The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=253)
-   -   1986 S10 Daily Driver Rollover Rebuild (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=800004)

Bigdually 11-05-2021 09:57 PM

Re: 1986 S10 Daily Driver Rollover Rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 8992087)
Definitely looks muck better, Congrats!!

Thank you! I am enjoying just sitting in the garage sometimes and looking at it from different angles, it doesn't look like the same ratty truck that I drug home several years ago, and it's a far cry from the awful looking multi color mess it was after I rebuilt it. The paint is far from perfect, and the bodywork could have stood lots more time put in, but honestly for a daily work beater that gets well used I didn't want to invest all the time and effort.

I did accomplish two small things after work, stuck on the new valance with fog light cutouts and carefully masked then blacked out the faded ugly antenna base.

Warrens69GMC 11-05-2021 10:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
On mine. I plan to run a hidden antenna and fill the hole. Much cleaner, IMO.

SCOTI 11-05-2021 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 8992458)

Cleaner. Either works for sure.

Bigdually 11-06-2021 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 8992458)

Definitely cleaner, and I like the look a lot. On my big truck I'm going to do that and use a regular squarebody antenna windshield.

Unfortunately, the hidden type antennas don't work quite as well around my area, I'm on the edge of reception for lots of the radio stations I listen to and I need all the antenna I can get

Bigdually 12-22-2021 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've neglected to post much lately because I haven't had too much to post. I fixed a few vacuum leaks that were causing me fits plus stuck a new manifold and O2 sensor on the truck. Runs a lot better now than it was and I'm back to driving it daily.

I finally took the time to wire the DRL halos on my headlights this evening to switched power, I like them. Now I just need to find and mout a nice set of driving lights to fill the holes in the valance.

Warrens69GMC 12-22-2021 07:56 PM

Nice. Enjoy!

LT7A 05-14-2022 12:28 PM

Wow, the paint and all of the visual upgrades look great! That truck came out really nice. You got cool looking reliable transportation that gets great gas mileage and allows you to haul stuff around. Can't hardly beat it.

Hankster 09-01-2022 09:39 AM

This little truck turned out great! I'm getting ready to freshen up the interior in my 46k mile '89 ext cab. Seeing yours with fresh paint really makes me want to hurry up and spray mine. Keep up the updates.

Bigdually 01-18-2023 09:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Can't believe it's been just over a year since I was here last! Busy year, the S10 was my daily for every bit of it, right up til mid November when I busted the grille on nature's dumbest road hazard, a deer.

I then swapped in an aftermarket grille that a friend gave me, and ran it for a couple weeks until I was unlucky enough to have a larger deer jump right in front of me out of nowhere while I was going 55-60. Busted the grille, radiator, hood, and core support.

On MLK day I was off work and put my spare original hood from the truck on and winched the core support back straight so the hood will latch, and swapped in a new radiator. Plus I installed a new felpro valve cover gasket I've had for a while and changed the oil. It's not pretty, but it's back to drivable now at least

Just call me Sean 01-19-2023 12:10 AM

Bummer. My wife hit a deer with ours. Messed up the bumper, fender, grill and headlight. And the deer.

LT7A 01-18-2024 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So what's the latest on this one? I can't decide if you have terrible luck hitting all these deer or wonderful luck that you haven't been antlered. I'll be honest, but I have to whisper this: I actually like projects like this much better than the fancy ones. Making something drive, improving it, making it work for you, saving money, all those things are more interesting and compelling to me. But don't tell anyone. I also missed the part where you converted it to a hover car:

Bigdually 03-13-2024 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here I am another year plus since I was last on the site. After last post, I had issues with it running really poorly and I dug in to find the throttle body was worn badly around the throttle shaft allowing enough unmetered air in that it just wouldn't run right. Had issues sourcing a reman until about a month ago I finally was able to get my hands on a reman TBI-I.

The truck runs as good as ever now, I'm back to dailying it to work, although it rewarded me for waking it from its long rest by PROMPTLY puking all the antifreeze into the passenger footwell...... I have the heater core hoses looped and I'll fix that when I have a chance, at the moment I'm neck deep in a bathroom remodel and that's taking most of my free time.

The old truck still looks decent, minus the mismatch hood. I'm hoping this spring to have time to paint it to match.

SCOTI 03-14-2024 12:49 AM

Still a site favorite for me. Thanks for popping in & updating when opportunity allows.