The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Project: '72 Family Hauler (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=753002)

shearjs 03-12-2018 11:16 AM

Re: Project: '72 Family Hauler

5 Attachment(s)
I had a little time to get out in the garage on Sunday. I pulled the rear drums to see how the rear brakes look. No leaks from the wheel cylinders, and the shoes still have some wear, so I think i'll let them ride until I swap over to rear discs. Also took a look at what was going on out back from the previous owner. (Check out that exhaust hanger!!) I have some notches on order from Dead End Garage that should be in within the next couple of weeks. I pulled the old door weather stripping from the 3 doors, and installed some new push on Precision seals. I think I need to go ahead and replace the window seals soon, because the doors are so tight now that I feel like the glass may break when they get slammed shut. I pulled the burb out and made my first lap around the block since replacing everything up front. No funny sounds, and nothing fell off, so I think we're good! I did a quick string alignment to straighten the wheels and steering wheel, then pulled this crappy aftermarket wheel. The 14" diameter felt too small for one of these vehicles. I mounted a 15" repo comfortgrip in it's place. I have to say, I definitely prefer the comfortgrip over the Grant equivalent that was installed on my old truck. The horn connection is giving me a little trouble. I can get the horn to sound by pushing on the contacts, but once the horn button is installed, I can't get any noise. Any recommendations?

04ls1gto 03-12-2018 07:03 PM

That's a structural exhaust hanger haha.

LockDoc 03-12-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04ls1gto (Post 8210169)
That's a structural exhaust hanger haha.

Where I come from it would be called "Bullet Proof"...:)

LockDoc

04ls1gto 03-13-2018 08:50 AM

Where did you pick up the steering wheel? Why original is all cracked and beat up

shearjs 03-13-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04ls1gto (Post 8210627)
Where did you pick up the steering wheel? Why original is all cracked and beat up

It came from Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Comfort-Gri...72.m2749.l2649

So far I'm extremely happy with the fit. I just haven't quite figured out the correct way to hook up the horn as there are no instructions.

Hart_Rod 03-14-2018 08:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 8210636)
It came from Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Comfort-Gri...72.m2749.l2649

So far I'm extremely happy with the fit. I just haven't quite figured out the correct way to hook up the horn as there are no instructions.

I have a similar steering wheel. What is the issue with the horn?

http://www.camaros.net/forums/23-int...n-install.html

https://www.camarocentral.com/category_s/41119.htm

shearjs 03-14-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8211452)

Rob,

I have everything installed per the illustration. Is the spring from contact plunger the only thing that holds the steering contact away from the steering wheel? I can get the horn to honk when pushing down the contact, but when the horn button is snapped on, I get nothing.

Hart_Rod 03-14-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 8211486)
Rob,

I have everything installed per the illustration. Is the spring from contact plunger the only thing that holds the steering contact away from the steering wheel? I can get the horn to honk when pushing down the contact, but when the horn button is snapped on, I get nothing.

You should have a wire coming out of the plunger that connects to the switch ("E" in the diagram) that looks like this:

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph...0003/FR20120HN

shearjs 03-14-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8211512)
You should have a wire coming out of the plunger that connects to the switch ("E" in the diagram) that looks like this:

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph...0003/FR20120HN

Interesting. The aftermarket horn I took off had a wire in the plunger that was connected, but since this kit didn't include one of those, I removed it and instead installed the spring, then contact plunger. The contact plate with the 3 screws then holds down the plunger in the hole on top of the spring. I suppose I could put the plunger with the wire back in and hook the wire end to the little tab on the back of the 3 hole contact plate and see what happens. Should there be a spring behind the contact plate on top of the column nut that holds the horn button away from the wheel?

Hart_Rod 03-14-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 8211516)
Interesting. The aftermarket horn I took off had a wire in the plunger that was connected, but since this kit didn't include one of those, I removed it and instead installed the spring, then contact plunger. The contact plate with the 3 screws then holds down the plunger in the hole on top of the spring. I suppose I could put the plunger with the wire back in and hook the wire end to the little tab on the back of the 3 hole contact plate and see what happens. Should there be a spring behind the contact plate on top of the column nut that holds the horn button away from the wheel?

I believe my 3 hole contact plate is spring loaded.

shearjs 03-14-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8211521)
I believe my 3 hole contact plate is spring loaded.

This is what my kit came with, minus the horn contact canceling cam. I'm using the original truck cam. Other than what's pictured, I have the hub, the steering wheel, and the horn button.

https://www.camarocentral.com/1967_1...t_p/ste-85.htm

shearjs 03-18-2018 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, it turns out that the horn/steering wheel was installed correctly. I just didn’t have the horn button on exactly right. At least it was something simple even if it did make me feel like an idiot. I took the Burb in for an alignment yesterday. I’ve put 10-15 miles on it since then and it drives down the road awesome. The steering is nice and tight. The rear suspension bottoms out on decent bumps so I’ll be installing the notch soon. I also picked up a 1” block to put in at that time. The inside edge of the rear tires are rubbing the tubs a little on bumps. I’ll probably try massaging the tubs a little with a block of wood and hammer and maybe add a 1/4” spacer when I redo the rear end. I’m sure the panhard bar could use a little adjusting as well. It feels good to actually have it on the road!

LockDoc 03-18-2018 04:47 PM

-
Good deal. Glad you have it on the road.

LockDoc

goldenburb 03-18-2018 05:45 PM

Way cool how nice wheels and lower stance can make. Good job.

68SWB4x4 03-18-2018 07:10 PM

Congrats on getting it on the road!

Bennett68C10 03-19-2018 08:08 AM

Burb is looking good Jason, glad to see you out driving it.

Perpendicular 03-19-2018 12:13 PM

The stance is perfect!

Advanced Design 03-19-2018 10:03 PM

Congrat’s looks very good!

Dieselwrencher 03-20-2018 04:34 PM

It sure looks sweet now! Great work!

Duraburb 03-29-2018 05:49 PM

Sweet Burb!!

gringoloco 03-29-2018 09:03 PM

Love it! Doing flat caps on the TTs?

shearjs 03-30-2018 08:42 AM

Thanks guys! It's coming along. I've decided to go ahead and address the rear suspension while the weather is still crappy. I have a c-notch, panhard bar, and some rear shock relocators that I picked up from Jason over at Dead End Garage. New trailing arm bushings, some new shocks, and a 1" lowering block are in the plans. I've replaced the lenses on the turn signals, tail lights, and reverse lights and replaced a couple broken door handles. I also replaced the front factory lap belts with some 3 point retractable belts from Morris Classic. I hope to tackle the suspension stuff within the next week or so and will have some new updated pictures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8225431)
Love it! Doing flat caps on the TTs?

I've contemplated doing flat caps like you had on your Streeter wheels, but I'll probably leave the original caps on for now. I do like the look though and it may be in the books for a future upgrade.

Bennett68C10 03-30-2018 11:47 AM

Nice buddy, can’t wait to see the next round of updates!

duke_lbz 03-30-2018 02:59 PM

Looking good. Ive got similar plans for my recently purchased burb

shearjs 04-09-2018 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was really hoping to have a new round of updates to share from this past weekend. Instead, all I have to show for it is a fractured 4th metacarpal in my right hand. While drilling holes in the trailing arms to mount the new Deadend Garage lower shock relocators, my drill bit grabbed and torqued the drill around in my hand. That force was enough to break the bone. Vacation day was wasted after drilling two measly holes...minor setback.