The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Another speaker question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=237245)

JAKES 68GMC 04-18-2007 11:36 PM

Another speaker question

I want to put a stereo in my GMC. I have the CD player, a nice Pioneer one, now I just need some speakers. I'm not going to cut the doors apart to put them in. I don't want to do kick panels, either. I'd like to put them under the seat, or under/inside the dash maybe? Someplace where they will sound good, regardless. I have no clue what to buy for speakers. I'd like to have the clearest, best sounding speakers there are that don't cost too much. (less than $50 :o ) So, I guess my two main questions are:

1. where should I put the speakers?
2. what should I buy for speakers to get good sound quality?

Thanks for the help, I just need some tunes in the GMC.

1969k10stepside 04-18-2007 11:38 PM

Re: Another speaker question

.......The motor should be the tune ;)

AceX 04-19-2007 05:57 AM

If you aren't going to cut anything, place the speakers in the dash. It's the best possible place you could put them. It is however, a PITA.

I wouldn't count on anything larger than a 4" speaker fitting inside that small space.

Unfortunately, there isn't much out there for the tiny sum of money that you are talking about... Look into some either some Eclipse or Pioneer coaxial speakers.

Whatever you do, don't put speakers underneath the seat... They sound like crap and don't put out hardly any volume.

JAKES 68GMC 04-19-2007 09:02 AM

I dragged what was left of what looked like a 6x9 under the dash a while back, it was up under the dash, next to my steering column.

Tiny sum of money?! $50 is a LOT of money, especially for some speakers! :lol:

AceX 04-19-2007 10:59 PM

lol

Maybe I'm just out of touch with the low-budget speaker installations. (My "cheap" speakers are $400 retail...)

The speakrer you're talking about was closer to the center of the dash IIRC. I think it was a 4x6? Correct me if I'm wrong.

LMC truck makes some replacement speakers for the dash that will fit your budget and should bolt in place without any modifications to the dash or metal. I can't speak for the quality because I've never heard them...

72 cheyenne pdx 04-20-2007 01:46 PM

You can buy a pair of 3.5" speakers that will work in the dash. What I do when we install these is take out the original speaker, if still there, use it as a template to cut out 1/4" MDF. Mount the speakers under the MDF so the cut out will fit flush.

I have a great sounding no-name 3.5" in my truck. They cost $30.00/pair at any car stereo place. Make sure not to get dual cone. get the 3.5" with a tweeter. You will be a lot happier.

Good Luck on your quest.

JAKES 68GMC 04-20-2007 09:15 PM

AceX, the speaker was further away from the center of the dash, it was under that gauge panel. It didn't look like factory stock, but it had been crammed in there for awhile, 20 years or more.

72 cheyenne, I should get some 3.5" speakers with single cone and a tweeter and put them under the dash? They only cost $30 and sound great? That sounds like a plan. I hate to sound dumb, and I really feel dumb right now, but what is a tweeter??? :lol:

72 cheyenne pdx 04-20-2007 10:07 PM

That's what I did. Here is a little run down of a speaker. You have 2 parts that reproduce the sound. The tweeter and the woofer. The tweeter usually reproduces the sounds from around 4khz to 20khz. The woofer usually reproduces from the 4khz to about the 20hz range. Now depending on the size of the woofer will determine the lower range in the sound reproduced. A 3.5" woofer will never be able to reproduce the 20hz sound. There just isn't enough cone area to get it that low. A 3.5" speaker will usually go down to about 1khz to about 600hz.

Ideally this is what you will want to get the full sound.

Tweeter - 20khz - 4khz
Mid-Range - 4khz - 1khz
Mid-Bass - 1khz - 80hz
subwoofer - 80hz - 20hz

Good luck in the system you decide to go with.

JAKES 68GMC 04-20-2007 10:25 PM

Ehhhhh, ok. I guess I get what you're saying. :lol: I'll go look in wal-mart nxt time I go and see what they have for speakers.

Hoods69BadBowTie 04-21-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx (Post 2136888)
That's what I did. Here is a little run down of a speaker. You have 2 parts that reproduce the sound. The tweeter and the woofer. The tweeter usually reproduces the sounds from around 4khz to 20khz. The woofer usually reproduces from the 4khz to about the 20hz range. Now depending on the size of the woofer will determine the lower range in the sound reproduced. A 3.5" woofer will never be able to reproduce the 20hz sound. There just isn't enough cone area to get it that low. A 3.5" speaker will usually go down to about 1khz to about 600hz.

Ideally this is what you will want to get the full sound.

Tweeter - 20khz - 4khz
Mid-Range - 4khz - 1khz
Mid-Bass - 1khz - 80hz
subwoofer - 80hz - 20hz

Good luck in the system you decide to go with.

You explained everything so well I got nothing to add. I would also recommend some little pioneers. Decent price and they sound pretty decent too!

JAKES 68GMC 04-21-2007 08:21 PM

I looked under my dash today to try and imagine where to put the speakers, shouldn't be too much trouble. Lots of room under there. Thanks for the help guys, I think I will go with a Pioneer speakers to match the CD player. My dad had a Pioneer 8-track in his Camaro back in the 70's and loved it. He swears by Pioneer stereos. :lol: