The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Odd Ext/Int Color Combos (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=786880)

special-K 05-14-2019 09:16 PM

Odd Ext/Int Color Combos

4 Attachment(s)
We know you could put any interior with ant paint color, yet most trucks we see have combinations that you'd expect. Kind of like people dressing. There are plaid pants and plaid shirts, but how often do you see someone wearing both? Other than on skid row that is :lol:

My friend has this '69 with Medium Gold Poly paint and a Bright Red interior. Maybe the original owner was a 49ers fan

lks dcvn 05-14-2019 09:27 PM

Re: Odd Ext/Int Color Combos

oh my - I'd say that's a rare combo

Chevyland 05-14-2019 09:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Kind of odd ?

71blksuper4x4 05-14-2019 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
69 Light Blue with Maroon interior

Steeveedee 05-14-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 8525780)
69 Light Blue with Maroon interior

That's pretty ate up. I remember when I went to work at a Chevy dealer out of high school, and the vehicles at the end of the year model had some oddball stuff like this. The new car sales manager told me that the remaining stock of supplies got shuffled through the system in order to get used up. I know from when I and my family worked at a GMAD (Van Nuys) that unused parts were destroyed at the end of the model year. You ever watch those fancy aluminum Firebird wheels get a sledgehammer taken to them, or the AM/FM/8-track players? Sick. You'd think that GM would have found a way to get them in the parts system, but that probably cost more than the parts were worth.

Redneck Rydes 05-15-2019 09:08 AM

When I worked at GM Oshawa,the end of year stuff that did not get used in the 70s went to scrap also,I remember one of the old guys told me he had to take a load of muncie transmissions to the scrap yard and take a sledge hammer and bust all the ears of the transmissions.

Trackbar 05-15-2019 12:34 PM

My 70 C-10 built in 11-69 came with standard Blue interior with Red/orange exterior and interior paint. Basic truck, No AC, PS, PB, radio, Cig lighter, 3 on the tree, rubbermat, 307-2bbl. Only came across 1 with the same combo.

special-K 05-15-2019 07:13 PM

Great examples so far. You guys are crossing up dealer and factory. Some dealers may have been foolish enough to destroy stock, but obviously not all. I seriously doubt that Chevy would throw together oddballs at the end of the year to get rid of parts. 1- Car makers are required by law to carry replacement parts a minimum of ten years beyond model year. 2- At the end of model year it's about liquidating stock and putting out oddball stuff would be totally contrary to that. I guess if they all have end of the line serial numbers it could be true.

Imagine a Medium Gold Poly truck with Olive or Blue

robs71 05-15-2019 07:40 PM

a few years ago i bought a nice original 69 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive big block gmc from Jeff's bowties.It was medium gold with green interior..I think Jeff had acquired a longhorn in those same colors also.

Chevyland 05-15-2019 08:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I usually think odd is colors that clash and shouldn’t be together

What about no contrast !
White on white in a truck doesn’t make much sense ?

Steeveedee 05-15-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8526217)
Great examples so far. You guys are crossing up dealer and factory. Some dealers may have been foolish enough to destroy stock, but obviously not all. I seriously doubt that Chevy would throw together oddballs at the end of the year to get rid of parts. 1- Car makers are required by law to carry replacement parts a minimum of ten years beyond model year. 2- At the end of model year it's about liquidating stock and putting out oddball stuff would be totally contrary to that. I guess if they all have end of the line serial numbers it could be true.

Imagine a Medium Gold Poly truck with Olive or Blue

Replacement parts would have been in the parts division, and leftovers would be destroyed at the GMAD plants. It's pretty sickening to see those parts destroyed, but it's true. I don't think that a dealership would destroy parts. I managed to buy a set of paint break moldings for a painted top for my '64 Malibu SS in '71, when I worked for the dealer.

Already Gone 05-15-2019 11:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is one and was on Ebay for sale the last 6 months or so.

special-K 05-16-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 8526260)
I usually think odd is colors that clash and shouldn’t be together

What about no contrast !
White on white in a truck doesn’t make much sense ?

I guess that's a "no combo". Remember the smartasses when we were kids saying "White is not a color"? Reminds me of when I was building car models. I'd paint every detail and so did my buddies. Some kids would build w/o a stitch of paint, just glue them together white on white on white on white. We used to give them a hard time :lol:.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8526355)
Replacement parts would have been in the parts division, and leftovers would be destroyed at the GMAD plants. It's pretty sickening to see those parts destroyed, but it's true. I don't think that a dealership would destroy parts. I managed to buy a set of paint break moldings for a painted top for my '64 Malibu SS in '71, when I worked for the dealer.

My friend (older than me) was a body man at a GMC/Cadillac dealership and he was constantly dumpster diving prime parts for decades. It depends on the dealership I guess.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8526392)
Here is one and was on Ebay for sale the last 6 months or so.

HAPPY EASTER!!

Steeveedee 05-16-2019 10:48 AM

^ Lucky guy! He could get some pretty good money for those parts!

KQQL IT 05-16-2019 09:17 PM

Off topic but..
Did you see the blue interior yellow exterior squarebody all over Facebook
That was odd duck.

mrtoni 05-16-2019 11:06 PM

That’s the one I was thinking about when I saw the title.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KQQL IT (Post 8526857)
Off topic but..
That was odd duck.

special-K 05-17-2019 07:55 AM

I haven't. Post pictures

Ol Blue K20 05-17-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KQQL IT (Post 8526857)
Off topic but..
That was odd duck.

Pics please

KQQL IT 05-17-2019 09:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics, supposedly a original deal. spid matched

Ol Blue K20 05-17-2019 10:41 AM

I wonder if it was a AAA auto club vehicle.

Keith Seymore 05-17-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8526217)

I don't recall any cross-pollenization between service and production parts. The service part quantities were usually built up and concluded during the model year run.

Production parts have three stock disposition choices when making a change for the coming model year:

a) Use
b) Rework
c) Scrap

"Use" means the part can be carried over as is.

"Rework" typically would be the drilling of a hole, or maybe a software update in a radio or module. The subject parts would be pulled, quarantined and reworked either at the assembly plant or by the supplier (depending on the complexity). Reworked parts would be updated by a new part number, or by the addition of a paint dot or adhesive sticker, as authorized by the Temporary Work Order. Parts that had been reworked three or four or five times could get a bit confused.

"Scrap" parts are parts that cannot be used in the new model year because the don't match the new marketing intent (like an obsolete emblem or appearance item) or do not meet a new regulatory requirement. Those parts are pulled, red tagged and quarantined until somebody can get over there to bust them up with a sledgehammer or drill holes in them.

K

Keith Seymore 05-17-2019 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8525695)

My friend has this '69 with Medium Gold Poly paint and a Bright Red interior. Maybe the original owner was a 49ers fan

Maybe a NASCAR fan?

K

Keith Seymore 05-17-2019 01:55 PM

I ordered my truck with a red exterior and a "red" interior.

Turns out the "red" interior was more of a burgundy color. The ladies in my family hated it.

I got so much grief from them over the years that when I redid the truck I went with a black interior.

K

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...8.jpg~original

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...6.jpg~original

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...9.jpg~original

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...4.jpg~original

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...0.jpg~original

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/...9.jpg~original

Ol Blue K20 05-18-2019 10:50 AM

My 89 Suburban was Victory Red with a red interior. The interior was actually burgandy. Iwas shocked a bit but I got used to it.

KQQL IT 05-18-2019 11:06 AM

We had a '86 1ton white with the dark red interior