The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   am/fm radios? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=193044)

Ricks1971 03-17-2006 01:42 AM

am/fm radios?

Hey guys could you tell me what options do you have to get a am/fm radio in a 71 pickup. I know they made one in 72 I think (hard to find) is there a after market one you can get that you won't have to hack up your dash? Thanks Rick

BobbyK 03-17-2006 05:13 AM

Re: am/fm radios?

I know they are listed in a option panphlet I have,but no numbers are listed.
http://images7.fotki.com/v125/photos...SCN1761-vi.jpg

http://images8.fotki.com/v112/photos...SCN1767-vi.jpg

special-K 03-17-2006 07:06 AM

Shoot,back then and up into the 80s there was the small pattern(foreign) and the big pattern(US).Like headlights used to be,plum simple.I had in-dash am/fm/cassettes in all my trucks,I still do.I kept the Alpine unit that was in my`84.It has a 100w component amp and I have the matching cellular phone that pauses the tape or turns down the radio when a call comes in.

Huck 03-17-2006 09:07 AM

Most aftermarket dealers (including those who support this board) carry an aftermarket AM/FM with casette that fit our dash perfect. They work a whole lot better then the originals.
You can sometimes find an original for like $300+ or a VAN version that is very similar for a bit less. The original radio's are very pricy and don't work very well especially when 20 feet or more from a transmission tower!!

Ricks1971 03-17-2006 10:33 AM

Thanks for the imformation on the radios.Do you know what year van to look for that fits? thanks Rick

purple gas 03-17-2006 12:24 PM

If your gonna be looking in wrecking yards I'd cut a template of you holes in a piece of shoe box type cardbard. You could stick it in your pocket and compare it to whatever you find to know for sure. That's if your striving for a correct looking radio. If you want to listen to music, There's aftermarket ones that will fit and probably perform a whole lot better than something very used with 30 yr old technology. When I was a kid and these trucks were a few years old whacking the dash a few times was often neccesary to tune in a station.

Ricks1971 03-17-2006 03:16 PM

I am just looking for one that fits without cutting the dash. I am not into the exact onr that came with the truck. Just a am/fm! Thanks guys for your replies.:)

boundstaffpress 03-17-2006 03:26 PM

I have a Pioneer tape deck. I had to use the cover plate, but it just fits in the dash with no cutting. Impala Bob's has them in their catalog for around $200. They are not listed on the website. I haven't ordered from them, so don't know what to tell you for quality/avaliability of the product or service.

davidh 03-17-2006 03:32 PM

Look on ebay for shaft radios. Most of these aftermarket radios are cheapie Kenwoods with fancy knobs that don't pickup anything. If you look at their counterpart it's a $89 radio(ie kenwood). the chevy faceplate and knobs mark it up to $200
The alpines in the 80's are a good choice but are getting pricey. NONE of the major stereo manufactures make a decent shaft radio anymore. If they even offer a shaft radio it's a junk $80 unit. Ie Je**en and ke**ood

john 03-17-2006 06:06 PM

You can find some refurbished originals here. Rather pricey though.
John

PICKMUP 03-17-2006 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I run and sell these. You may be able to get a little more radio for the money, but these fit and look good.
Get the USA-1 (not the 64W cheaper model) and just use them. Don't try to make a "boom box" out of them and drive huge speakers etc...they are nice little radios if you use them for normal listening.

72armyswbtruck 03-17-2006 07:40 PM

That template idea was a good idea, I think that I am going to have to try that, also I am glad to see that the picture of the dealer installed am/fm is different than the factory installed am/fm unit. There is one for sale on ebay NOS dealer option.

72 Money Pit 03-18-2006 01:01 AM

lmctruck.com has several choices from the lower $200 and up ... am/fm/cassette and also with CD changer controller. Don't know how good they are, but they make them out to be really good.

davidh 03-18-2006 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 Money Pit
lmctruck.com has several choices from the lower $200 and up ... am/fm/cassette and also with CD changer controller. Don't know how good they are, but they make them out to be really good.

I believe Those are the lame radios I was commenting on. Some don't even have a seperate treble or bass just "tone". I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I'd prefer to put in a shaft radio that was aftermarket than cut the dash but I don't want to pay for an overpriced radio with similar knobs as the original that sounds like a $75 unit.

4x4Poet 03-18-2006 05:40 AM

LMC sells Autosound stuff that has been thoroughly trashed on BBs by those who obviously know a good stereo, like installers. They are a decent radio for mild volume listening, but not a worthy head unit for a high power amp and speakers, i.e., a clean sounding stereo system.

Do a search on "shaft style receiver" on google, ebay, or any car audio seller (Crutchfield, CarDomain, etc.) and prepare to be dissappointed. I have use for a shaft style receiver, with or without cassette or CD, that has a jack for a multi CD player and either at least 20w RMS or jacks for a separate amp to power all or 2 of 4 speakers. Fat chance finding one.

If anyone finds one, post up. FWIW, I'm sure many board members would be very grateful.

72freak 03-18-2006 07:03 AM

most companies carry post style radios that will work without cutting the dash.

Olden Days 03-18-2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PICKMUP
I run and sell these. You may be able to get a little more radio for the money, but these fit and look good.
Get the USA-1 (not the 64W cheaper model) and just use them. Don't try to make a "boom box" out of them and drive huge speakers etc...they are nice little radios if you use them for normal listening.

Whats your price tag on those?

kelsfine69 03-18-2006 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You probably saw this but I put mine in the glovebox, then you can pick any deck you want.

nyncompute 03-18-2006 04:21 PM

I cant believe they are still selling cassette decks as a new item...they are rapidly going the way of the 8 track