The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   71 3 on the tree gmc (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=714408)

metalheadlongbed 08-06-2016 11:25 PM

71 3 on the tree gmc

1 Attachment(s)
hello, my name is dylan and I'm 17. i decided to post on this just to see if anybody is interested in my project gmc. im running a 307 v8 engine with a 4 barrel carb.i got this truck from a trade with a k5. the body is in poor condition(it gives it that classic rusty look though) but everything under the body is great!The bed is rusted out ,but thats a project down the road.... so far ive completely redone done the interior. ill post pics of before and after interior work on my next post! :gmc2: check out my videos on the truck on my youtube page if interested! https://youtu.be/nGie85wjtLs
KEEP THESE TRUCKS ALIVE!!!

In The Ten Ring 08-07-2016 02:13 AM

Re: 71 3 on the tree gmc

Brother you do have your work cut out for you! :lol: Welcome to the forum.

Truck seems to have a lot going for it though and on this site you'll get tons of advice and meet helpful people galore.

I don't think I'd go for bondo as it tends to retain water and will further your rust problems.

It might be relatively easy for you to replace the bed with a wood bed.....that's an option for you.

swamp rat 08-07-2016 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalheadlongbed (Post 7675910)
hello, my name is dylan and I'm 17. i decided to post on this just to see if anybody is interested in my project gmc. im running a 307 v8 engine with a 4 barrel carb.i got this truck from a trade with a k5. the body is in poor condition(it gives it that classic rusty look though) but everything under the body is great!The bed is rusted out ,but thats a project down the road.... so far ive completely redone done the interior. ill post pics of before and after interior work on my next post! :gmc2: check out my videos on the truck on my youtube page if interested! https://youtu.be/nGie85wjtLs
KEEP THESE TRUCKS ALIVE!!!

If you want to show your progress start a build thread in the projects and builds section, here's the link, interest will grow as you post progress.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=115

custom10nut 08-07-2016 10:19 AM

Great looking truck. Welcome to the board
Do not "Bondo" the rust holes. You'll only be putting a band aid on it, and the rust will reappear shortly.
Take the time to cut out the bad, and weld in a patch, if you can't afford the replacement.
Since you're from Georgia, you're close to Lawrenceville, on the NE side of Atlanta. Year One, and Goodmark are right there. Both are real good people to deal with. Another great source of replacement parts are the vendors here on the forum, yet another source of parts and knowledge.
For advice? You have found the best source of information on 67-72 trucks available. Ask anything. BTW, don't get rid of your old seat. That frame looks in great shape. And it looks like Mother Nature has done half the work for you on the bed. Discard the rest and put in a wood one.
Again welcome to the board, and if you need anything, just ask.:metal:

54blackhornet 08-07-2016 12:36 PM

Congratulations ! Most guys your age are spending their time looking at a cell phone all day ! Take your time, do the job right and you will be proud of you GMC down the road...:metal:

In The Ten Ring 08-07-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54blackhornet (Post 7676259)
Congratulations ! Most guys your age are spending their time looking at a cell phone all day ! Take your time, do the job right and you will be proud of you GMC down the road...:metal:

"Looking at a cell phone all day," isn't that true! *That's true for most Americans no matter their age and it's a sad thing.

I'm glad the replacement seat is a bench seat....that, combined with the column shifter, will make dates very fun and enjoyable for both you and your chosen one. :) *You see, I was 17 once too, driving a 3OTT, and had both a bench seat and a hot GF. :ito:

metalheadlongbed 08-08-2016 02:40 PM

thanks for all the comments guys! glad to know im not the only one that sees the beauty in my rusty old truck lol. i posted a couple pics on what i did on interior if yall wanna check it out

In The Ten Ring 08-08-2016 06:30 PM

This truck is a great thing to have. You'll be able to haul things, which might end up making you popular. Even now I have to rent/borrow trucks.

You'll learn a lot by working on it.

You'll be different since you both have a manual shift and it's the rather odd 3OTT set up.

Your dates will appreciate the bench seat. :)

TwoFiftyShifter 08-08-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7677515)
This truck is a great thing to have. You'll be able to haul things, which might end up making you popular. Even now I have to rent/borrow trucks.

You'll learn a lot by working on it.

You'll be different since you both have a manual shift and it's the rather odd 3OTT set up.

Your dates will appreciate the bench seat. :)

Dang you are one hell of a bench seat fan! The old two lane rub-n-tug!

In The Ten Ring 08-08-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter (Post 7677621)
Dang you are one hell of a bench seat fan! The old two lane rub-n-tug!

I wondered if anyone would notice! :lol: Several times on this forum I have mentioned the value of the bench seat. Personally, I cannot see why anyone outside of a NASCAR racer would prefer a bucket seat to the bench seat.

Ken B 08-09-2016 06:37 AM

Other than the inside of the bed I'd say that your truck has some pretty good bones! What are the plans for the bed? Thanks for sharing...

TwoFiftyShifter 08-09-2016 07:44 AM

It's a great start. I've got a 71 project I'm working on over on the east side of town. 3 speed on the column too.

MoFormula 08-09-2016 07:48 AM

Love those four eye GMCs. Good luck.

metalheadlongbed 08-09-2016 11:37 AM

well the way the bed is rusted out... im not sure if a wood bed is possible. so if its definitely not possible i am just going to get a bed off another gmc. not gonna worry about that until after i put a new exhaust on

In The Ten Ring 08-09-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalheadlongbed (Post 7678136)
well the way the bed is rusted out... im not sure if a wood bed is possible. so if its definitely not possible i am just going to get a bed off another gmc. not gonna worry about that until after i put a new exhaust on

We'll need some good pics to give accurate advice on that....I'm thinking your bedsides are rusted too?

My truck's bed rotted out but the original owner was a professional welder at a coal mine. The coal mine would give away extra steel left over from projects and the original owner welded in 1/8 inch steel plate to the insides of the bed and seamlessly welded in the same to the bed floor. It is plug welded (bolted) to the bed frame and can be removed with one man and a couple of jacks.

Steel prices are rock bottom right now and I'll bet the welding instructor of a welding trade school could be hired to do the same for you. Just another option to think about.

My dad was my truck's original owner. :)

metalheadlongbed 08-09-2016 10:30 PM

yea ill get some pics of it tomorrow!