The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Looking at a 69 stepside for my 16 yr old son this saturday... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=619535)

boynton6spd 03-06-2014 10:20 PM

Looking at a 69 stepside for my 16 yr old son this saturday...

Inline 6/ 4sp on the floor with a granny gear.
Owner says it only needs rockers...
What are the major things to look for with this year model?
It's his daily driver with new brakes etc..
Thanks
-Matt

67ChevyRedneck 03-06-2014 10:24 PM

Re: Looking at a 69 stepside for my 16 yr old son this saturday...

In your area cab rot above the windshield and around the drip rails is common on these trucks when they spend a lot of time in rain/near the ocean.

Literally sit inside the truck and pull the windshield rubber down around the top of the windshield and inspect the drip rails thoroughly. Most rust repair on these trucks can be done by a novice with patience and practice, the roof area is lot more difficult to tackle. Gently push on the metal above the windshield too, if it moves and makes crunchy sounds it's probably bad.

Fitz 03-06-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton6spd (Post 6561667)
Inline 6/ 4sp on the floor with a granny gear.
Owner says it only needs rockers...
What are the major things to look for with this year model?
It's his daily driver with new brakes etc..
Thanks
-Matt

Get a refrigerator magnet. You know one of the flexible ones and put it in a handkerchief. Using the kerchief, ull it across those places where there might be rust. If it's been covered by more than 1/16 in of bondo these weak magnets fall right off the panel when they hit it. Most owners just hate to see someone do that because the sins they covered with body putty are always revealed.

71swb4x4 03-06-2014 10:44 PM

Post pictures on this site, we will help.

boynton6spd 03-06-2014 10:47 PM

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/4315265296.html

Here is the link...

71swb4x4 03-06-2014 10:55 PM

That looks like a decent first truck. In the picture showing the inside of the bed it looks like the back of the cab is dented.
The bed wood is incorrect, but that would be a great project for your son.
The straight 6 and the 4 speed is a pretty bullet proof combo, just right for a 16 year old... :lol:

Check it over real well for rust and bondo. Take a camera, and if you aren't sure about things come back here and post pictures of the questionable areas.

boynton6spd 03-06-2014 11:09 PM

Thanks for the advise...
My son mentioned a sheet of aluminum diamond plate for the bed...is that doable/common?
Seems wood will rot quickly in South Florida?

boynton6spd 03-08-2014 09:50 PM

Well. No sale on the short bed in Ft. Myers!
WAYYYYY too much rust!
Every part had holes crudely patched and the cab was trashed...firewall, roof, floors, jambs, EVERYTHING!
I wish the pics were more "honest"...the search continues...

67ChevyRedneck 03-08-2014 11:43 PM

It's for the best then.

Keep looking, one will turn up.

19673ontree 03-09-2014 08:21 AM

Thats the thing about these trucks they are SUPER popular and people think they can get a ridiculous price like that out of a rust bucket just BECAUSE ITS A 67 TO 72 be carefull and keep looking watch out for ANY truck with fresh paint ,,,,

Lou Boffa 03-09-2014 12:31 PM

Hang in there. There will be others. A solid, un-messed with, rust free(ish) '67-'72 is hard to find, but out there. The search - along with time spent on here-will make your choice better informed, and by the time you find "your" truck you will know way more than you do now--least thats the way it was for me. Also, make sure the first thing you all do is install a good set of shoulder/seat belts if the truck doesnt have them. Good luck.

boynton6spd 03-09-2014 03:17 PM

I'm starting to think that a "further along" nicer truck at the 7-8k price point is money well spent over something in the 2500-5000 price as they need ALOT more work at that price...am I correct in this or just getting impatient?
Thanks for all the help so far, this is a great forum!

19673ontree 03-09-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton6spd (Post 6566075)
I'm starting to think that a "further along" nicer truck at the 7-8k price point is money well spent over something in the 2500-5000 price as they need ALOT more work at that price...am I correct in this or just getting impatient?
Thanks for all the help so far, this is a great forum!

The problem with buying an $8K or so priced truck and your lack of knowledge of them is that their are trucks fixed to look good and sell for that ammount and for that sole purpose and for someone with not a great deal of time dealing with these trucks its easy to get took ! I stopped to look at a 68 in bristol tn several years ago and it looked awesome from the road and even looked awesome just 5 feet from it ! But it was a BIG POS ! Guy wanted $10K for it I looked at it and what I think happened was he got TOOK on it and was trying to pass the buck ! Which he did a few weeks later , if you buy one of these junkers made to look pretty for sale it will ruin your expeirience and your opinion of these trucks , MY SUGGESTION TO YOU is when you find one you like have someone look at it for you ? Id hate to see you have a bad deal good luck ,,,,,

67swb72klb 03-09-2014 03:37 PM

I would keep looking in your area and in the western states
getting rid of rust is a lot of work and $$ take your time and find the right truck

BC10 03-09-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton6spd (Post 6564905)
Well. No sale on the short bed in Ft. Myers!
WAYYYYY too much rust!
Every part had holes crudely patched and the cab was trashed...firewall, roof, floors, jambs, EVERYTHING!
I wish the pics were more "honest"...the search continues...

When I was reading this post, first thing I thought to myself was: "how much rust does it have?"

On my truck I have had to replace both rocker panels, a door, and a fender. But the rest of the truck hasnt been to bad. Take your time, it took me two months to find my 68 Short Bed Stepper. I am glad that I never settled, until I found exactly what i was looking for, especially with all the money that I have put into it!

o6r1man 03-09-2014 08:33 PM

My first truck was a 69 chevy long bed with straight 6 and granny 4 speed. Have some great memory's in that truck. I think it was perfect truck for me.