The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Digging Holes For Shop Today! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=266634)

NONHOG 11-15-2007 04:39 PM

Digging Holes For Shop Today!

I'm pumped , my contractor is actually working in my yard !
I'll snap some pics as it goes together , 1200 SQ FT shop/garage .:metal:
took forever to get permits
Its a pole building so today they dig holes , county inspects them , then the fun begins !

Andy4639 11-15-2007 04:51 PM

Re: Digging Holes For Shop Today!

That is great. I know your feeling. I just had my garage built this past winter and man! I didn't know what I was missing until it was finished. My 71 and 07 have a nice cozy home now to live in.
My son has his own gym up top with a Bo-Flex and other stuff. Oh yea his video stuff too!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...39989/pair.JPG

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...7/DSC00345.JPG

EyeH8the24 11-15-2007 04:51 PM

post plenty of pics as build goes along.....

Sillyoldman 11-15-2007 05:00 PM

Im glad it's finally started. Now the real stress starts. Are you planning on going back to work, or sit around watching people tearing things up?

NONHOG 11-15-2007 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think i'll wait till I get home everynight to "pull my hair out":lol:
Actually it'll be fun coming home and seeing whats changed , if anything !
I'll post a front yard before pic .

BACKYARD88 11-15-2007 05:35 PM

Wow, looks like front woods from here:D I only wish I could see that many trees from my front yard.

NONHOG 11-15-2007 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yep 20 trees taken out . I liked them but the needles were everywhere !
and that was the only place to put the shop !

BACKYARD88 11-15-2007 06:35 PM

Cool! Thank the lord for chainsaws:D

old Rusty C10 11-15-2007 07:09 PM

when youre done with yours wanna come over and build mine??

Sillyoldman 11-15-2007 07:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Before and after the coin-toss pics of Nonhog.:lol:

streetstar 11-15-2007 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=Andy4639;2447243]That is great. I know your feeling. I just had my garage built this past winter and man! I didn't know what I was missing until it was finished. My 71 and 07 have a nice cozy home now to live in.
My son has his own gym up top with a Bo-Flex and other stuff. Oh yea his video stuff too!

Andy, thats pretty slick --- on the loft upstairs, did you have to "stick build" it , or did they use a pre-made attic truss ? -- what size is it? I have to build a new storage barn myself and would love to have a little hideaway up-top

NONHOG 11-15-2007 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sillyoldman (Post 2447437)
Before and after the coin-toss pics of Nonhog.:lol:

I have decided I liked the trees better so I hired a guy to put them back in
see.............

NONHOG 11-15-2007 10:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Actually I almost walked right into one of the holes when I got home tonite
(very dark) my wife happened to show up and took the auger pictures earlier in the day.
heres were I just about broke a leg or some darn thing :o

Andy4639 11-15-2007 11:21 PM

streetstar,
The whole thing was hand built. The trusses were all delivered already built. The garage is 28'x24' with the upstairs is 28' x 12' heated space. Both sides have a crawl space for storage. I built trap doors on each wall to get in and out.

streetstar 11-16-2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONHOG (Post 2447744)
Actually I almost walked right into one of the holes when I got home tonite
(very dark) my wife happened to show up and took the auger pictures earlier in the day.
heres were I just about broke a leg or some darn thing :o

Sounds like you're pretty excited about the project :lol:

How big? flooring plans-- painted or tiled? (checkerboard floor kit -- i knew it) unfinished or drywalled and air conditioned? Is it gonna have a lift? -- please tell me it has 12' ceilings and a lift, plus a giant air compressor hard plumbed throughout the place, but mounted outside so you dont have to hear it, --- oh, oh, and a loft like Andy's so you can have a place to "write your mystery novel" -- hardwired for internet so you can check out the boards without the little woman wondering what your doing. Surround sound and satellite tv would be nice too

:bling2:

Sorry, i got a little excited and am living vicariously through your project. I am trying to budget for one of my own in the future (i have a big -a$$ garage, but its not quite the same as a separate , dedicated shop building)

All the choices with doing your own shop can be a little overwhelming, and if you let your brain go into overdrive - they can cost as much as a small house :lol:

Sillyoldman 11-16-2007 11:45 AM

Geeze I could only imagine stepping in them holes in the middle of the night. They should put some plywood
over the holes. Thats a liability.
Maybe you should invite your grass dumping neighbor over to your place?

NONHOG 11-16-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sillyoldman (Post 2448258)
Geeze I could only imagine stepping in them holes in the middle of the night. They should put some plywood
over the holes. Thats a liability.
Maybe you should invite your grass dumping neighbor over to your place?

:lol:

[QUOTE=streetstar;2447877]Sounds like you're pretty excited about the project :lol:

How big? flooring plans-- painted or tiled? (checkerboard floor kit -- i knew it) unfinished or drywalled and air conditioned? Is it gonna have a lift? -- please tell me it has 12' ceilings and a lift, plus a giant air compressor hard plumbed throughout the place, but mounted outside so you dont have to hear it, --- oh, oh, and a loft like Andy's so you can have a place to "write your mystery novel" -- hardwired for internet so you can check out the boards without the little woman wondering what your doing. Surround sound and satellite tv would be nice too

How big : 1200 sq ft. kinda a 2 phase building 14x32 where I can park my DD
(Scion XB) and kids bikes yard tools , lawn mowers , whatever else Momma wants :lol:
then the good part 28x28 Shop space (man room) room for a lift (Yep ) may make a small area to put my bike and maybe a lil office space
won't need A/C here in the ol PNW only use it 2 weeks out of the year :lol:
I've been studying on the Garage journal http://www.garagejournal.com/
awesome stuff there . (almost as good as this site) not sure about floor coatings or coverings alot of $ for little return except for show IMO
loft YES ! sheet rock ? not sure just yet probably a combo of sheetrock
peg board with this stuff for the lower 4 ' http://www.magnesiacore.com/
so many ideas so little time . !

Blue'72 11-16-2007 02:50 PM

I love my trees too, but I'd be willing to fire up the chainsaw for a shop like that! As jealous as I am, I AM happy for ya!! :)

Hoods69BadBowTie 11-16-2007 02:55 PM

Thats awesome. LOL at the the tree hugging picture. Can't wait to see it when its done. You all are making me want my own shop so bad now.

Sillyoldman 11-17-2007 02:29 PM

Any new progress pics?

PS, tree hugger is NOT actually Nonhog. Just being Silly.

NONHOG 11-17-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sillyoldman (Post 2449998)
Any new progress pics?

PS, tree hugger is NOT actually Nonhog. Just being Silly.

My hairline is slightly further forward (not much):lol:

Got one of the man doors delivered @ 7 am this morning but thats all the news for now ! hoping to see posts in the ground when I get there tonite but I dought it , not scheduled for delivery till Friday .
They charged me an extra 90 $ for longer post cause they started earlier than planned (worth the 90$ in my book)

NONHOG 11-18-2007 12:19 PM

No lumber or metal yet , but the porta potty has landed . Very good sign !
Just installed my 20 amp service for there air compressor last night .
The ball is rolling !

NONHOG 11-19-2007 12:33 AM

My contractor said the materials are scheduled for drop on friday and then they would set the post friday and start on the roof monday . More BS nothing happened today (friday)except there is a toilet in my front yard for no good reason.
I am a lil bummed . :(

NONHOG 11-21-2007 09:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well Monday night is here and @ 5 its pretty dark but heres what I found in my front yard when I got home .
hope to see some post upright when I get home Tuesday .:c2:

entourageguy 11-22-2007 12:10 AM

Glad to see us Canadians could help in the building of the shop.

Brian ..:cool: