The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Who Cares (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=787485)

cj847 05-25-2019 04:07 PM

Project Who Cares

2 Attachment(s)
I recently picked up a 1966 Chevy 6 cyl, std, long bed (ie who cares). It is definitely a rat. I got it off a guy who got it off of a farmer, etc,etc. Anyway, he had overhauled the engine (in the truck) with new pistons, rings, and a complete rework of the head and had the carburetor rebuilt by "someone who knew what they were doing". It would start and would more forward and backward a few feet (no brakes).

In other words, I hauled home a pile of scrap that should have been parted out years ago.:waah:

I like to tinker with these old trucks, but this thing may break me (my back and my wallet).

Attached are some pics:

cj847 05-25-2019 04:16 PM

Re: Project Who Cares

1 Attachment(s)
My goal (if I don't give up on it), is something like this 64 lowered long bed I saw at a local car show.

68Gold/white 05-25-2019 05:48 PM

So, other than the look of post 2, what would you like to do to it???

I'm glad you have it. If nothing else,maybe you can make it reliable and sell it another day.

Killer Bee 05-25-2019 06:28 PM

I care :)

how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time!

so get busy savin' that poor old beast, good luck!

cj847 05-25-2019 10:41 PM

Thanks for the encouragement.

For now I am going to get it running and safe. Then the mods may or may not begin.

So far I have replaced the front brakes, master cyl, packed wheel brgs, etc. Also, cleaned up some wiring and switches. Headlight sw; high beam sw; lubed up everything. I find that the wipers work, the blower motor is OK but only one speed, so I need a resistor.

In my closer inspection I am finding more stuff completely worn out than expected. I know it's old, but generally some of the stuff has been replaced. So, the good and the bad is that it is worn out, but I am not reworking someone else's crappy work. Hey it has uncut original wiring harness that is in fantastic condition.

The front end - ball joints are so bad I am concerned that the wheels will fall off. The carrier bearing is completely rusty and barely hanging on.

lol....wawawa......I am sure everyone on here has gone thru the same thing.

cj847 06-01-2019 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Update: I got the thing running and drove it about a block and back.

I think this is part of the problem:

cj847 06-01-2019 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did not have any problems shifting, but I noticed the steering bearing was gone, so I rebuilt that as well.

Warrens69GMC 06-01-2019 11:57 AM

Do 1 thing at a time , and the enjoyment you get out of driving this truck will far exceed any sweat equity.

Getter-Done 06-01-2019 12:16 PM

Great project truck.
I like your comment about the engine.
Overhauled in the truck.
I'm subbed.

cj847 09-14-2019 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick update. Been spending time fixing stuff randomly. It is now tuned, new radiator. rebuilt driveshaft, rebuilt steering column, new brake lines, etc,etc. It is safe to take on the road except for the ball joints. Plan to get that done next week.

TJ's Chevy 09-17-2019 10:03 PM

Subbed and liking the build :chevy:

68Gold/white 09-20-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj847 (Post 8531744)
Thanks for the encouragement.

For now I am going to get it running and safe. Then the mods may or may not begin.

So far I have replaced the front brakes, master cyl, packed wheel brgs, etc. Also, cleaned up some wiring and switches. Headlight sw; high beam sw; lubed up everything. I find that the wipers work, the blower motor is OK but only one speed, so I need a resistor.

In my closer inspection I am finding more stuff completely worn out than expected. I know it's old, but generally some of the stuff has been replaced. So, the good and the bad is that it is worn out, but I am not reworking someone else's crappy work. Hey it has uncut original wiring harness that is in fantastic condition.

The front end - ball joints are so bad I am concerned that the wheels will fall off. The carrier bearing is completely rusty and barely hanging on.

lol....wawawa......I am sure everyone on here has gone thru the same thing.

Yeah.....On these relic's I expect NOTHING to be in even fair condition...that way I am never surprised. It's the way some of this stuff was operated at the end of it's life expectancy. As late as even the 80's an old vehicle was a liability, just junk if it wasn't usable...

cj847 09-28-2019 12:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For those on a budget, I thought I would post pics of the wheel tub widening job the previous owner did on my POS. :lol:

Getter-Done 09-28-2019 03:12 PM

Is the side pieces Cut on 45 degree angles?:lol:
Will you be selling temples?:lol:

JK

cj847 10-10-2019 08:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the ball joints, tie rod ends, and idler arm installed. Now I'm not worried about the wheels falling off. I drove it to the local liquor store tonight (obviously I am out after working on this thing as much as I have). Did a little cosmetic work on the grill and tailgate with a can of white spray paint and a little rubbing with lacquer thinner. Also put new rear springs in. They were listed as 3" drop, which i think was about 2" higher than the worn out stock springs.

Katrina/10 10-11-2019 08:38 AM

Looking good!

cj847 10-29-2019 01:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I took my project to a car show this weekend. There were 130 cars or so in the show. My beautifully restored machine managed to win a trophy.......in the rat rod class...lol.

Getter-Done 10-29-2019 10:07 PM

Congratulations
That's a good House décor item.

LT7A 05-25-2022 01:31 AM

Anything else? I always like the "fix what's there" threads and was just settling in for a good read, and suddenly the story was over, haha.

SCOTI 05-25-2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9083211)
Anything else? I always like the "fix what's there" threads and was just settling in for a good read, and suddenly the story was over, haha.

Agreed. Was waiting for more to be added to this story.