The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Fuel Lines...stuck again (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=775050)

1971Stepside 11-12-2018 12:51 PM

Fuel Lines...stuck again

I did extensive searching on the forum and found all the parts that I thought I needed to run my fuel line from the engine (non-return) to my tank (in frame).

I ordered Russel fittings from summit and Summit's PTFE braided hose. Well, the hose doesn't fit the fittings. I called Russel and they told me that PTFE hose won't work. I asked them what hose they recommended and they said to use solid aluminum hose to avoid the fuel smell.

So, do I send back all of my fittings or do I order different hose? I don't want the smell in my garage. If I need different fittings, I don't see Russel fittings that work with PTFE hose. If I order new hose, where/what? Does someone make a solid line that will run from the cab to the rear of the frame?

One step forward...three steps back.

BR3W CITY 11-12-2018 12:59 PM

Re: Fuel Lines...stuck again

PTFE hose uses fittings with a different ferrule on the hose end. I think on summit you can specify hose type when searching fittings.

I run braided line from pump up to my frame, then 3/8 hardline up to the firewall, with another section of flex going from firewall to rails.

1971Stepside 11-12-2018 01:03 PM

Brew...I only see that Aeroquip makes these. I don't see them for Russel? Am I missing them? Also, do you have any fuel odor due to the braided line?

mongocanfly 11-12-2018 01:15 PM

Im using all steel braid...no smell...I would think if you can smell gas then you would also have explosive vapors in the air....one good thing about summit...they'll take back just about anything if you need to send it back..

1971Stepside 11-12-2018 01:21 PM

Mongocanfly....to clarify, you are not using PTFE line, correct?

mongocanfly 11-12-2018 01:30 PM

No...steel braid from tank to rails

65blackfleetside 11-12-2018 02:57 PM

I followed the advice of the veterans on here and purchased AN fitting and a black braided steel line.
Here is the hose I purchased on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/SUNROAD-Unive...ess+steel+hose.

I purchased all of the AN fitting on Amazon too. I think some came fro jegs via amazon..

The AN route is not cheap but its easy to work with once you figure out the fittings and whats available+ its bullet proof if installed properly.

I purchased the Speedway corvette filter /pressure reg and walbro 392 combo kit - It had a few AN's with it .

If you have the option to run an in tank pump - I would go that route instead. My Walbro 392 is a bit whiny. + when you add it all up I think I spent about 300 total with hose, filter, fittings etc. You can run an intank pump for that .

1971Stepside 11-12-2018 03:34 PM

Thank you 65blackfleetside. How long have you ran this hose? Are you getting any fuel odor from it? I have all of the AN fittings from Russell already.

sweetk30 11-12-2018 04:23 PM

i got the dorman fuel line repair kit and 2 rolls of 3/8 and 5/16 line and made my own nylon lines just like o.e.m has been doing for years . pressure tested before body on truck and no leaks . and truck runs no leaks .

i have around just under 300 in the whole kit setup from dorman . and later on i can make more / fix others / replace ends as needed . so its a win/win/win .

but each to there own on brand / product you wish to run .

my combo is intake pump 60psi 29lph 3/8 feed 5/16 return to aftermarket efi system feeding 300hp gm new engine .

Macdaddy1 11-12-2018 04:34 PM

I bought the lines from Tanks INC. that they recommended.

mongocanfly 11-12-2018 05:45 PM

On my current build I'm using the black braid hose instead of Stainless outer ...i got all fittings and hose from jegs...

1971Stepside 11-12-2018 06:07 PM

Alright. I ordered the Russell ProFlex braided -6AN hose. We will try it. I guess if it gets stinky I can replace a big portion of it with solid line later. I did call a couple places and they said it was the ethanol in the gas that was causing the breakdown and most newer hoses were handling it better than a few years ago, but both did say that overtime the corn would break the rubber down. So, buying good gas is the trick maybe???

BR3W CITY 11-12-2018 06:29 PM

Honestly I have no clue if the lines contributed to vapor at all. I've had a few vehicles that used them and never really thought about it. When parked, my truck has an open vent off the tank, so on a hot day you might smell it a tiny bit, if your near it (like, head in the bed).

Running my truck for any length of time makes everything in the area smell like gas so I have no clue.

verdell 11-12-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65blackfleetside (Post 8382815)
I followed the advice of the veterans on here and purchased AN fitting and a black braided steel line.
Here is the hose I purchased on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/SUNROAD-Unive...ess+steel+hose.

I purchased all of the AN fitting on Amazon too. I think some came fro jegs via amazon..

The AN route is not cheap but its easy to work with once you figure out the fittings and whats available+ its bullet proof if installed properly.

I purchased the Speedway corvette filter /pressure reg and walbro 392 combo kit - It had a few AN's with it .

If you have the option to run an in tank pump - I would go that route instead. My Walbro 392 is a bit whiny. + when you add it all up I think I spent about 300 total with hose, filter, fittings etc. You can run an intank pump for that .

I ran the same line from tank to fuel rails. For me, it was a bit more difficult to work with having a black nylon sleeve rather that just braided stainless. Worked out great though.

sprint_9 11-13-2018 07:37 PM

You have to run fittings matched to the line you are running, its not advised to mix and match hose fittings and hose when making lines. You can use different brands of adapters (AN to AN, NPT to AN, etc.), but when it comes to the actual hose fittings themselves they should match brands to the hose you are using.

The reason its important to run matching hose ends and hose is that each brand of hose is made differently then the next, and for that matter a certain brand might have 2 different models of similar hose, but they take different specialized fittings.

PTFE is an inner liner impervious to all known fuels, oils and coolants used in automotive applications. This will stop any vapor from seeping.

The outside braided stainless or braided nylon has zero effect on vapor seepage. It is simply an outside wrap for protection.

1971Stepside 11-15-2018 09:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Trying this from my phone. Mocked up my lines a little tonight. Thoughts on distance from headers and clearance for shift linkage?

sprint_9 11-16-2018 12:02 AM

Where you come close to the header you could run some of the aluminized fiberglass wrap, I ran some on mine, not sure how much it helps but I would think it would make a difference.

truckdude239 11-18-2018 12:40 PM

i used the summit ptfe braide hose and ordered the summit brand fitting for it ive had no issuses with my set up