The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=348244)

duwem 10-11-2017 03:54 PM

Re: 52 GMC Envoy Burb meld/build

This thing is sweet.

I just pulled my truck out of storage, still drives like a stock worn out 1950 farm truck.

Got thinking Enovy/Trailblazer rolling chassis again.

Enovy wheelbase is 113" (I think this applies to the SS as well, the XL is way longer at 129")

Stock 3100 Chevy pickup is 116" (suburban is the same I believe)

Reading up on one of the guys that used to sell kits to put the pickups on regular cab long box S 10 frames which had 117.9" wheel base, he said the extra 2" on the s-10 centers the rear wheels better in the wheel arches.

Looking back at yours, do you think lengthening the Envoy frame would have helped vs doing the big fenders and moving/reshaping thing?

Also, any idea what GMPP did for that 53 they did other than widening the fronts 2"? I think it said they lengthened the frame too, wonder how much?

youngrodder 10-12-2017 11:58 AM

I love that back bumper. Do you remember how much you removed out of the middle? I would like to do something similar with a hidden hitch behind the license plate.

Looks good.

Marc

BBEEP 10-12-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duwem (Post 8058825)
This thing is sweet.

I just pulled my truck out of storage, still drives like a stock worn out 1950 farm truck.

Got thinking Enovy/Trailblazer rolling chassis again.

Enovy wheelbase is 113" (I think this applies to the SS as well, the XL is way longer at 129")

Stock 3100 Chevy pickup is 116" (suburban is the same I believe)

Reading up on one of the guys that used to sell kits to put the pickups on regular cab long box S 10 frames which had 117.9" wheel base, he said the extra 2" on the s-10 centers the rear wheels better in the wheel arches.

Looking back at yours, do you think lengthening the Envoy frame would have helped vs doing the big fenders and moving/reshaping thing?

Also, any idea what GMPP did for that 53 they did other than widening the fronts 2"? I think it said they lengthened the frame too, wonder how much?

1)Yes, the SS is the same (I have one...)
2)S10 chassis are too narrow, IMHO, while the TB is too wide in the front.
3)If you remember, stock trucks the rear wheel opening doesn't match the wheel, it sits forward in the opening. I wouldn't lengthen the chassis as the rear wheel well on the Envoy sat exactly on top of the 52's... I would either narrow the track of a 2wd TB or change the openings.
4)I simply don't know why they lengthened their chassis, but I will say, they were extremely impressed with the ideas implemented on mine!:metal:

BBEEP 10-12-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8059342)
I love that back bumper. Do you remember how much you removed out of the middle? I would like to do something similar with a hidden hitch behind the license plate.

Looks good.

Marc

Thanks...
I still have the piece I cut out of the stainless bumper--it is 21 7/8. The hitch surround and the license surround covers the welding and the brackets. My license plate is on a receiver.;)

youngrodder 10-12-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBEEP (Post 8059415)
Thanks...
I still have the piece I cut out of the stainless bumper--it is 21 7/8. The hitch surround and the license surround covers the welding and the brackets. My license plate is on a receiver.;)

Thanks, that was the same idea that I had. Where did you get the SS bumper from? I have one on my 48 and there was only one vendor that I was aware of.
Is the center section welded or bolted to the bumper ends? It looks like it might be bolted. If you have any pictures of the back of the bumper or the process that would be helpful. Since you used an Envoy frame I assume that you did not use the factory bumper brackets?

Thanks
Marc

mongocanfly 10-12-2017 05:19 PM

looking good bbeep

MiraclePieCo 02-10-2018 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey BBEEP, I know your bodyman very well; he's painted many cars for me. He's also the guy who built the amazing Chevy truck with FRONT AND REAR Olds Toronado engines/transaxles! Les is now about 80 years old with a full head of hair and still going strong. Evidently the secret to longevity is a lifetime of inhaling paint fumes and bondo dust ;-)

BBEEP 12-15-2020 12:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finally dialed in the wheels...

layinrocker65 12-15-2020 12:45 PM

Looks great. I found this build thread last month and was wondering how it all turned out.

youngrodder 12-15-2020 02:57 PM

I saw these pics on FB. I like the new wheels and the vintage door logo.....Great execution on this build.

dug224 12-17-2020 07:36 AM

What wheels did you use? Spare tire wheels? Perfect choice!!! Should have done that on mine.

FRENCHBLUE72 12-18-2020 09:17 PM

Looks so good..

G&R's57GMC 09-10-2021 02:12 PM

I just read through the whole build , Great project nice meld .
Great look !

About the time you were having wheel fit problems , reading this morning , I was chomping at the bit to chime in about using spare wheels . I see you found that out for yourself .

Question : How are the hub caps retained ?
My thought : By the shoulder on the chrome lug nuts ?

Your answer :

What's your next project ?