The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New Asphalt roof installed 39 Square (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851912)

GOPAPA 04-10-2024 05:43 AM

New Asphalt roof installed 39 Square

The crew came at 7:30 am ..took the old shingles off . Installed all new , roof vents , metal roof edging ,vent pipe surrounds ,,,,,,,,,,Got done at 7:30 pm. all cleaned up ..now, today write that big ol check for roofing and work done,,,I had 3 appraises and I took the middle one..

biketopia 04-11-2024 02:44 PM

Re: New Asphalt roof installed 39 Square

Did that last year...except when they stripped the roof they found pretty much all the ply-wood had been installed incorrectly...Soooo that one hurt extra good.

GOPAPA 04-14-2024 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biketopia (Post 9303374)
Did that last year...except when they stripped the roof they found pretty much all the ply-wood had been installed incorrectly...Soooo that one hurt extra good.

I have put a few plywood sheathing roofs on in my past,, how exactly did someone put the plywood on wrong I just gotta ask? Length wise maybe?

Steeveedee 04-14-2024 11:42 AM

Maybe the edges weren't on rafters, in some places? Believe it or not, I've seen guys do drywall like that, not putting the edges on studs or ceiling joists. :dohh:

GOPAPA 04-14-2024 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9304305)
Maybe the edges weren't on rafters, in some places? Believe it or not, I've seen guys do drywall like that, not putting the edges on studs or ceiling joists. :dohh:

Yes ,,during my remodling days i came across a house that had no corner studs ,,just bottom and top plate to fasten the sheetrock to,,

biketopia 04-15-2024 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 9304293)
I have put a few plywood sheathing roofs on in my past,, how exactly did someone put the plywood on wrong I just gotta ask? Length wise maybe?

I believe it was installed without clips.

GOPAPA 04-15-2024 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biketopia (Post 9304639)
I believe it was installed without clips.

Without Clips! ..this makes me feel older all of a sudden ,,cause I sheathed roofs before clips ..back when they advise you to leave a small small gap between sheets . I wonder ?? did the roofer tell the people the roof had no clips and took up the whole sheeted roof and redid it clips ? Not bashing anyone ,,because I do not know the whole story ,, just thinking and posting with a grin on my face

Steeveedee 04-15-2024 10:05 AM

I've sheathed roofs without the clips, but not in over 30 years. I guess as people want to put less and less thought into their work, or hire people and don't tell them why the clips are necessary, this could happen. One would like to think that a licensed contractor would know this.

biketopia 04-15-2024 01:06 PM

I could be mistaken on what the actual issue was, maybe no clips, maybe swollen boards. Either way I fully trust the installer. My Father in-law is the VP of one of the bigger roofing outfits in the Richmond Area and has been doing roofs for over 30 years, he sent his best install crew to do our roof. I wasn't home when it was going on, just getting info that was relayed by him to my wife, then to me. We did get everything at cost and paid a cheaper labor rate than the companies up our way though.

GOPAPA 04-15-2024 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biketopia (Post 9304720)
I could be mistaken on what the actual issue was, maybe no clips, maybe swollen boards. Either way I fully trust the installer. My Father in-law is the VP of one of the bigger roofing outfits in the Richmond Area and has been doing roofs for over 30 years, he sent his best install crew to do our roof. I wasn't home when it was going on, just getting info that was relayed by him to my wife, then to me. We did get everything at cost and paid a cheaper labor rate than the companies up our way though.

I have no doubt the sheathing had to be done .. I was only curious why? Nice to have contacts like that.. better give the wife a kiss ,,and she can kiss the father in law for you for helping you out .:)

biketopia 04-16-2024 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 9304926)
I have no doubt the sheathing had to be done .. I was only curious why? Nice to have contacts like that.. better give the wife a kiss ,,and she can kiss the father in law for you for helping you out .:)

I'm curious too haha, she's been under the weather the past few days. Next time we facetime her folks with their grandbaby I'll ask. I've learned a lot in life, one of the biggest things is it's not always what you know but who you know.

GOPAPA 04-16-2024 08:09 AM

When I took the deal from the contractor to reroof my house , I ask him if I could have the shingles left over from broken into packages so if I could use them on a shed roof I building in my back yard , (for my l lawn mower and tools and snow blower) ,, he told me he would fix me up with some ,, he did alright as he gave me a whole square of shingles plus the underlayment and starter material plus roof edgeing ..the shed roof -is 8x10 ft