The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What did you do to your Blazer/Jimmy today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=624544)

Green Monster 11-20-2019 12:37 PM

Re: What did you do to your Blazer/Jimmy today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ochre1971 (Post 8627451)
@GreenMonster -

I picked up a dozen 2" SS carriage bolts that fit the captured nuts. Ran them through all the nuts in the top and chased any that needed it. Then cut the heads off of the nuts and ground a taper on one end of each. This is the real benefit, being able to easily access each nut while the top is in the air and being able to thread them properly.

Let me know if that explains it sufficiently, or if you were looking for anything else specific.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your setup and provide photos. I agree, the setup in your link is nice would work well with a roll bar.

If I understand this correctly, the carriage bolt is longer than the stock bolts allowing you to get your fingers in to line up the capture nuts. Do you have a photo of the carriage bolt from inside the cab with the top on?

I see you don't have the CST panels on and don't have a roll bar. The roll bar and interior CST panels on make the process of reinstalling the top more challenging.

ochre1971 11-22-2019 10:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
No problem. Here are a few pictures. You could certainly use longer bolts so they'd hang lower and be a little easier to install nuts on if you wanted.
The PO had 6x9's cut into the CST panels and the install was janky. I still have them, but they're in rough shape and I didn't see the need to keep putting them on and off every time I did the top.
I ended up making home-made "panels" that allowed my speaker install, cup holders for the rear seat occupants and storage compartments. It comes in and out pretty quickly with a couple of screws when I'm dealing with the top.
Functional, but I'd make a few tweaks if I did it again.

A roll bar is on my wish list.

Green Monster 11-23-2019 06:22 PM

Ochre1971- thank you for following up with photos. I can see how your setuonis an improvement and makes reinstalling easier. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

PDXk5 11-23-2019 10:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did the tailgate cable mod. It’s a great mod and super easy to do. Nothing permanently modified!

BIG BLOCK JIMMY 11-24-2019 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice, never even thought of that mod. What is the highlighted bracket called?....anyone

DeadheadNM 11-24-2019 11:52 AM

Rear top to bedside brackets. I think these were added after the 1969 model year.

As an aside, the examples painted body color seem associated with Flint assembled K5s whereas St Louis builds were painted white I assume in conjunction with the top.

BIG BLOCK JIMMY 11-24-2019 03:11 PM

Thank you, interesting aside info too

Hagendog 12-04-2019 01:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
In the last two days finished preparing the top and today sprayed the Raptor liner. It’s the tintable and mixed Wimbledon White into it. The color is very similar to the parchment seats. One more coat and it’s done, probably 6 qts to finish.

DeadheadNM 12-04-2019 10:03 PM

How did the hatch turn out?

Hagendog 12-04-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8637661)
How did the hatch turn out?

So far so good. Wanted to fit everything with hardware but ran out of time. I know it fits with the hinges. We’ll see more next week; vacation time

lyrikz 12-05-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar (Post 8577107)
(Actually a couple days ago..) Installed new seats, so my kids have shoulder belts. These are from a 2010 Escalade.

I did the mounting a little different than others. I don't care about the removable rails for the rears, so I removed all of the brackets, which leaves you with seats with nice flat bottoms and flat metal tabs to mount to. I welded a simple metal frame, which reused the legs off the original seats (bolts into the stock mounts in the floor). I have amplifiers under the seat that I wanted clearance for. The Drivers side also only used the seat, stripped of all the factory frame, and then mounted pretty easily to my pre-existing sliders. The passenger seat kept the flip/fold base from the Cadillac, it's nice and flips up like it was meant for the Jimmy.

What sliders did you use?? What are your pre existing sliders...

Austinjay 12-10-2019 11:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Did some raptor liner and painted the inner side panels on my 70 Blazer. I love that factory color. Napa paints did a great job matching it.

raggedjim 12-10-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austinjay (Post 8640680)
Did some raptor liner and painted the inner side panels on my 70 Blazer. I love that factory color. Napa paints did a great job matching it.

Very nice! Rg

mortoyz 12-10-2019 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Went by the shop today, getting some color on 1972 factory 2wd Jimmy. Decided to go with Terrace Blue.

Ptjsk 12-23-2019 12:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Final buttoning up on the motor and started it up (sounds incredible).

Also, final assembly on with the hood. Had to adjust and move things around to finally get all lines and gaps correct.

Have to wait until spring to complete the paint on the doors and bed portion. Until then, it's ready to go!

Turned out darned good though,

Pat

Hagendog 12-23-2019 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the top on minus the hatch and I’m happy with the way it turned out. Now have to do some adjustments since the windows aren’t really lining up with the seals. Learned a lot about fabrication and assembly on this build. Always fit everything prior to paint 🤘🏻 The hatch looks good though I’m not using the original glass; too many flaws/scratches. New one will be in this week, using the stock side hopefully Get to tint and final assembly

Ptjsk 12-23-2019 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagendog (Post 8647524)
Got the top on minus the hatch and I’m happy with the way it turned out. Now have to do some adjustments since the windows aren’t really lining up with the seals. Learned a lot about fabrication and assembly on this build. Always fit everything prior to paint 🤘🏻 The hatch looks good though I’m not using the original glass; too many flaws/scratches. New one will be in this week, using the stock side hopefully Get to tint and final assembly

That is one beautiful Blazer Bud!

Did you purchase it pretty much done, or did you do a lot of the work to it?

Again....looks great!

Pat

Spf79 12-23-2019 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptjsk (Post 8647494)
Final buttoning up on the motor and started it up (sounds incredible).

Also, final assembly on with the hood. Had to adjust and move things around to finally get all lines and gaps correct.

Have to wait until spring to complete the paint on the doors and bed portion. Until then, it's ready to go!

Turned out darned good though,

Pat

Looks amazing!! I'm jealous!

Spf79 12-23-2019 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagendog (Post 8647524)

Looks great! I love the stance, what is the lift/wheels/tire combo???

Spf79 12-23-2019 02:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got my rear swaybar mocked in place. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be, I totally struggled, lol - it would have been so much easier with two people. I just need to take it apart and have the brackets powder coated before final assembly. Don't mind the dinosaur blanket that is on the dog's kennel. I'm still trying to figure out the nuts and acorn nuts on the link, I think it looks funny.

simicrintz 12-23-2019 11:19 AM

Great looking rigs, gentlemen!!

Hagendog 12-23-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptjsk (Post 8647529)
That is one beautiful Blazer Bud!

Did you purchase it pretty much done, or did you do a lot of the work to it?

Again....looks great!

Pat

Took it down to bare frame and started over. I have a couple friends that know what they’re doing so 2 years and a lot of money later, I’m one lucky guy. It was a great experience learning so much about these K5’s

Hagendog 12-23-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spf79 (Post 8647539)
Looks great! I love the stance, what is the lift/wheels/tire combo???

6” lift springs, 15X12 Weld Outback’s and Toyo MT 33x12.50

Spf79 12-27-2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagendog (Post 8647698)
6” lift springs, 15X12 Weld Outback’s and Toyo MT 33x12.50

Looks great! From the pics I was assuming 35's. Again, just an awesome look!!

Ptjsk 12-27-2019 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spf79 (Post 8647538)
Looks amazing!! I'm jealous!

Thanks Bud! It's coming along!

Pat