The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   S10 S15 Luv Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   2000 single cab harsh ride softening suggestions? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=570132)

earl84 03-11-2013 01:10 PM

2000 single cab harsh ride softening suggestions?

I bought my daughter a 2000 S10 LS a couple years ago. Had to put a new engine in it, and she really likes it. BUT, DAAAYUM, I hate the ride of that thing! :frog: I feel every bump and dip in the road. Seems like the shocks are doing their job just fine, as it doesn't bounce around.
I know with some weight in the back it would probably be better. She will rarely, if ever have more than 50 pounds back there, and will never tow anything. Is there some way of softening the ride? New springs with a softer rate, new shocks, pulling a spring out of the spring pack, anything? And are there effects of doing these that need to be compensated for, like if I pull a spring, will it need the front lowered or whatever?
She is moving from Texas to PA in May. It doesn't bother her, so maybe I should just let her keep it that way and stop thinking about it, haha.:lol:

Billett 03-11-2013 01:21 PM

Re: 2000 single cab harsh ride softening suggestions?

The one I bought was lowered by the PO on cut springs and drop blocks. It rode like hell, but many of the other s10s I rode in weren't much better. Bagged trucks weren't bad, but that's a bit expensive. Is this truck lowered already?

gchemist 03-11-2013 01:38 PM

I don't drive a truck. I drive a Jimmy. It's heavier than a truck. I solve a control and stability problem by going to larger tires. More tire = more rubber = smoother ride. Due to the larger tires, I also run air pressure on the lower side. If I inflate to the upper end, I feel every bump and crack.

earl84 03-11-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billett (Post 5940186)
The one I bought was lowered by the PO on cut springs and drop blocks. It rode like hell, but many of the other s10s I rode in weren't much better. Bagged trucks weren't bad, but that's a bit expensive. Is this truck lowered already?

No, stock everything. Stock tire size, rim, ride height, suspension, everything. Could maybe check tire pressure, but don't know if that will take care of this harshness. Can't hurt though.

midniteblues 03-14-2013 07:09 AM

the ride might not bother her down there in texas but up here in pa our roads are TERRIBLE!
every s10 i've had or been in feel like a washboard i'm guessing its just the nature of a small truck.

BlackedOut67shorty 03-15-2013 07:44 PM

By any chance would it be a zr2? They came with stiffer shocks from the factory. Some used bilstiens even not being zr2 but was not too common
Posted via Mobile Device

earl84 03-16-2013 12:33 AM

Nope, not a ZR2.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackedOut67shorty 03-16-2013 01:16 PM

Well its better than being loose and sloppy
Posted via Mobile Device

98layinframe 04-11-2013 12:53 PM

Is it a v6 or 4 cylinder truck? Out back you can simply pull the middle leaf from the pack to soften the ride but this will also end up lowering the truck about a 1.5"

Up front if itsa v6 you can swap out the springs for 4 banger springs. This also will lower it approx 3/4-1"

For shocks the cheapo nitrogen charged gas shocks work well. I had stiff belltech drop shocks on mine and hated the buck board ride, swapped them out for cheap part store 15 dollar specials and it rode much softer.
Posted via Mobile Device

earl84 04-12-2013 08:53 PM

It's a 4 cylinder. Good suggestions, but I don't know if I will get around to doing anything to this truck. It's my daughter's, she is 19 and she has moved away, so I no longer have access to it. Maybe that's good, I can concentrate on my own vehicles.

PanelDeland 05-26-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midniteblues (Post 5946350)
the ride might not bother her down there in texas but up here in pa our roads are TERRIBLE!
every s10 i've had or been in feel like a washboard i'm guessing its just the nature of a small truck.

You've obviously never been to Tx.There are two kinds of roads there,closed and under construction.The closed ones are usually smoother.

76C10Stepside 05-28-2013 03:22 AM

Somebody recommended velvet-ride shackles in regards to a 1-ton (?) the other day. They are basically two-piece shackles that swivel in the middle.

My '89 S10 rides smoother than my '76 C10 when both are unloaded. The S10 has the optional sport suspension package (not sure what's in that other than sway bars). I put drop shackles on the C10. Have been wondering if I could add the original shackles to the drop shackles to make my own "velvit ryde" shackles, probably be way too long, though. I'm already bottoming out against the bed...