced, in our long talks he even suggested using both a turbo and a little NOS for "cooling" ;) asuring me it will do the majority of the work, so I don't have to be a tune expert.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-...93117/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/558-304/10002/-1

SCOTI 04-03-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85burb (Post 5290959)
It cant do forced induction. It can do nos with carefull tuning. That is the only thing i dont like. There is a guy on ls1tech with a procharger but not sure how he is doing it. But it can handle 600 hp single and 1200 with duels. I seen the msd system at goodguys resently and it looks like a great system. It can also control timing which is a nice feature. If i was to buy again i would look at the msd and fast. I dont like the holley because the injectors are above the throttle. Just a fancy tbi in my mind.

You're not alone in that line of thought....

Gumby 04-03-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 5291305)
You're not alone in that line of thought....

I agree to but after lots of research, others of the same price can't handle as many mods, or it would be faast hands down for the below the plate injectors.

Portmod7 04-03-2012 09:49 AM

I do plan on injecting mine in the future, and I'm convinced that the FAST EZ-EFI is the one for me. The only other one I think I'd consider is the Atomic EFI from MSD, but I have a hard time buying an ignition company's first try at a fuel injection system. Plus, a lot of it's appeal is the returnless fuel system that is accomplished by cycling the fuel pump on and off which I'm sure is not good for the longevity of the pump.

One thing the MSD does really have over the FAST is that it controls timing, and a lot of the injection guys say that is very important. Although, FAST has been around the block a time or two, and I'm sure they have a pretty good handle on things.

My vote is FAST!

jfortvalley 04-03-2012 11:42 AM

ive used a few of the systems mentioned here but by far the one i was happiest with on a 468 big block was the fast xfi

87Lowrider 04-03-2012 01:04 PM

Whew!

Great discussion...

So, it's between Fast, MSD and Holley.

Have any of you had problems with what I'm calling "Vapor Locking".. some say its a myth, I understand the theory and believe that's whats happening to me. I've tried everything I can think of, but when my temp gets over 190 (stop and go driving), I know it won't be long before the engine just fizzles out and I either have to pump it like crazy to get it going above 40-50 for a bit till it clears it throat or sometime it just strands me for a few minutes until it cools off. Then it's fine till the next time. Kinda frustrating considering the money I've put in it.