The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   63 Big Block transmission question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=693891)

1963ChevyC10 01-06-2016 04:30 PM

63 Big Block transmission question

Well as the title says, I'm currently building a 63 short fleetside with a 496 to drop in. Pretty much just a driver, maybe some light work. Never really worked with cars before and none of my family has either, just kinda learning as I go. Anyway, as the title says I have no clue to go with the transmission. My main goal is if possible I would love to keep the 3 on the tree. Absolutely love that aspect of the truck. I know nothing about transmissions so any advice or suggestion is welcome! Headed out to work soon but hopefully getting some pics of truck up later tonight.

Chevy Fleetside 01-06-2016 05:21 PM

Re: 63 Big Block transmission question

A 496 BB would shred a 3 speed trans. you could put in a 5 speed but would need to go to a floor shifter. You also put in a built 700R4 for overdrive which will cost a good amount of cash or go with a TH400 automatic. I have a stock 454 out of an 89 Suburban with a built up 700R4. I just cruise it.

MikeN 01-06-2016 05:24 PM

You could use the larger, much heavier duty 3-speed manual transmission from a 66 or newer truck, but they are difficult to mate to your column shifter, and a good quality Hurst floor shifter will be a lot of $$$. The best compromise for keeping cost down is probably a 3-speed automatic, preferably a TH400, although a TH350 is pretty stout too.

Captainfab 01-07-2016 01:43 AM

I have no idea how your 496 is built but just assuming it is going to likely put out close to 500 ftlbs, I doubt that 3 speed will last very long. Of course that is subjective to what you will be running for rear tires. If you are just running some skinny street tires that will just go up in smoke, that will be easier on the drivetrain than a set of wide/sticky drag radials.

With that said, for a manual trans, a SM 420 or SM465 should hold up, but won't be any fun shifting. A TKO600 5 speed should hold up and be fun to shift but at a price. For an auto trans a well built TH400 will do the job as well as a 4L80E. Of course the 4L80E will need a controller which adds to the cost.

padresag 01-07-2016 02:31 AM

3 speeds can sometimes fool you. I can remember back in the early mid 60's there use to be 2 dodges which ran at Mission Raceways. one was a ramcharged hemi(4 speed0 putting out over 5000 hp. The other was a ram charged wedge with a 3 speed. it was always a good battle. never seemed to have any problem at the races with it.
I ran a 3 speed chevy OD behind a well built 371 olds in my 32 chev and never had any problem. prior to that with the old top shift 3 speed (circa 1937) behind a 261 all that I ever did was knock 2nd synros sng you would just take it apart and put it back in and peen it and away you go. things were much simpler then and no internet to confuse ones self. it was just cars
ron

1strong63 01-07-2016 06:24 AM

use an auto like a 400 and shift it using the column shifter, i've seen a guy in a f... do that in england, with a dedicated kit. i guess it's possible on our chevy.
i have a SM465 with my mild build 482 and as captain said it's not very funny to handle.

PGSigns 01-07-2016 07:51 AM

Also what is behind the trans has to be looked at. If it has the light duty drive shaft and a single track rear that will be an issue. Then you are going to want to upgrade the brakes. With the weight on the nose the drums wont cut it. The big block is not just a drop in and bolt up either. Mounts will need to be made. With you being new to mechanical work, I would start this project with the engine that is in it. Do brake and suspension upgrades first to make it a safe driver. Sort out any electrical issues next. Then go from there after you have driven it some. I went to a stout 396 in my 64 and the first thing that broke was the turbo 350, then snapped a u joint, then knocked a tooth off the rear gear. Thats when the frame rails got moved, leaf springs and a 9" ford went in it. With the big tires under it it was still not much fun to drive in the rain. The weight split just sucked. All my trucks have been small block since.
Jimmy

TJ's Chevy 01-07-2016 11:22 AM

We got a TH400 behind the 496 in me an dad's 77 C20. Tranny has held up fine through it all.

1963ChevyC10 01-07-2016 08:36 PM

Well, not really the answer I was hoping for but thanks guys! I had been looking at a th400 before this and thats definitely the direction I think I'm going to look now.
Anyway I promised I would post some pics of the truck. Not super current as I'm hoping to put the cab back on tonight with the new floor pans installed, but it can give you a good idea of where I'm at.
Addressing some concern I do have disc brakes all the way around and I have beefed up the front suspension a bit with some more work still to come.
http://imgur.com/a/AarVj
Apologize for posting on imgur, I was having some trouble uploading. Couldn't resist posting the first pic with the truck as well. Almost 4 years ago now.

MikeN 01-08-2016 11:37 AM

Neat looking truck!